Windows Server Update Services

davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
Hey Guys,

Can you please tell me how to setup a WSUS server and how far spread I could use it...I work at a ISP and I want to know whether it will work if I have a WSUS server that will deploy patches to all the machines that I currently provide internet services for...

Please help...

Thanks guys for everything I love this forum!!!
Failure is a stepping stone to success...

Comments

• RevenueRevenue Member Posts: 130
    Hey :) umm I suggest reading some MS tech notes for a start..

Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) Home

I use a combination of WSUS and Altiris to deploy patches for the whole domain. What ISP you work for..?
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks, read them already...

Online South Pacific...

Online South Pacific

thanks for the post though
    oh.. is there a particular area of the installation that you are having issues with?
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm not sure if I understand the question, but if you're thinking about using WSUS for run of the mill DSL users and what not, I certainly wouldn't want to do that. If a update kills a machine I'd rather them fight with Microsoft, not me! :)
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Revenue wrote: »
    oh.. is there a particular area of the installation that you are having issues with?

Probably this part:
    Determine a Method to Configure Clients
    How best to configure Automatic Updates and WSUS environment options depends upon your network environment. In an Active Directory environment, you would use Group Policy. In a non-Active Directory environment, you might use the Local Group Policy object or edit the registry directly.

Determine a Method to Configure Clients

If you only provide internet service for the clients, how do you plan to enable and force them to use your WSUS server?
    I might be wrong but unless all your clients are in your domain, or you have admin access over the clients so you can change the update server.. I don't think it is possible to do what your are trying to do..

But as arwes said.. Probably better to leave all that to Microsoft. Just makes more work for you.

BTW, I wouldn't sign up with an ISP if I didn't have Full Control over what is on my system... No one is telling me what I can and cannot install :P
    Yes guys,

It was pointing XP to look for and grab updates from my wsus.

As for how i am going to get my internet clients on it, i will do up a generic reg entry and ask them to apply it. It save on our bandwidth on the link out of Papua New Guinea.

So guys i am confused, can I or can I not do it? Hey thanks for the time you guys spent posting coz it saves me alot!!!

Thanks Again,
    david
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Makes sense. I'd think you'd be able to get that to work. How many clients are there?
  • elaverick1981elaverick1981 Member Posts: 161
    You might want to look into the licensing of WSUS, I'm not sure what the commercial exploitation stance is with WSUS, a lot of the stuff from MS puts limits on what you can do with their stuff out with your own organisation (ie external connector licenses on Sharepoint and Exchange).

If you guys are MS Certified Partners or better you could try giving the presales technical support line a call, they are brilliant and should be able to track down a definative answer for you within a day or so.
    Thanks elaverick, will give them a call tomorrow morning.

Dynamic, there is about 30,000 clients. Note, i will have a few replica servers around the place so they wont be all getting them from one.

Oh, elaverick whatever it costs to get this running is worth paying, compared to the K80,000 we are paying to get ms updates now. MS updates account for about 80% of our network trafficout of PNG, weird huh?

Thanks again peeps!