DHCP Conflict Detection Attempts

Ok so I know what it's used for, but was wondering what if I had clients from another company with the same IP address block, lets say 172.16.0.x in both offices come together. All clients are running Windows XP Pro.

Question is, will conflict detection be able to bypass the firewall? I know by default XP Pro blocks ICMP echo requests? Is this true?

If it is, is there a group policy or something to enable ICMP?

Comments

• Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Anyone?.....................................................
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check this out: Deploying Windows Firewall Settings With Group Policy

Conflict detection uses regular 'ol pings, so they will probably be blocked by default.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    Don't remember has ping always been blocked in XP or did it start at SP2? I don't recall.
    I believe SP2 was when the firewall was automatically enabled.
  • PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I believe that pings are automatically blocked with SP2, you will need to make an exception for them, as they can be used maliciously. I can't remember if ICF in SP1 blocked them or not.
  • lost33causelost33cause Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need to weigh the pros and cons of having a firewall installed on the local PC. I'm personally a fan of controlling firewalls from a central location such as hardware and it facing the internet and not on the local PC.
    You need to weigh the pros and cons of having a firewall installed on the local PC. I'm personally a fan of controlling firewalls from a central location such as hardware and it facing the internet and not on the local PC.

You should use both. How does only using a hardware solution for the internet protect clients from internal threats, such as other employees or someone plugging into a jack or hopping on the WiFi? Software firewalls have numerous benefits.

You can centrally manage software firewalls as well.