Basic information

I'm exploring what the CCIP is about, and I had a few questions.

I just got on with an ISP, though I don't do any significant Tier II work (yet), so I'm exploring the CCIP vs. the CCVP (which I've been doing for a while now). Not being in a VoIP environment is really hindering me, so I figured I'd see what's involved with CCIP to see if it's worth a switch.

What equipment beyond what's used for CCNA would be needed for a home lab with this cert? Do many go from CCNA --> CCIP? Since Cisco says that a CCNA is all that's required before pursuing a CCIP, it would seem that it's a feasible path.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who went from a CCNA straight to a CCIP to hear how their journey went. If one has already been working for an ISP for years, it wouldn't be so relevant, sorry to say. Just trying to find someone approximating my station in life.
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm exploring what the CCIP is about, and I had a few questions.

I just got on with an ISP, though I don't do any significant Tier II work (yet), so I'm exploring the CCIP vs. the CCVP (which I've been doing for a while now). Not being in a VoIP environment is really hindering me, so I figured I'd see what's involved with CCIP to see if it's worth a switch.

What equipment beyond what's used for CCNA would be needed for a home lab with this cert? Do many go from CCNA --> CCIP? Since Cisco says that a CCNA is all that's required before pursuing a CCIP, it would seem that it's a feasible path.

I'd be interested in hearing from those who went from a CCNA straight to a CCIP to hear how their journey went. If one has already been working for an ISP for years, it wouldn't be so relevant, sorry to say. Just trying to find someone approximating my station in life.

I haven't done the CCNA -> CCIP myself. The CCIP wasn't available when I started out back in 1999. With CCIP you will be looking at MPLS and BGP. Chances are you won't be doing anything risky with those technologies for a while. Worth looking at though. In many ISP environments routing and switching remains the bread and butter of most practioners particularly if hosting is offered. Perhaps ask at work what exposure you might get to BGP/MPLS vs R&S and go from there. Before embarking on certification studies in BGP and MPLS I recommend some substantial non Cisco Press reading first. BGP is particularly challenging and requires a lot of effort to learn really well.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I think the CCIP is useful for CCIE R&S Candidates and Networkers in Large Companies running Hugh Global Enterprise Networks -- so it's not just for Telco/ISP employees anymore :D
    What equipment beyond what's used for CCNA would be needed for a home lab with this cert?
    Moving a CCNA Lab to a CCNP lab involves maybe getting an MPLS capable router when purchasing the initial CCNA Lab and adding another MPLS capable router for the ISCW exam.

For the CCIP, use Dynamips/Dynagen if you didn't get all MPLS capable routers when you bought your CCNA lab.

The BSCI & BGP exams can also be labbed up in Dynamis/Dynagen.

The QoS configurations can be typed in Dynamips/Dynagen or even Notepad, but to test them you may want to use real hardware since I'm not sure how well Dynamips simulates the hardware queues.

QoS also covers the QoS for L2 & L3 switches -- there should be a recent CCIP forum post with the links to the various Cisco QoS Docs, including the direct links to the QoS sections of the popular L2 & L3 switches. Heres the thread -- http://www.techexams.net/forums/ccip/39766-starting-ccip.html
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I'm going to be honest with you. I've worked in the ISP world and feel 100% that a CCNP will help your career more than a CCIP. A CCIP has its value, but is more of a "specialty" certification. From day to day it is unlikely that you will need many of the skills that the CCIP teaches you. The CCNP on the other hand, provides you with knowledge that you'll be able to use very frequently. This is why I got the CCNP before the CCIP.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with Paul, even though I'm not in an ISP position, I still went for my CCIP after the NP. From what I've been seeing, having the background with how routing and switching works is going to be more beneficial with understanding how everything is going to be working together.

Only reason I did the CCIP was because it seemed like a good intermediate step before trying the CCIE R&S. I did get some good education while studying for the BGP/MPLS exams that will help me in my current position.
  • APAAPA Member Posts: 959
    tmlerdal wrote: »
    I have to agree with Paul, even though I'm not in an ISP position, I still went for my CCIP after the NP. From what I've been seeing, having the background with how routing and switching works is going to be more beneficial with understanding how everything is going to be working together.

Only reason I did the CCIP was because it seemed like a good intermediate step before trying the CCIE R&S. I did get some good education while studying for the BGP/MPLS exams that will help me in my current position.

+1 - totally agree with Paul and tmlerdal.

I now work at an ISP (three months into it), got the position as a Network Engineer with CCNP to my name.

The techincal interview grilled me on some very tricky questions but nothing that a CCNP can't work out. CCIP is definiately a speciality cert that you will most benefit from if you have your CCNP first.

Having a strong CCNP-level foundation of routing and switching will help greatly on the more advanced topics and features that the CCIP introduces you to.

I'm just starting my CCIP journey and the topics are clicking quite easily as I'm able to relate them back to the knowledge I've obtained from finishing the CCNP track.

CCNA | CCNA:Security | CCNP | CCIP
    JNCIA:JUNOS | JNCIA:EX | JNCIS:ENT | JNCIS:SEC
    JNCIS:SP | JNCIP:SP