Options

Passed with 880

bt2k1bt2k1 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey,

Been studying for around 2 an half months. Passed my 270 on November 14th and studied for the 290 since.

Had 43 questions and 5 sims.
Didnt think i would get such a high score, was not to confident when I finished the exam.
I used the microsoft press book and virtual PC to get familiar with groups and permissions ect.
Used Trancender and of course the Technet notes.
Again i want to thank techexams.net for information.

My plan now is to get my A+ and network+ then try and tackle the 70-291.

Was wondering what people thought of this plan? While the 290 is fresh in my mind should I do the 291 or taking a break from Microsoft a good idea?
Certifications:
70 - 270
70 - 290
70 - 291
70 - 293
ITIL Foundation
A+ Essentials
A+ Technician
Network+

Working Towards:
70 - 294 (October '10)

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

Not sure on the best path, but if you're looking for the shortest path to an MCSA, then you might want to reconsider doing A+ & Network+ as your elective. I've got nothing against either cert and I have both of them, but if the only reason you're taking them is to satisfy the elective requirement, then I just wanted to raise the point that you can finish the MCSA much quicker and with 2 fewer exams by going with an exam from MS...maybe the 620? If you have access to vista (or if you can install Virtual PC & install Vista on it for practice), then that might work out well - it's a relatively easy exam and also counts towards MCITP (if you ever want to upgrade in the future), AND it also earns you the title of MCTS.

Again, nothing against CompTIA electives, just tossing this info out there and making a couple suggestions for alternatives that will get you to your goal a little more quickly.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    gravyjoegravyjoe Member Posts: 260
    skrpune wrote: »
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif

I've got nothing against either cert and I have both of them, but if the only reason you're taking them is to satisfy the elective requirement, then I just wanted to raise the point that you can finish the MCSA much quicker and with 2 fewer exams by going with an exam from MS...maybe the 620?

Skrpune has a good point. If you're taking both of those tests JUST to fulfill a elective, then you'll want to take an elective like the 620. Otherwise, I believe that the A+ and Network+ will do better as far as credibility, than to just take an elective.
    The biggest risk in life is not taking one.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    My suggestion is to hit 70-291 as hard as you can, as soon as you can. You'll need all the preparation and advantages you can get to take on the exam we all lovingly refer to as "The Beast".

As for the CompTIA electives, you've got a couple of things to think about. The A+/Network+ combo is only good towards the MCSA, not the MCSE. If you want to do both, I'd suggest looking into either Security+, which satisfies both MCSA and MCSE, or the 70-620 (Vista) exam, which not only applies to both MCSA and MCSE, but also to the Windows Server 2008 certification, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator.

Best of luck to you, whichever path you go. And, of course, congratulations on passing the 70-290 exam. :D

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    bt2k1bt2k1 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey,

Thanks for the advice guys I notice you all have both A+ and Network+.
    Sorry I may have not explained this to well really. I was not planning to do the A+ or Network+ to credit towrads an MCSA, i knew this was an option but that did not cross my mind.

For my MCSA i was to do the 291 and 293 as they go towards a MCSE aswell.

I want to do the Comptia certs for credability.

As most people do i want get my MCSA/MSCE soon as I can but i feel if a tackle "The Beast" 291 now i well get fed up and not enjoy it as much. Just want a change for a couple of months and then get back to it with more enthusiasm.

As always any feed back on this will be appreciated.

Cheers
    Certifications:
    70 - 270
    70 - 290
    70 - 291
    70 - 293
    ITIL Foundation
    A+ Essentials
    A+ Technician
    Network+

Working Towards:
    70 - 294 (October '10)