Just passed (820)

gehrig44gehrig44 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Man, it was harder than I expected. I have taken numerous practice tests.

The exam questions were not wordy at all for me. But, I did have a few questions that I haven't even seen in the reading material.

Anyways.. off to CCNA now.

Comments

• ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
  • gehrig44gehrig44 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks..

I should mention one thing. I found it necessary to use more than 1 book for studying. In fact, I own 3 books, and read through 5 books in total.

I think that really helped me alot.

Flash cards helped me as well.. I made flash cards of about everything I thought I needed to know.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    Congrats. 820 is a good score - 554 is the passing grade.

I used just one book and barely made it, wish I'd used more material but still.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Congratulations!

Next time, skip the practice tests and focus on the objectives and material to learn the information. You'll be able to apply the information much easier in life and on the exam.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats!
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Congratulations!Next time, skip the practice tests and focus on the objectives and material to learn the information. You'll be able to apply the information much easier in life and on the exam.
    I tend to agree with Plantwiz. I had practice exams for Network+ that came with one of my books but I didn't use them. One reason is because the program wasn't entirely compatible with Vista, but also because I felt I could make better use of my time by doing further reviewing & making index cards & the like. Practice exams have their place (for example, evaluating your weak spots or gauging progress) but I generally prefer to spend my time elsewhere.

And for most exams (or for learning new topics in general), it's best to use more than one source. For exams that are as broad as Network+, it's hard to get all the information you need to truly understand all the topics covered without using multiple sources, and it's always a good idea to get viewpoints from different authors/sources. For N+, I used two books, CBT Nuggets, and several study guides from other users, in addition to making my own set of notes and index cards. Probably overkill, but it really helped.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    For the Net+ I used Thomson-Delmar Learning ComTIA Network+ Self-study Guide, 2nd Edition by Anthony V Chiarella. 250 pages. Nothing else. I liked the book as it was just packed with information in a small, easy to carry around book.

Honestly, I'm sorta under the impression that CompTIA certifications really just require memorization and little else. Having only earned the A+/Network+ I'm no expert but it certainly was that way for me on those two. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    genXrcist wrote: »
    For the Net+ I used Thomson-Delmar Learning ComTIA Network+ Self-study Guide, 2nd Edition by Anthony V Chiarella. 250 pages. Nothing else. I liked the book as it was just packed with information in a small, easy to carry around book.

Honestly, I'm sorta under the impression that CompTIA certifications really just require memorization and little else. Having only earned the A+/Network+ I'm no expert but it certainly was that way for me on those two. :)
    Wow, really?! I found that book to be uber-light and only introductory. I know everyone's exam is differnet, but if I had based my studies solely on that book, I certainly would have failed. My questions were way more complex and indepth than what was covered in that book. I think it makes a great review for someone who's already got a handle on the info, or an intro for someone who's new to networking topics. I read through that book first & did CBT Nuggets at the same time, then moved on to Network+ 2005 In Depth by Tamara Dean, which was more comparable with the depth/complexity of questions that I saw on my exam.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • MikeO5422MikeO5422 Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    skrpune wrote: »
    Wow, really?! I found that book to be uber-light and only introductory. I know everyone's exam is differnet, but if I had based my studies solely on that book, I certainly would have failed. My questions were way more complex and indepth than what was covered in that book. I think it makes a great review for someone who's already got a handle on the info, or an intro for someone who's new to networking topics. I read through that book first & did CBT Nuggets at the same time, then moved on to Network+ 2005 In Depth by Tamara Dean, which was more comparable with the depth/complexity of questions that I saw on my exam.

Yep, that was the only book I used. It gave me a good, general overview of the concepts and enough data to memorize that I was able to pass the test on my 1st try. You're right though, everyone's exam's are different so I just count myself lucky I guess. :)

It did give me enough background though to help me in my CCNA studies. I used one book for that as well, Sybex 6th Ed. Maybe I'm just too cheap to pay for more than one book. :)
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
    I have to agree about the practice tests. They were only really useful in providing me what topics I needed to study more. I used 4 different practice exams software. None of the practice exams questions seemed to really be worded the way the exam questions are. The exam questions for me, were much more vague (and shorter) than the the practice exam questions.

The other thing that annoyed me about the practice exams were the multiple choice answer options that were given. I wish you could setup the software on a "hard" setting. So, if you get a question about authentication protocols.. all the answer options should be autentication protocols. It was much easier on the practice exams to guess the answers due to many obvious wrong choices. So, take that for what it's worth.
  • REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Job well done, and a great score. Net+ is a tough test. Everyone learns differently, has different skiils. So, use whatever works for you.

Again, congratulations! What's next?
    Thanks..

I start CCNA tomorrow. Not exactly sure how I am going to go about it yet. I have the Cisco book (given to me by my computer training school).

So, looking at the CCNA forums here to see what is the best way to go about studying.
  • REID8968REID8968 Member Posts: 98 ■■□□□□□□□□
    gehrig44 wrote: »
    Thanks..

I start CCNA tomorrow. Not exactly sure how I am going to go about it yet. I have the Cisco book (given to me by my computer training school).

So, looking at the CCNA forums here to see what is the best way to go about studying.
    Well, good luck on CCNA! Can you still do CCENT first? I looked at CCENT after passing Net +, which I did before A+. Net+ was a great prep for CCNA. I'll be watching for your feedback. I have decided to go MCSA. Net +, A+ apply towards that. Again, congratulations on passing, and best wishes for Cisco!
    Well.. as far I as I can tell.. by passing the ICND1 you are getting a CCENT.

For a CCNA you have to pass both ICND1/ICND2 (or 1 test that includes both).

But, this converstation is really for another forum :)

Thanks again for the well wishes....

And good luck to you as well.