Options

Any Application Programmer?

vivek_master146vivek_master146 Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is there any Application Programmer here who has done A+ ?

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Why?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    @^^^^^^

I just want to know that Whether programmers also do A+ to gain some knowledge on hardware and OS concepts.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    The most dangerous thing in the world is a Programmer with a screwdriver! icon_eek.gif

I'll put my programming, networking, and UNIX experience on my resume -- but I never admit to any mainframe or hardware knowledge or experience. The only reason I'd get the A+ would be to use as an elective with the Network+ for the MCSA.

But if you're weak or lacking OS knowledge -- it might be worth it. I was already doing this stuff before the A+ certification existed.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    If it isn't required for your job, then I would not. Read the books, absolutely, but I would not take the exams.

Of course it is good to understand the other side of the system then the one you work, on, but I do not see the point to paying money for exams merely for the sake of having the certificate and not having it be directly applicable to your career.

Learn the material for fun. If hardware becomes and interest and you want to move into Management where you need to oversee workers or such...then by all means. Otherwise, get yourself familiar with it and call it close. FWIW

:2cents:
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

• Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    My dad is a Sr Software Developer in Java... I have to go over there and help him with his computer now and then with virus removal and things like that. I need to show him how to log in to his router, manage his firewall, and show him how to use basic tools like msconfig and some of the control panel apps.

Those are all things I think everyone that's exposed to a computer daily should be familiar with.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    Thanks for reply. Yes, I definitely know XP very well. I just want to gain some basic knowledge in hardware and more knowledge of XP. I want to know how XP works.

Many people come with problems like my computer runs slow, Hidden files not showing, unable to run this application.

I want to be a master in troubleshooting so that i can solve all the basic problems related to OS or Hardware.

I always consult in technical communities and have gained much knowledge and use my experience to solve those problems.

I just want to be good at solving problems.

Does Mike Meyers book gives good knowledge also along with exam preparation?
  • Options
    TravR1TravR1 Member Posts: 332
    I like the Mike Meyers All In One 6th Edition for A+. I found it easiest to understand, and the most helpful. There is more in his book than what is required to pass the test.. it helps you to be an all around good technican.
    Austin Community College, certificate of completion: C++ Programming.
    Sophomore - Computer Science, Mathematics
  • Options
    I've been a fan of the Meyers book since the first edition.

Sybex is another one I recommend.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    Many people in my circle call me Computer Expert. Its not because i am good at VB,C and C++ Programming but i can solve various computer problem and have knowledge in XP,know Web designing and SEO. I have learn different things in my life.

Many people are against my decision that i want to go for A+ training(Not exam). They are saying that why the hell i am going for A+ training if i want to become software programmer. I said its just for hobby and gaining knowledge. After A+,I can even assemble my own PC and solve hardware problems also along with software and OS problem. So whats the harm in it ?
  • Options
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's no harm at all. However, you can learn the material without taking the exams. If they're not going to do a lot for you career-wise, you might have a better use for that ~$500. On the other hand, you could make the argument that you might as well take them since you've come so far and learned the material. It's up to you. I've read an A+ book or two, but I never got the certs.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    like dynamik said, there's no harm in it. The final decision on whether to take any exam is up to you, so if you want to do it, then go for it. It wouldn't take away from your resume, but I just don't think it would be something that would add too much to it either other than to show that you're relatively well-rounded.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    Please reply.
    Do do this....it hadn't even been 24 hours icon_rolleyes.gif

It may be that people didn't reply because at some point, YOU need to decide for yourself what YOU think is important to you.

If you find the A+ material interesting, the read up on it and practice it. If you feel like taking an exam...pay the money and register for the two exams and earn the cert.

The cert stays with you for life, so it's not a complete waste. Likely the point most are trying to get through to you is that it seems like a waste of resources (time and money) for something you won't specifically use in your career. Though the knowledge will provide you insight into other problems and in the long run may make you a better programer....BUT that doesn't require taking the exams to gain the knowledge.

I know several talented people who only focus on the exams that pertain to their career and some successful people who have never taken an exam and are extremely well respected for their IT skills.

If you want it, go get it. If you just want to read about it, do that. If you want to take a class (though why anyone takes an A+ class really escapes me) take the class.

I'd recommend just download the objectives and read the Meyer book and continue on in your programming career....but it isn't for me to decide YOUR path.
    Plantwiz
    _____

• Options
    I have to take class as i don't have any extra hardware resources to work with. For practical knowledge like assembling, troubleshooting hardware i have to take classes from a hardware institute.