Mike Myers Vista Passport Book

I am currently waiting for my copy of Hyper-V Unleased to arrive and realised I still had the Mike Meyers Certification Passport MCTS Windows Vista Client Configuration book that I borrowed.

It quite slim line and wondered if it would stand me in good stead for a crack at the Vista exam?

I have read the first chapter and am a good way into the second. It seems a little lite on in-depth stuff, but he seems to reiterate that he is writing a book about the exam and not Vista.

The writing style seems OK but the subject matter has sent me to sleep once already (yes I fell asleep within the first 45 pages).

Anyone read this one?

Thanks.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I haven't read it, but it's probably sufficient. There's not a lot to this one: TS: Configuring Microsoft Windows Vista Client

It's really geared towards the home user, so just be sure to go through the objectives and play around with all the different things (i.e. setup Windows Mail). I did this in 10 days; you shouldn't have a problem. I used MS Press and one quick run Transcender.
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    dynamik wrote: »
    I did this in 10 days

icon_eek.gif 10 days! It'll take me that to read chapter 3, I am sssssooooooooooo slow at reading icon_lol.gif

Like the sounds of this, I'll take a run down the objectives. I see there are a couple trials that are recommended, so I'll check them out too.

Thanks.
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    stupidboy wrote: »
    icon_eek.gif 10 days! It'll take me that to read chapter 3, I am sssssooooooooooo slow at reading icon_lol.gif

Like the sounds of this, I'll take a run down the objectives. I see there are a couple trials that are recommended, so I'll check them out too.

Thanks.
    I took a little over 30 days to study for it when I took it - but I used a chunkier book (MS Press book) and was working full time and traveling for the holidays at the time (studied between Thanksgiving & Christmas), so you can probably do it in much less time.

Are there any practices/tutorials in the Mike Myers book? If not, then check out the virtual online labs on the MS site.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Alif_Sadida_EkinAlif_Sadida_Ekin Member Posts: 341 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I used the MS Pressbook as well as the Mike Meyer's passport for this test. Really, the MS Pressbook is all you need. I agree with the Mike Meyer's passport being a little boring. To be quite honest, I didn't even finish reading the Passport book. I was a big fan of the Passport books for A+ and Network+, but was really disappointed with this one. The author makes emphasis on topics that aren't covered in the exam (such as the relationships between a vista client and a domain controller). I think I got to the third chapter and just said "screw it". Luckily I only spent 7 bucks on the thing at half.com.
    Do yourself a favor and just purchase the MS Pressbook. Go through all the labs and you'll be fine. The test is not difficult.
    AWS: Solutions Architect Associate, MCSA, MCTS, CIW Professional, A+, Network+, Security+, Project+

BS, Information Technology
  • Phenom1Phenom1 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    when you refer to the MS press book are you talking the training kit?? or resource kit??
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Phenom1 wrote: »
    when you refer to the MS press book are you talking the training kit?? or resource kit??
    it's the training kit. You can pick it up for about $30 from amazon or other online retailers. That plus monkeying around with the OS is really all you need to pass...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion