CBT nuggets 70-291

License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've noticed this b4 and nvr gave it much thought until this CD.....does anyone find the teachers IDIOTS when it comes to their jokes??? and irrelevant interuptions....I find it very distracting when trying to focus on the subject theyre talking about.
I think I remember some1 saying how our subjects are boring and they wish our books were more entertaining or our study materials more entertaining.....well......absurd I say......if I want to entertain or need a break ill close the boook or pause the lesson.

This guy talks about his hair...to some jibberish about the indian cocheese....and he even states it has nothing to do with the lesson....its appalling actually then jumps right back into what I was trying to concentrate on b4 he interrupted his damm self. Are those fools on drugs or somethings? this stuff aint cheap!! is our crowd asking for this simpleton entertainment from them? I have no problem with Joe Stepford delivering all the lessons in robot fashion.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sometimes the jokes are funny, sometimes they aren't. I don't understand why you're so upset though. If it bothers you that much, file a complaint. They'll probably refund your money. If you don't like them, you don't have to buy any more. There are plenty of white papers that take a no-nonsense approach to the material if that's what you prefer.
  • snokerpokersnokerpoker Member Posts: 661 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I noticed this as well on a bunch of the CBT Nuggets videos. I borrowed some of them from a friend a couple of times and was very glad I did not buy them myself! The prices they charge are outrageous for the material you get. I even remember somewhere on the DNS section of the videos the instructor decided to give a history lesson of some towns in Arizona.... wtf does that have to do with DNS??? Anyway, I hope you have other materials to study and pass this exam.
  • IT ManIT Man Member Posts: 159
    Yall folks do seem angry. I have personally only used the Cisco nuggets but they have been pretty good. I don't mind the occasional interruption, I actually think it helps me focus better. My job paid for my subscription so maybe if it came out of my own pocket, I'd have a different opinion.
    Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll still land among the stars. - Les Brown
  • License2ILLLicense2ILL Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well the way I see it, it is a definite disservice. And it's tuff to imagine having paid 1200 or even 900 for the whole set...I've seen them at those prices before I dont know what they go for now.....but just as some1 said b4 a bit much for such shenanigans.
    It's not cute and I find it rather unprofessional...im glad to see there are others who also dont appreciate it......but I guess there may be just as many who condone such ridiculousness and thats all it takes for them to keep doing it.
    I really don't see how it cant get under your nerves they are somewhat lengthy interruptions during A time your paying close attention you visualize the dribble they're talking and that's all it takes to lose your place. It has to be deliberate.. ...my thing is can there possibly be enuff morons asking and or enjoying these maroon "breaks"? or is this a case of editing gone wrong? LOL. u have to laff at the world in the end......it really is azz backwards.
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    I love the 291 CBT Nuggets. Some of his "side-talk" does help however especially when it comes I believe to subnetting.

It's good to have some side-talk. It's not like your wasting time. Remember he does cut out a lot of parts like during reboots, AD installation, etc.
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I like Conrad's silly jokes in the 2003 CBT's - it often makes me think "did he really say that", so I rewind just to be sure. It helps to break up the monotomy of the longer nuggets plus it helps to make sure you concentrate.

Don't get angry about it, as Dynamik says, if you really don't like them contact CBT with your reasons and don't use them again.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Mmartin_47Mmartin_47 Member Posts: 430
    bertieb wrote: »
    I like Conrad's silly jokes in the 2003 CBT's - it often makes me think "did he really say that", so I rewind just to be sure. It helps to break up the monotomy of the longer nuggets plus it helps to make sure you concentrate.

Don't get angry about it, as Dynamik says, if you really don't like them contact CBT with your reasons and don't use them again.

Yeah his silly jokes make it more enjoyable IMO.
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I have personally used the CBT for my Network+, MCTS Vista. MCP 290 CCENT,CEH. The teachers at CBT are extremely good and do help a ton while watching. I hated cut and dry teacher in HS and college. I feel i learn more when teachers make it interesting and have the ability to throw a joke in there while teaching. If you prefer the boring teacher then by all means stop using the cbt's. If you prefer a enjoyable lesseson with a few jokes then by all means continue to purchase the cbt's.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    I am using the 70-291 nuggets too, its the only one that i've used so can't comment on other nuggets.

However, as subject matter of the 70-291 is so dry, any jokes even if a bit corny, provide some light relief along the path to "the beast."

I meet up with "the beast" on Feb 17th
    I do see some validity in your points...teachers one on one though in a classroom is different than this tho. Also some type of relevance in the joking is appreciated....or a root to spinoff from not just an abstracted from the air drug induced comment. (not that there is anything wrong with drugs)
    For example DNS part 4 is a chapter that actually is going back to touch up on subjects already spoken about in the previous parts but this time with "a little bit more on why they are there and what they do" ......!!!!!???!!! .......(the nerve really)

As a student im watching and thinking what school of education did you go to?

I've been spinning my head the last 3 lessons trying to grasp all the chit u been talking about and wondering did I miss something??? Im trying to follow u....but some of the things your talking about I dont know chit about. So moving on I figure oh well I'm just a bad learner...and I'll have to do this chit twice. WRONG .....its these asswipes......whom obviously did not plan a good outline before video'ing.
    But lets be thankful they were thoughtful enuff to not allow us to be bored supplying us w/ distractionary dialogue just for fun's sake.

The previous ones have all been tolerable....this one takes the cake tho. It doesnt help that this is the "beast". At this rate you're right...I may just be better served shutting this crap off and opening the books I planned for after.

Good luck to all.....we'll truly need it.
  • wedge1988wedge1988 Member Posts: 434 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Like dynamik said, dont use the material if you dont like it xD

Personally i think conrad is a great teacher, and its a fundamental for me to watch him blabber on about the exam subjects.

Let us know how long it takes you to do the 291!
    ~ wedge1988 ~ IdioT Certified~
    MCSE:2003 ~ MCITP:EA ~ CCNP:R&S ~ CCNA:R&S ~ CCNA:Voice ~ Office 2000 MASTER ~ A+ ~ N+ ~ C&G:IT Diploma ~ Ofqual Entry Japanese
  • JJbiggleJJbiggle Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I do agree he is quite corny. He will blabber on for the first few minutes. So I just fast forward past the first few minutes. My thing with him is that he talks a mile a minute. I often have to pause the recording. Maybe if he would stop the yuk-yuk jokes, he would not be in such a hurry. But you get used to it after a while and he is quite good despite the bad jokes.

Try the test-out for 70-290. That guy drives me nuts.

Things we deal with..
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What player are you using? Have you tried adjusting the play speed? I personally crank mine up to 1.4x-1.8x, depending on the instructor (i.e. Conrad-Bryant icon_lol.gif).
  • EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    wedge1988 wrote: »
    Personally i think conrad is a great teacher, and its a fundamental for me to watch him blabber on about the exam subjects.

License2ILL, if you think that you cant put up with what Conrad blabbers on in the 291 Nuggets, give Michael Shannon a go with his 284 Nuggets. Dang, that man will put you to sleep in 10 minutes. The guy cracks the dryest jokes I have heard and speaks so slow that I have to run Media Player at 1.4x to avoid dozing off. Got to agree with wedge1988 that Conrad's a very good teacher, sure knows what he's saying. Wish Conrad did the whole MS series.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Essendon wrote: »
    License2ILL, if you think that you cant put up with what Conrad blabbers on in the 291 Nuggets, give Michael Shannon a go with his 284 Nuggets. Dang, that man will put you to sleep in 10 minutes. The guy cracks the dryest jokes I have heard and speaks so slow that I have to run Media Player at 1.4x to avoid dozing off. Got to agree with wedge1988 that Conrad's a very good teacher, sure knows what he's saying. Wish Conrad did the whole MS series.
    I think Michael Shannon does the Network+ videos too...ohhhh....myyyyy.....goooooodness, did he talk slow! I had to put the player on fast speed to get him up to a normal speaking pace, otherwise I agree - I would have fallen asleep within minutes! His jokes about the Lord of the Token Rings were pretty corny and dry, but they were a good explanation tool.

I preferred James Conrad - I used the nuggets that he did for A+, and while he was corny too, it was a much "lighter" and more fun kind of dorky-corny humor that I really liked. Sure, he'd spend a couple minutes here & there talking about off the wall stuff or showing you pictures he took with his cool camera, but I didn't mind so much...he usually had something interesting or kinda funny to say and I liked seeing the pics he took of AZ, since I used to live there for several years.

If you're looking for dry and not funny materials, then go with TestOut. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzz. It's definitely not entertaining but it does get the job done.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    I think the CBT Nuggets for the 70-291 is pretty good. James Conrad is a good teacher. I recommend these nuggets for anybody that can afford them. That's the only bad part. CBT Nuggets is not cheap!
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sometimes i cringe at some of the "jokes" on the MS tracks but sometimes it can be a nice change.

Jeremy ciora is a prime example of a good cbt teacher. His cbt's are great.

Besides, you should not use cbt's as a main study tool. Think of it more as a "nice" additional tool to have to supplement your studies. If you want serious then that why most books are 600+ pages.
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
    I dont know I've done the first 2 cbt nuggets and didnt notice anything bad about those guys...some wishy washy jokes here and there but not too long or far off topic.
    Conrad talks speedy but not a bad thing.
    But I do have to say this is the first nugget that makes me want to read the book first instead.....as for being knowledgeable he maybe...but relaying the fundementals to us...and lesson organization does not seem right on this nugget. its seems to skip explanations of the core functions and goes straight into details of each functions as if we are to magically presume what it all adds up to or at least what it should add up to.

I've appreciated the first 2 nuggets before reading the books...this one is off somehow.
  • it2bit2b Member Posts: 117
    I was bummed that the subnetting lesson teaches how to subnet using the Windows calculator. That won't help on the exam.

Otherwise, I'm enjoying the rest of it.
  • JJbiggleJJbiggle Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I thought during the exam they let you use the windows calculator.
  • Big JizayBig Jizay Member Posts: 269
    JJbiggle wrote: »

I've had calculators at all of my exams.
    The only thing that can stop you is you

Currently studying for 70-293
  • neathneathneathneathneathneath Member Posts: 438
    JJbiggle wrote: »

did the 70-291 recently and the windows calculator was there throughout the test (incl. the scientific section) which was good news, although i never really needed to use it.