Anti-viruses and sleep problems

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
Whats up with the various anti-virus and protection suites causing sleep problems? I've tried out two different AV vendors and both cause two different side effects. One was Antivir and it stopped the computer from coming out of sleep and the other was Kaspersky AV suite with a firewall and it causes video artifacts in certain apps. (mostly games).

Is there a reason for it happening? I had NOD32 before and it didn't do anything like this.

Comments

• BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I had AntiVir as well, had same problem on my desktop. Went to VIPRE from Sunbelt Software and works wonderful. No issues at all, and is not a memory hog like so many others are.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I've not had any problems but thats with NOD32 :)
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Why the switch from NOD32?
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    Well I switched from mostly a cost standpoint. My father purchased a 3 licensed copy of Kaspersky internet security but I had it on my laptop and I didn't feel like taking it off. So I thought I would purchase/use the free copy of Antivir but it started giving me those sleep hangs. Now I guess I'll use Kaspersky, I really didn't want the overhead of a full suite but I guess it'll do.

I would really like to know why some AV programs do various things like what I described though, it would be nice to know and might help in the future.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm firing from the hip but I would have to think it has something to do with the AV scanning the memory. Recovering from sleep/hibernation is a very memory intensive process so I would think that if your AV is aggressive enough it might hang the process up. Again, that's just speculating.