I'm confused. Am I MCSE or not?!

Hi guys. I've just got an e-mail from MS congratulating me on becoming an MCSE, but I swear I had another elective exam to take to get there (70-620 in my case)

I have the following exams, this is from my transcript...

298 -

294 -

293 -

291 -

290 -

000 - (This isn't just Comptia+, it's Network+ too)

270 -

Now from going from the MS site, it says I need..

4 core Networking exams (which I have - 290, 291, 293, 294)
1 core Client exam (which I have - 270)
1 core Design exam (which I have - 29icon_cool.gif

Now here's the confusing part, It says I need 1 elective exam which I thought I would need to pass 70-620 (or any other listed on the site here MCSE on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements)

The only explanation I can see is that the A+ counted as an elective for my MCSA and MS allow you to use the Network+ as an elective for the MCSE? If this is correct someone please put me out of my misery and verify it so I can get on the boozer Friday icon_biggrin.gif

Comments

• ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I believe the A+ Net+ only counts for the elective for the MCSA and not the MCSE. This means you would need to take another elective to get your MCSE.

Hope this helps. I would wait to check with one of the other members but i do believe i am right.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • mr2nutmr2nut Member Posts: 269
    But if I log into my MCP login, it clearly states that I am now MCSE certified. It lets me print it out and I had a confirmation e-mail to my MCP e-mail address. :-S confused!
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This happened to someone else on this board. Sounds like something was changed and no one got notified.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Weird isn't it. I'm assuming MS wouldn't be stupid enough to make an error like this and let congratulation e-mails go out, having the ability to print transcripts and create logos etc.

Looks like they are now recognising N+ as a good elective but haven't updated their website?
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Log-in to the MCP website.

https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/Default.mspx

Goto "View My" > Check "Certification Planner" and see what is being accepted as credit. Anything with a check mark is shown as being accepted credit by Microsoft. Should look something like this example...

MCSA_security_requirements-1.jpg
    mamono wrote: »
    Log-in to the MCP website.

https://mcp.microsoft.com/mcp/Default.mspx

Goto "View My" > Check "Certification Planner" and see what is being accepted as credit. Anything with a check mark is shown as being accepted credit by Microsoft. Should look something like this example...

MCSA_security_requirements-1.jpg

MCSA and MCSE 2003 won't show in this list now as I already have them.
    Well it's let me order my MCSE welcome pack and its on its way. I even rang the Regional Center to confirm. Strange, but.....BOOZE TIME THIS WEEKEND! icon_biggrin.gif
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    mr2nut wrote: »
    Well it's let me order my MCSE welcome pack and its on its way. I even rang the Regional Center to confirm. Strange, but.....BOOZE TIME THIS WEEKEND! icon_biggrin.gif

LOL, yeah, I picked up MCSE 2000: Security, MCSA 2000/2003: Security months after I passed my ISA 2006 exam. They changed the requirements two months after I passed it to include that exam as an additional elective for those certs. Needless to say, when I checked my transcript after passing my first Exchange 2007 exam, I was absolutely baffled when I saw those certs, since Exchange has nothing to do with their security certs.

Nothing like getting certs when you're not expecting it. icon_lol.gif
    Good luck to all!
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Same thing happened to me too. I went ahead and took the elective anyways, I didn't want to run the risk of getting my cert yanked. Plus I took an elective that gave me MCTS as well, so that may be something you can look into since nothing official has been put out about N+ being accepted as an elective for MCSE.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I just checked my transcript and it looks like Microsoft decided to give me the MCSE:S and MCSA:S as well. It looks like they count Security+ & A+ together as an elective. Weirdness.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    undomiel wrote: »
    It looks like they count Security+ & A+ together as an elective. Weirdness.

I wrote to MCPHelp about that a while back and never got a response.
  • MikeInMoseleyMikeInMoseley Member Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
    undomiel wrote: »
    I just checked my transcript and it looks like Microsoft decided to give me the MCSE:S and MCSA:S as well. It looks like they count Security+ & A+ together as an elective. Weirdness.

Security + counts as an elective for the MCSE on its own
    aordal wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me too. I went ahead and took the elective anyways, I didn't want to run the risk of getting my cert yanked. Plus I took an elective that gave me MCTS as well, so that may be something you can look into since nothing official has been put out about N+ being accepted as an elective for MCSE.

Beat you to it lol. Ta anyway. Took my 70-620 today anyway as im going for enterprise admin 2008. Very easy client exam. 957 and i was gutted to not get 1000 it was that easy. 2 more to in to upgrade now! icon_smile.gif
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Security + counts as an elective for the MCSE on its own

Right, I understand that. But the MCSE:S requires two electives and it looks like they are counting the A+ & Security+ as a combo for the second elective. Or else they reduced the elective count to one.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • StrikeZoneStrikeZone Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    It happened to me. They sent me my cert before I took the 298 exam. Even my transcript show that I was an MCSE. Six months later I checked my transcript and I was no long an MCSE.
    StrikeZone wrote: »
    It happened to me. They sent me my cert before I took the 298 exam. Even my transcript show that I was an MCSE. Six months later I checked my transcript and I was no long an MCSE.

With all respect, did you not think it would be a good idea to take the 298 exam to get the MCSE as MS state that it is a required exam? The way that I have got my MCSE is because I think the elective Network+ counted for my MCSE. Either way, I took 70-620 last week and passed so I am 100% MCSE now.
  • MishraMishra Member Posts: 2,468 ■■■■□□□□□□
    mr2nut wrote: »
    With all respect, did you not think it would be a good idea to take the 298 exam to get the MCSE as MS state that it is a required exam? The way that I have got my MCSE is because I think the elective Network+ counted for my MCSE. Either way, I took 70-620 last week and passed so I am 100% MCSE now.

I wouldn't say that is fair. He didn't even say he was angry that he had to take the 298 after his MCSE disappeared. Since the 298 is overview, I would be happy to not have to take it if I saw that I had a MCSE already.
    My blog http://www.calegp.com

You may learn something!
    Mishra wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that is fair. He didn't even say he was angry that he had to take the 298 after his MCSE disappeared. Since the 298 is overview, I would be happy to not have to take it if I saw that I had a MCSE already.

I didn't mean that at all in a harsh way, the internet can make things sound worse than intended.
  • KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    automation can be a problem if the data or the entry information are wrong or delay...

Congrat MCSE :)
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn