Was my Professor Hitting On ME???

TechPrincessTechPrincess Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Finally I found a tech forum were people there are alot of people online...anyways....

My professor was talking to me after class one day, and he said, "You will do well in the Tech Industry,you can get hired as a Pre Sales Engineer, because most of the time they hire beautiful girls like yourself." Kinda creeped me out........

He also said that they are like Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives for Technology.

Is this true or is he hitting on me.......

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • eMeSeMeS Member Posts: 1,875 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree that while it is true that there are often roles for beautiful women in any type of sales function, it is very difficult for us to judge the veracity of your professor's statement without seeing a picture of you.

MS
    eMeS wrote: »
    I agree that while it is true that there are often roles for beautiful women in any type of sales function, it is very difficult for us to judge the veracity of your professor's statement without seeing a picture of you.

I'd kill to be half as smooth as you...
  • kctxaukctxau Member Posts: 130
    What he said is very true in the sales world. Most all women in sales are very nice looking. For that matter, most men in sales have to look the part also. Take a look at any sales people in the office the next time you visit a doctor or other professional business, some are stunning!
    This is particularly true when the sales are based on commission. As to whether or not you are "beautiful", the two of you will have your own ideas on that. If he said nothing more than in your original post, then all he did was state fact and suggest additional employment avenues.
    You have to admit, you would have been alot more upset had he said you were too ugly to work in sales.
    You'll recognize very quickly if his motives are personal or intended as compliment.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't believe your professor was hitting on you. I will say be prepared for much worse in the IT industry as everywhere I have worked we have been fairly uncouth...
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Finally I found a tech forum were people there are alot of people online...anyways....

My professor was talking to me after class one day, and he said, "You will do well in the Tech Industry,you can get hired as a Pre Sales Engineer, because most of the time they hire beautiful girls like yourself." Kinda creeped me out........

He also said that they are like Pharmaceutical Sales Representatives for Technology.

Unlikely.

And if you want to know. Confront him.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
    I don't think he was hitting on you either, just telling you the truth that you could do well in that type of position. Maybe he went a little strong with the beautiful part (kinda hard to be sure, see MS's post, hehe) but what would work better? Hot chicks like yourself?

MS

hehe... you're smooth there MS

I'd second the "get ready for being hit on part of IT". If your attractive, there's a lot of guys that are going to have their eyes on you. So maybe it's good you go in a sales position, you'll get men to pay attention to you and maybe you can flit them into buying.
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd kill to be half as smooth as you...

It comes from spending less time with technology, and more time trying to SELL things to people!

That, and convincing my wife, who is stunning and was in sales, to marry me a few years back.

...or, did she convince me????

In all seriousness to the OP, IMO he was likely hitting on you. I think that if you think he was hitting on you, then he probably was. Why? Women tend to be much better than men at both using and picking up body language signals.

MS
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409

MS
    I have to agree with dynamik, that *was* awful slick! icon_lol.gif

TechPrincess...sigh, I don't know what to tell you. Women are sometimes caught in really weird situations like this we're like "Gee, thanks! Um, wait...ugh, ew?" I think that he probably wasn't hitting on you and was just trying to pay you a complement, but it still comes off as kinda creepy.

Is it true that attractive women (and men) do well in sales-oriented positions? Indeed. But it doesn't make it any less creepy when professors make veiled comments on your looks, and it would be very very nice if appearances weren't looked upon as job skills.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
    skrpune wrote: »
    Is it true that attractive women (and men) do well in sales-oriented positions? Indeed. But it doesn't make it any less creepy when professors make veiled comments on your looks, and it would be very very nice if appearances weren't looked upon as job skills.

Said the attractive woman who recently posted pics of herself!

http://www.techexams.net/forums/off-topic/37991-geek-stereotypes.html

MS
  • jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    idk if he was hitting on you, but you sure did get a lot of rapid responses on these forums... icon_lol.gif
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    reading the title I thought u was talking about Windows ME icon_lol.gif

chill though, most of profs are weird anyway
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□

hahaha, great topic for a first post! i take it you dont like your professor?? :D

Welcome to the forums!
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yes, he was
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I bet TechPrincess just set the record for most received PM's for a new thread. We're a sad, desperate lot here.*

*I'm taking the universal "we", because I won't let my own awesomeness cause me to break ranks from my sad, desperate TE.com brothers & sisters!
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    I wouldn't have framed it in those words to a student, myself, but it's absolutely true.

Pretty, charming girls definitely help to make sales in all industries where men are the buyers. The pharmaceutical companies are a famous example of such tactics. I worked in a telecommunications company for many years and witnessed the parade of "hot vendor chicks" visiting our offices to sell us nothing more than basic, boring, electronic components (by the truckloads, mind you).
  • captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Why couldn't I be born a smoking hot chick? WHY! icon_lol.gif
    royal wrote: »
    Damn you, it's taken me nearly a decade to get that crappy song out of my head and now it's back, AAAUUUUGGGGHHH!! icon_lol.gif

• AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Damn you, it's taken me nearly a decade to get that crappy song out of my head and now it's back, AAAUUUUGGGGHHH!! icon_lol.gif

I'm in the same boat, I had to watch it, now its gonna be stuck in my head for the next week icon_cry.gif

But to the OP, yes, it's true in the rest of the world as it is true in IT. Good looking girls get away with EVERYTHING!

I try to take the advice that a wise old man told me, "treat good looking girls like you would any other girl", but it's such hard advice to follow. I think my stupid genetics are playing a role in that. Stupid evolution! icon_mad.gif

My wife takes advantage of that every chance she gets, its not fair!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I am lucky in that I treat everyone the same and some worse....hench the handle!

YouTube - You're A Mean One Mr Grinch
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff

What you wrote made me think of this: Barenaked Ladies "One Week" Parody - CollegeHumor video
    dynamik wrote: »
    What you wrote made me think of this: Barenaked Ladies "One Week" Parody - CollegeHumor video
    brilliant...but now I have the original stuck in my head, ARGH!

• PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I agree that looks will pay a big role in sales. I used to work at a hospital and all the drug reps that came in were young, beautiful women.
    As far as your professor hitting on you...it sounds to me like he was maybe trying to give you a compliment, but got carried away.