Programming for Network Administrator

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
I was wondering what language would be good to learn for a network administrator. Sometimes for Windows envyroment and sometimes for Linux. I am talking about creating applications, I am talking about to create scripts for maintenance, for security tools, etc.

Just give me an idea.

I looked for in the forum but I could not find any answer, sorry if this title is duplicated.
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Perl and PowerShell IMO.
  • msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    For the handful of Linux servers in our shop, I've made of just plain old shell scripting to Perl and Python. On the Windows side of things it's been VBScript/Powershell and some use of AutoIT.

I kind have an interest in security so I keep tabs on what jobs are available related to security in my area and what they are looking for. Around here at least, a lot of the security jobs (if that's an interest for you down the road) look for Perl, Python, and C.
  • SepiraphSepiraph Member Posts: 179 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Perl is great for string/text manipulation.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +1 for Powershell on Windows and Perl and/or Python on Linux.
  • livenliven Member Posts: 918
    dynamik wrote: »
    +1 for Powershell on Windows and Perl and/or Python on Linux.

Bump

But Bash or shell can be sufficient as well. Typically I have seen most logs being sent to a *nix syslog server. So with the default shell commands that typically exist on any *nix platform you can easily manipulate logs (sed, awk, sort, grep etc...)....

PERL STILL RULES!!!!
    encrypt the encryption, never mind my brain hurts.
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    liven wrote: »
    But Bash or shell can be sufficient as well.
    Yeah, but you are likely to find Perl on Linux distros that don't include Bash, or at least don't use Bash as the default scripting shell. It's totally worth it for any "admin" to learn Perl--even those only in the Windows world.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I'll cast my vote for PowerShell. I'm absolutely loving it. For Linux though I'll go against the grain a bit and vote for learning Ruby. I personally consider it a much better language than Perl or Python. Ruby's great for Windows too!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Devin McCloudDevin McCloud Member Posts: 133
    Powershell all the way!
    The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.