Cisco retires 642 -901 exam [not]...

Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
hxxp://www.cisco.com/web/learning/le3/current_exams/642-901.html

I HAVE A FEW FRNDS WHO TOOK THE EXAM LAST WEEK EVEN ONE THIS MORNING AND NOW THE CISCO SITE SAYS THE EXAM IS RETIRED................ THIS IS JOKE..........
Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".

Comments

• kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I think we can safely assume that someone screwed up somehow. Cisco wouldn't retire an exam without prior announcement and no replacement exam. There's no way that Cisco would remove the routing portion of the CCNP.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Why don't you check out the NEW and CURRENT CCNP web page that Cisco has been hawking at The Cisco Learning Network - CCNP Certification

Someone without a clue is probably doing maintenance on the old site and is mixing up the old 642-801 with newer 642-901.

I'm sure the people who have taken the 642-901 exam since August 11, 2008 would have mentioned any issues they had taking the exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
    It looks like the old CCNP web page has been edited to include the 642-901 BSCI exam again. The CCNP Syllabus link on that page has always led to the correct information on The Cisco Learning Network Page. The 642-901 link on that page is now pointing to The Cisco Learning Network exam page that remained correct through this "incident."

I guess I won't get to post my theory now about Time Traveling Space Aliens stealing all the BSCI exams from the past -- which would explain how an exam could suddenly be retired over 5 months ago.

Hopefully the idiot who made the mistake will remember where they made changes and get the rest of the pages fixed soon.

The "retired exam page" no longer shows the exam as retired.
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The web admin got drunk on saturday night. I can see no other explanation for such a mistake.
    ccnpninja wrote: »
    The web admin got drunk on saturday night. I can see no other explanation for such a mistake.
    The Cisco Learning Network is the "new site" that Cisco appears to have outsourced and has been "pushing."

I'd guess the people who worked on the "old site" and "had a clue" probably moved on to new jobs and someone without a clue took over maintenance of the existing site -- for however long it lasts.

It looks like all the exam links on the old CCNP page are being pointed towards that outsourced Jivesoftware site.
    It looks like the old 642-901 BSCI exam page has been fixed and no longer shows the exam as retired over 5 months ago.

I'm not sure what's more annoying -- the original error or all the people who seemed to believe the error icon_rolleyes.gif

And don't even get me started on all the people who "talked to Cisco" and "confirmed with the certification help desk" (even though it was closed for the weekend) that it was true.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I knew better than to click on this thread but I did anyway.

:)
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    It looks like the old 642-901 BSCI exam page has been fixed and no longer shows the exam as retired over 5 months ago.

I'm not sure what's more annoying -- the original error or all the people who seemed to believe the error icon_rolleyes.gif

And don't even get me started on all the people who "talked to Cisco" and "confirmed with the certification help desk" (even though it was closed for the weekend) that it was true.

Maybe they have special access....icon_wink.gif:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

• NSSANSSA Member Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I heard a rumor that the CCIE lab component now requires participants to partake in an overly elaborate dance. icon_cool.gif
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    NSSA wrote: »
    I heard a rumor that the CCIE lab component now requires participants to partake in an overly elaborate dance. icon_cool.gif

I believe the dance is the "penultimate hop pop." I saw it on dancing with the stars icon_lol.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • ITdudeITdude Member Posts: 1,181 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you sure that it wasn't the Bollywood?:)
    I usually hang out on 224.0.0.10 (FF02::A) and 224.0.0.5 (FF02::5) when I'm in a non-proprietary mood.

Cisco would still honor the exam credit whether it was one generation or the next during a transition to a new format as stated in their FAQ that I had read a while back. This means that while trying to pass the CCNP... If you had both BSCI and BCMSN in the old format, then passed ISCW and ONT in the new format, you would still get the CCNP certification. There is no need for a mad rush to finish if a version of the certification was marked for retirement as a new version was being rolled out.

Of course, as long as this is all done prior to those exam credit expiring... I believe 3 years...
  • BleegoBleego Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe the dance is the "penultimate hop pop." I saw it on dancing with the stars icon_lol.gif

Everytime I see the words "Penultimate hop pop" I get "Zoot Suit Riot" stuck in my head.
    NSSA wrote: »
    CCIE lab component now requires participants to partake in an overly elaborate dance. icon_cool.gif
    Grrr!! Any idea if they will be individual dances or do we have to learn and perform a group routine to gain access to the CCIE Lab Room?
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Grrr!! Any idea if they will be individual dances or do we have to learn and perform a group routine to gain access to the CCIE Lab Room?
    I believe it's a group effort and as a group you have to choreograph your own dance routine. The judges, err proctors, then make nasty comments about most of your efforts and they open up voting to the American public. A day or two later after Cisco has made $1.6 million in SMS text messaging fees you are told if you are allowed to continue to the next round (the lab). The most popular CCIE candidate gets a measly paying 1 year contract to work for Cisco TAC too.

icon_lol.gif
  • itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    How do you guys deal with just missing deadlines on exams? Say for example,
    the current CCNP is going to expire soon? with a new track?? I mean when will the current CCNP (4 certs in all) expire. So Say I take the BSCI and then all 4 expire then what do It do?
    am I screwed? or do I need to finish with an expired exam track or do I have to completely restart over????? to the new CCNP BSCI?? I mean how have you gurus done it. So really you have to have a good start time and a good pace to finish a CCNP series before it retires.
    I mean like you have say MCSE 2003. That really doesnt expire until the technology isnt used anymore. so that could be in 2011 or so. But what about Cisco? Doesnt Cisco change their entire series every 3 years religiously????? so I am screw if I take say the BSCI at end of year and pass. And then next year 2010 they expire the BSCI 901 then what???? holy crap.]
    It seems it is about timing as well. what do you guys think? In order for me to be CCNP
    on the current 901 BSCI I am going to have to complete entire CCNP in what say 1 or 2 years????
    Exams "are good" for 3 year -- so you've got 3 years from start to finish to do all the exams to get a Cisco Certification. When Cisco changes a track, they usually give you 5 to 6 months advance notice about the exam changes AND you get a mix 'n match options for the old/new exams.

The biggest issue you'll face is if you by the boxed set of the Cisco Exam Certification Guides and then Cisco announces a major change.

But you may want to hurry -- I'm now starting a rumor that Cisco is going to start writing all their exams in Pig Latin. That will even the test taking playing field since no one will then be taking the exam in their native language.
  • NetwurkNetwurk Member Posts: 1,155 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Cisco is going to start writing all their exams in Pig Latin.

What the uckfay is Pig Latin?

;)
  • ciscojay-houstonciscojay-houston Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    the current CCNP is going to expire soon? with a new track?? I mean when will the current CCNP (4 certs in all) expire. So Say I take the BSCI and then all 4 expire then what do It do?
    am I screwed? or do I need to finish with an expired exam track or do I have to completely restart over????? to the new CCNP BSCI?? I mean how have you gurus done it. So really you have to have a good start time and a good pace to finish a CCNP series before it retires.
    I mean like you have say MCSE 2003. That really doesnt expire until the technology isnt used anymore. so that could be in 2011 or so. But what about Cisco? Doesnt Cisco change their entire series every 3 years religiously????? so I am screw if I take say the BSCI at end of year and pass. And then next year 2010 they expire the BSCI 901 then what???? holy crap.]
    It seems it is about timing as well. what do you guys think? In order for me to be CCNP
    on the current 901 BSCI I am going to have to complete entire CCNP in what say 1 or 2 years????
    Welcome to the world of Cisco certifications. If you have your CCNA, passing any 642-xxx exam will keep it current. Most of the time, Cisco changes one or two of the tests within the CCNP track. If you can finish the exams within 1.5-2 years, you generally are okay. Just stay focused on what you're working on and worry about it when it gets close. That's all you can do. Don't let "hype" block your advancement.
    mike you crack me up piglatin! you are dated man! haahaahha you kill me

cisco texan,,

thanks wow you have some nice certs i like that combo very powerful!

robert;)
  • ciscojay-houstonciscojay-houston Banned Posts: 14 ■□□□□□□□□□
    itdaddy wrote: »
    I found this on Cisco's exam page. As long as you pass the first exam for the current track, you have 3 years to complete that track. If they retire an exam, you must take the new version if that is part you are lacking for the track. Short story, you've got 3 years to complete the CCNP track, taking any current exams available to you to complete the 4 tests.

Answer
    thanks cisco jay

yeah chris bryant said the exact same thing that is great news really
    thanks fo ryour reply very nice of you man! keep up the great work on your certs man
    robert;)