Dark screen. Please help a Linux noob :-(

vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
I installed RHEL 5. Everything worked great up until the initial login. I input user/pass, and the screen goes dark. I still see my cursor, and can freely move it around, but no other display. I restarted, and can view the bootup display without issue. Even the login screen with the Red Hat logo comes up fine, but once I login, just a dark screen with the arrow. I know as much about *nix as my one year old son, so please forgive my ignorance. Any assistance/advisement is greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Certified Lunatic.

Comments

• CiscoGreekCiscoGreek Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    vsmith3rd wrote: »
    I installed RHEL 5. Everything worked great up until the initial login. I input user/pass, and the screen goes dark. I still see my cursor, and can freely move it around, but no other display. I restarted, and can view the bootup display without issue. Even the login screen with the Red Hat logo comes up fine, but once I login, just a dark screen with the arrow. I know as much about *nix as my one year old son, so please forgive my ignorance. Any assistance/advisement is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Did you install a GUI or just do the base installation? If you can login and all you can see if text then you havent installed one. Is there a reason you are trying to install RHEL? Have you tried Ubuntu - its a great place to start Linux - alot of it works out of the box! icon_cool.gif
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    I would suggest reinstalling and going through packages to custom add every single thing related to desktops. =)

If you're new to linux, when selecting packages, it really is best to start with everything until you learn what's best to leave out. Hit the custom add packages button and select everything.
  • GrynderGrynder Member Posts: 106
    Can you type at the prompt? You mention the log in, is it a gui?
    If you can type at the prompt try 'startx'
  • disidisi Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Try to shut down the X server with ctrl+alt+backspace, this should bring you back to console.

Then try
    yum groupinstall "GNOME Desktop Environment"

This will install all the dependencies you could miss with the current setup, e.g. missing gnome-session package?!?

reboot

//edit: if it will not let you to kill X go ctrl+alt+F2 to switch to the second console and login as root.
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys for your responses. I'll try them all.

I apologize for the late follow up, but I am losing my job, and scrambling to find another so my time on TE is more limited. I want to become proficient in Linux, and I really appreciate the time you all took to assist me. I'll let you know what worked tonight or tomorrow at the latest.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Ouch, sorry to hear you're joining the club! I hope something comes through swiftly for you.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Thanks undomiel, for the kind words.

I must again apologize, but the job search kinda heated up. I spent my last two evenings shopping for new suits (for interviews), securing interviews and general family time. I never had a moment to try the options you've given me. I will try them this weekend (sandwiched between Valentines Day activities) and follow up.
    Certified Lunatic.
    Hehe, I don't think we're going anywhere soon! Take your time, do what ya gotta do. icon_wink.gif
    Woo Hoo!!! The reinstall (third times the charm) worked perfectly. I tore down the basics of the box (disconnected/reconnected the drives, data cables and reseated the RAM) and rebuilt her. Man, I'm like a kid with a new toy on Christmas morning. This is probably not the best distro from which to learn, but I believe in sink or swim. Man this is great. In fact I'm overloaded with anticipation. I'm still studying my 70-293, I'm super eager to learn Linux, and I can't wait to start my CCNA. I've had the Cisco Press books for some time now, the CBT's for months and study guides galore. I'm so ready to put the nose back to the grindstone (what an archaic reference). Woo Hoo!!!

BTW, this was the GUI install. Thanks again to all who lent a hand.
    Certified Lunatic.
    Congrats and good luck! By the way, Dynamik has a private forum hosted elsewhere that has information about studying for the RHCE. You might gain from the material posted there if you're using RHEL, so PM him if you're interested.
    darkerosxx wrote: »
    Congrats and good luck! By the way, Dynamik has a private forum hosted elsewhere that has information about studying for the RHCE. You might gain from the material posted there if you're using RHEL, so PM him if you're interested.

Absolutely. Thanks for the heads up, because I'll need all the help I can get. I barely know where to start with Linux. I guess the first thing to do is grab a good Red Hat book, read, do labs, break/fix and some more labs.
    Certified Lunatic.