(Another) VCP-310 Exam Today

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
Argh, I did worse than Stupid Boy! What does that make me? icon_cry.gif

Anyway, I've finally got this behind me with a pathetic 77. This is my most disliked exam up to this point. There is so much information they could use to make quality questions, and they focus on so much stupid trivia (i.e. recall what part of the interface looks like). It was frustrating. I reviewed 37 pages of notes from the Exam Cram book, and hardly any of that was on the exam. VCB, Converter, and Consolidation made up a huge portion of my exam, and those were barely touched upon in my other resources. I meant to read the white papers, but I didn't have time because...

My special (literally) upstairs neighbor thought it would be a good idea to leave his bathroom window open when it's -20 outside, and he froze all his pipes. I no longer have a bedroom, and it's going to take a minimum of three days to dry, and then around three weeks for them to tear apart the ceiling and a wall or two (these are of course exterior walls). No clue what I'm going to do. I guess I'll start looking at Exchange a bit since I have a job coming up where I'm going to have to be useful with it.

I'll give you guys the short version of this story to help put this guy in perspective. He's about a year older than me, and I've befriended him because no one else really likes him. I was up at his place about a year ago, and I saw a big bowl of noodles with a white sauce in his fridge. He later said he cooked dinner, and I replied, "Yea, I saw that in the fridge. It looks like you used a white sauce. Is that Alfredo?" With this dumbfounded look on his face, he replies, "Uhh.. that's Mayo."

Fettuccine Mayonnaise: Mmm Mmm Goodness! icon_eek.gif

He smokes and cooks, so I guess I'm thankful he didn't burn the entire building down. He's got renter's insurance (which I assume they required), and it sounds like they're going to cover everything. Hopefully my entire bedroom set is ruined; I'm sick of it anyway icon_lol.gif

It's still a hassle I don't need right now...

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Woohoo! Congratulations on your VCP and congratulations on your insta-remodel project!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Wow, but on the brighter side... CONGRATS! :)
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    dynamik wrote:

I must have got the easy exam, don't take it to heart icon_wink.gif
    dynamik wrote:
    Anyway, I've finally got this behind me with a pathetic 77. This is my most disliked exam up to this point. There is so much information they could use to make quality questions, and they focus on so much stupid trivia (i.e. recall what part of the interface looks like). It was frustrating. I reviewed 37 pages of notes from the Exam Cram book, and hardly any of that was on the exam. VCB, Converter, and Consolidation made up a huge portion of my exam, and those were barely touched upon in my other resources. I meant to read the white papers, but I didn't have time because...

I only know three things about VCB, Windows, Physical, Lan Free Backups thank god I got the easy exam :D
    dynamik wrote:
    My special (literally) upstairs neighbor thought it would be a good idea to leave his bathroom window open when it's -20 outside, and he froze all his pipes. I no longer have a bedroom, and it's going to take a minimum of three days to dry, and then around three weeks for them to tear apart the ceiling and a wall or two (these are of course exterior walls). No clue what I'm going to do. I guess I'll start looking at Exchange a bit since I have a job coming up where I'm going to have to be useful with it.

I'll give you guys the short version of this story to help put this guy in perspective. He's about a year older than me, and I've befriended him because no one else really likes him. I was up at his place about a year ago, and I saw a big bowl of noodles with a white sauce in his fridge. He later said he cooked dinner, and I replied, "Yea, I saw that in the fridge. It looks like you used a white sauce. Is that Alfredo?" With this dumbfounded look on his face, he replies, "Uhh.. that's Mayo."

Fettuccine Mayonnaise: Mmm Mmm Goodness! icon_eek.gif

He smokes and cooks, so I guess I'm thankful he didn't burn the entire building down. He's got renter's insurance (which I assume they required), and it sounds like they're going to cover everything. Hopefully my entire bedroom set is ruined; I'm sick of it anyway icon_lol.gif

It's still a hassle I don't need right now...

What a nightmare, I am glad that you are all covered for getting it all fixed.

I live in a mid-terrace house and my neighbours do little more than bicker at all times of the day and night icon_sad.gif

I can't wait for the economy to sort its self out so I can sell my house. I really need a bigger house with NO neighbours and a big garden icon_wink.gif

MOST IMPORTANTLY ... CONGRATULATIONS

What's next on your list ... R&R?
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats Dynamik!

Go and grab a nice bowl of fettuccine mayonnaise from your friendly, laid back neighbour to celebrate*

[size=-2]*then go look at some new bedroom stuff[/size]
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Congrats Dynamik...sounds like that was a rough one.
  • bwcartybwcarty Member Posts: 422 ■■■□□□□□□□
    dynamik wrote: »

Anyway, I've finally got this behind me with a pathetic 77. This is my most disliked exam up to this point. There is so much information they could use to make quality questions, and they focus on so much stupid trivia (i.e. recall what part of the interface looks like). It was frustrating. I reviewed 37 pages of notes from the Exam Cram book, and hardly any of that was on the exam. VCB, Converter, and Consolidation made up a huge portion of my exam, and those were barely touched upon in my other resources.

It's been a few months since I took and passed it. How detailed were those VCB questions? I had a few on my test, and they weren't very technical....if you knew what the acronym VCB stood for, you'd probably get the questions right.

Anyhow, congrats on the pass and welcome to the VCP ranks!
    Help eradicate blood cancers with a donation to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society.
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    fettuccine mayo, eh? Sounds midwestern to me icon_wink.gif dude congrants on the VCP and I know how you feel on the apartment hassles

my condo a few years back had a shower leak (newly remodeled condos, mind you) and my upstairs shower made a 8'x8' hole in my kitchen ceiling because of a pipe leak (copper joint that wasn't soldered or tested correctly). One week later (it was spring break, and my buddies were in town) it was finished. But what a damn hassle. Godspeed to a quick apartment recovery.
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Congrats, and good for your career. We are living in a virtualized world, and now you are a virtual girl...or guy. :D
    Good luck to all!
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations! I know you're glad to have this one behind you.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats dynamik!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Congrats on passing this one dynamik. Hope you had a chance to enjoy a couple celebratory drinks and maybe a nice plate of "fettuccine con maionese".
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Congrats dynamik!! Another great story for your neighbor I take it ;)
  • snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    astorrs wrote: »
    Congrats on passing this one dynamik. Hope you had a chance to enjoy a couple celebratory drinks and maybe a nice plate of "fettuccine con maionese".

In Italian, mayonnaise is pronounced "merda" icon_lol.gif
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    stupidboy wrote: »
    I must have got the easy exam, don't take it to heart icon_wink.gif

Possibly, but I really don't consider you to be stupid, so it's all good anyway ;)
    stupidboy wrote: »
    What's next on your list ... R&R?

Unfortunately, no. I wasn't joking about getting into Exchange. I have a project that I need to work on in 10 days or so, and I need to get up to speed quickly.
    bwcarty wrote: »
    It's been a few months since I took and passed it. How detailed were those VCB questions? I had a few on my test, and they weren't very technical....if you knew what the acronym VCB stood for, you'd probably get the questions right.

I probably had five or six, and they were more specific than that. Some of them were things I don't even remember seeing anywhere. I'd definitely encourage people to read the white paper; it's one of the shorter ones.

astorrs wrote: »

Yea, I had a few beers and got to disassemble a waterlogged king-size bed; it was great.

The mayo dish (I love the fancy name btw) is kind of fun to joke about it, but it was pretty nauseating to see in person. Let's just say he was quite liberal with the mayo...
    shednik wrote: »
    Congrats dynamik!! Another great story for your neighbor I take it ;)

Yea, it's more a story for me though. I'm not sure how many he remembers. He's an interesting guy. Over the last six years, our conversations have consisted primarily of Metallica and wrestling, and they have been nearly identical to the previous conversations.

One year, I had a few people over for my birthday, and he came down to see what was going on. I let him come in for a few beers (yes, even special people can drink at my place).

About an hour later, he says, "I'm feeling tired."

"Oh, ok. Well, I'll see you later. Have a good night."

"Nah, I'm ok here."

"Uh, what?"

Before I could say anything, he laid down and almost instantaneously went to sleep in my hallway. We had to step over him for the next few hours icon_lol.gif

So yesterday, I guess he work up and saw the water in his toilet frozen, but didn't think anything of it. He left at 9am and the staff responded around 10 when the water shorted out the fire alarms and set them off in the entire building. They found about 1.5" of water in his room when they went in the bathroom, they found a nice geyser. It was so bad that they're going to have to replace his ceiling, and possibly his upstairs neighbor's floor icon_lol.gif
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    oh my. Um, wasn't he cold with the window open?? BRRR, I'm just cold thinking about it!! And I now have the lovely image of "fettuccine con maionese" in my head.
    *shudder*

Congrats on the pass, good luck with the exchange stuffs, and hope you get dried out soon!
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    snadam wrote: »
    In Italian, mayonnaise is pronounced "merda" icon_lol.gif
    My wife knows Latin so she understood that one... and it's only 1 letter removed from the French equivalent so I got it... not a fan of mayo are we snadam? ;)
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass Dyna...

LOL at frozen water in the toilet
  • jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I understand the frustration that you get questions about dialog boxes etc., but : vmwsare always says that you need experience in order to pass the exam. This is what this exam is all about - without experience you can read all the PDFs etc. and you pass - but you won't ace it. If you want to ace it you need to have experience and that means you worked with the interface on daily basis .. if you did work with it on daily basis you know the answer in a heartbeat - don't get me wrong - I passed only with 75% which was really frustrating. But at least you can say you are not really a paper VCP :)
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • HeroPsychoHeroPsycho Inactive Imported Users Posts: 1,940
    Gomjaba wrote: »
    I understand the frustration that you get questions about dialog boxes etc., but : vmwsare always says that you need experience in order to pass the exam. This is what this exam is all about - without experience you can read all the PDFs etc. and you pass - but you won't ace it. If you want to ace it you need to have experience and that means you worked with the interface on daily basis .. if you did work with it on daily basis you know the answer in a heartbeat - don't get me wrong - I passed only with 75% which was really frustrating. But at least you can say you are not really a paper VCP :)

I disagree. The exam should measure your understanding of concepts, how to accomplish tasks, and how to solve problems in VI, not what the exact options are under a specific menu. I'm very good at Exchange and Active Directory. I'm not good at it because I have every menu's exact wording memorized.

It's easier to be paper memorizing menus than truly understanding what you're working with.
    Good luck to all!
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Here's day three LMAO!

bed1.jpg

bed2.jpg
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    First off, Congrats Buddy!

Sorry to hear about your current living conditions though. Well, at least that white sauce was mayonnaise.....um yeah, it could have been worse. Ewwwww!
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • kerbydoggkerbydogg Member Posts: 41 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratz dynamic!! ! ! !
    WIP: can't decide.