Improve your memory when studying for certs

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
This just popped up on yahoo. Could this advice help for those longs days/nights of studying?

1. Move It or Lose It
As if fitting into your skinny jeans weren't motivation enough, working out also raises levels of essential neuro-proteins, which "lead to more brain cells that are better connected," says physician Mark Hyman of Lenox, Mass. "It's like Miracle-Gro for the brain." For best results he recommends 30 minutes of vigorous cardio activity, four to six times a week.

2. Sip Some Red
Don't wait for your next spa visit to indulge in vino-therapy: Studies show that drinking red wine in moderation (no more than one glass daily for women) slows the buildup of plaque in the brain, which can reduce the risk of Alzheimer's disease.

3. Stop Stressing!
Attention, Type A personalities: Put down that Blackberry and strike a downward dog pose. If you don't learn how to relax, stress hormones will shrink your brain's memory center, the hippocampus.

4. Ban the Sugar
Wish you could wipe last night's sugar binge from your memory? Keep it up and you might be in luck. "It's clear that sugar and refined carbohydrates, like those found in processed foods, cause cognitive damage and memory impairment," says Hyman. In fact, diabetics are four times more likely than nondiabetics to suffer from dementia.

5. Curry Favor
Flavor isn't the only reason to expand your spice rack. Studies found that turmeric -- the yellow spice that gives curry its distinctive color -- increases brain function when eaten at least once every six months. To reap the benefits, Dr. Andrew Weil suggests stirring one level teaspoon into soups and stews.

6. Close Your Eyes
You snooze, you lose? Not when it comes to your brain. A study at Harvard Medical School showed that a 45-minute nap of non-REM sleep boosts recall of information.

7 Skip the Edamame
Soy has its virtues, but aiding memory isn't one of them, say researchers at Oxford and Loughborough universities in England. A recent study concluded that eating two or more servings of soy products each day can decrease memory function by as much as 20 percent, particularly among vegetarians and elderly women.

8. Be a Social Butterfly
Say goodbye to Sudoku, hello to your BFF. A University of Michigan study found that talking to another person for 10 minutes increases your memory as much as doing a brainteaser.

9. Binge on Blueberries
The food equivalent of flash cards, this popular fruit improves short-term memory better than other antioxidant-rich foods, such as kale, spinach and strawberries, according to scientists at Tufts University. Experts say one cup a day is all you need for the brain boost.

10. Get Scent Smart
Set the mood, yes. But who knew lighting candles could help you learn French? "Our studies show that smelling a mixed floral scent increases the speed of learning by 17 percent," says Chicago neurologist Alan Hirsch. Subjects in the experiment sniffed freesia, gardenia, lilac and rose, but almost any blend will do (we like Belle Fleur's new floral candles). Just skip lavender blends, says Hirsch. They adversely affect learning speed.

Comments

• skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    innnteresting! So, I guess that my memory issues are partially due to me being a Type A perfectionist, semi-antisocial, non-red-wine-drinking, multitasking sugar-lover who eats the occasional soy product, is allergic to flowery scents, and sleeps poorly?? icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Does this mean no more Monster Energy drink? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    jnwdmb wrote: »
    Does this mean no more Monster Energy drink? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Just mix it with Jag and/or vodka; it cancels out and makes it ok icon_cool.gif
  • vColevCole Member Posts: 1,573 ■■■■■■■□□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Just mix it with Jag and/or vodka; it cancels out and makes it ok icon_cool.gif

drunken_smilie.gif
  • AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hmmm, soy-munching vegetarian choco-holic here, the thing about studies are that you have to know who sponsored them to get an idea of how biased they are (and they all are in some way). Still some good guidelines.
    I'd definitely add Vitmain-C, a very simple and easy way to improve alertness (I take 1000mg before any heavy study session and exam, it does help).
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Bokeh wrote: »
    9. Binge on Blueberries
    The food equivalent of flash cards, this popular fruit improves short-term memory better than other antioxidant-rich foods, such as kale

I guess I should have been eating blueberries instead of gnawing on my arm.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Ahriakin wrote: »
    I'd definitely add Vitmain-C, a very simple and easy way to improve alertness (I take 1000mg before any heavy study session and exam, it does help).
    Hmmm...I've read that it's Vitamin B-complex that improves alertness and concentration.
    I believe that Doritos help me with my studies. Isn't the placebo effect an amazing thing? ;)
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    dynamik wrote: »
    I believe that Doritos help me with my studies. Isn't the placebo effect an amazing thing? ;)
    Carbs are sugar that don't dull your brain cells like alcohol do, so no placebo there.
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Carbs are sugar that don't dull your brain cells like alcohol do, so no placebo there.

Oh, I thought it was a given that I was washing them down with beer...