Another VCP thread

RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
Passed today with an 85.

I used the I&C course materials, VMReference Card, and the Exam Cram book. Wish I would have used some more though. There were a few questions that were completely off the wall that I had never seen mentioned in anything I've read. Luckily there weren't too many of them.

Exam really needs to be improved. As mentioned, lots of one liners and basic trivia. Just a couple of exhibit questions.

I'm just glad it is over and done with.

Comments

• blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congratulations sir!

I, too, figure to be joining the VCP bandwagon in the next week or two.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Congratulations.

Did you find the Exam Cram book useful in hammering home the subjects?
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeah. I thought it was a better than average supplement to the I&C course material. Plus it was written well enough that it wasn't difficult to read like a lot of other technical books out there.
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Yeah. I thought it was a better than average supplement to the I&C course material. Plus it was written well enough that it wasn't difficult to read like a lot of other technical books out there.

I've read a couple of Elias's books (and some the has has co-authored) in the past, each has been concise and easy to read. It is a breath of fresh air to have something like this. I appreciate this even more, as at the moment I am trying to cram in Vista (yawn) whilst my Hyper-V book is on route (god alone knows where it has gone icon_rolleyes.gif).
  • davidspirovalentinedavidspirovalentine Member Posts: 353 ■■■■□□□□□□
    LOL! hows the vista going SB?

Hey do you guys think I can pass the VCP-310 exam without going for the official course?

I have:
    Elias set of CBT videos for VMware Infrastructure 3
    The Sybex book for VI3
    A lab at home with a Core2Quad Processor with 2ESX VM's running inside it

I know i dont have any fiber channel switch setup or iSCSI or NAS, really what I am asking is, can I pass the exam with the above material and theory on the SAN side of things? I know it will be hard, please be honest with me.

Thanks People!!!
    Failure is a stepping stone to success...
    LOL! hows the vista going SB?

Man! it sucks. I have had a couple of days off and am going to see if a fresh head helps.
    Hey do you guys think I can pass the VCP-310 exam without going for the official course?

I have:
    Elias set of CBT videos for VMware Infrastructure 3
    The Sybex book for VI3
    A lab at home with a Core2Quad Processor with 2ESX VM's running inside it

I know i dont have any fiber channel switch setup or iSCSI or NAS, really what I am asking is, can I pass the exam with the above material and theory on the SAN side of things? I know it will be hard, please be honest with me.

Thanks People!!!

I think that you can take the exam without attending the official course. However, the official course is one of the requirements of the VCP certification. You might be able to pass the exam with some good reading and a whole load of hands on, but you will not be a VCP.

VMware have made the course a requirement to rule out "paper VCPs" to add value to their cerification.

Hope this helps.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    stupidboy wrote: »
    I think that you can take the exam without attending the official course. However, the official course is one of the requirements of the VCP certification. You might be able to pass the exam with some good reading and a whole load of hands on, but you will not be a VCP.
    Yeah. You can take the exam if you want but you won't become a VCP. VMware will check that you've completed one of the official courses.
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Yeah. You can take the exam if you want but you won't become a VCP. VMware will check that you've completed one of the official courses.

Are you sure you can take the exam without going through the course? When I was signing up a couple of weeks ago, Pearson's site specifically asked whether or not I had taken one of the courses and on which date.
    Are you sure you can take the exam without going through the course? When I was signing up a couple of weeks ago, Pearson's site specifically asked whether or not I had taken one of the courses and on which date.

I have certainly read some tales that talk about taking the exam without attending one of the approved courses.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I asked my trainer when I took the fast track course and he said it was possible. The website registration might be different in the UK however.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Sure you can take the exam, I can't say that it would do you much good right now. What's the point? If you eventually want to take the class, and earn the cert, well, you'll be much better prepared for the test after having the class.

Nothing wrong with learning the product though like you're doing now.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...