Setting up a new lab, some questions

ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
I want to setup a small 2003 network. Basically, 2 2003 servers and 2 XP clients is all I plan on doing. The only VM software I've used is Virtualbox. So I have decided to use VMware since it seems to be the standard most used. My questions is this.

Should I use Vista or Ubuntu as my primary OS to host the VMware software? My dell desktop has a Pent 4 3.0, 3 Gigs of ram, brand new 320 Gig hard drive.

Do I need VMware workstation, ESXi, or Server 2? I'm a little confused on what exactly I need to download. The Ubuntu forums says to use Server 2.

I plan on taking the exams for MCSA -> E. I'm also planning to use my Laptop which has Vista so I can put the 2 client VMware guest XP clients on them if needed. The laptop and desktop will be connected via a hub until my CISCO gear comes in March.

Comments

• tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ElvisG wrote: »
    Should I use Vista or Ubuntu as my primary OS to host the VMware software? My dell desktop has a Pent 4 3.0, 3 Gigs of ram, brand new 320 Gig hard drive.
    Ubuntu is what I'd choose.
    Do I need VMware workstation, ESXi, or Server 2? I'm a little confused on what exactly I need to download. The Ubuntu forums says to use Server 2.
    If you're just using it as a lab to test things then workstation or server will do. If you want to actually run something long term and unattended then server.

From a cost point of view, use server or ESXi since it is free.

ESX will take over the entire machine. There is no host OS. You'd be dedicating the machine to running ESX.
    If you actually want experience of VMware itself in a business environment then it will have to be ESX. However, the options available in the basic free version of ESXi are quite limited. Most of the features that make ESX worthwhile are added cost ones.
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    tiersten wrote: »
    ESX will take over the entire machine. There is no host OS. You'd be dedicating the machine to running ESX.

So I don't need to install Ubuntu because ESXi is the OS?
    So I don't need to install Ubuntu because ESXi is the OS?
    Yes. It has a very small Linux installation that is used to bootstrap it and start the vmkernel.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    ESXi runs off a bare metal hypervisor. It installs as its own operating system, not on top of an operating system. If you have a spare system then that would be a good solution to best utilize the resources of the system and just remotely manage from your primary desktop. If you are still wanting to use the system as a desktop system then you would probably be best off using Ubuntu and stripping it down a whole lot to free up more resources for VMware Server to use.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Awesome. Then I will just install ESXi on my desktop. I'm waiting on the UPS guy to delivery the hard drive and ram. Will it be possible to install VMware on my laptop to run an extra windows 2003 server and have it networked to the rest of the VMware network?

*edit
    What remote client do I need to manage the ESXi?
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    ESXi requires 2 processors
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    ESXi requires 2 processors
    Not in a home-lab test environment. Just to get support from VMware.
  • undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    When you install ESXi just navigate to the ip address of the machine in your web browser and you'll see an install available for the client.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
    Another point for the OP that seems to have been missed. ESX/ESXi has some very strict hardware requirements relating to the storage controller and network card. If you tell us the specs of the system you are wanting to install it on, I'd be happy to let you know if it should work or not.
    It's a dell dimension 8400.

Documentation

The ram and hard drive work and is not DOA, thank goodness.
    It's a dell dimension 8400.

Documentation

The ram and hard drive work and is not DOA, thank goodness.
    Hmm, that's getting pretty old. I would go with Ubuntu & VMware Server 2.0 in that case.
    Can I just use the desktop version do I need the server version of Ubuntu?
  • RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you are going to use VMware Server, you can use the Ubuntu desktop OS.
    astorrs wrote: »
    Not in a home-lab test environment. Just to get support from VMware.
    Thanks for the clarification. I haven't actually tried it, was just going from their requirements document.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
    Is it an IDE hard drive or SATA?
    IT guy since 12/00

blargoe wrote: »
    Thanks for the clarification. I haven't actually tried it, was just going from their requirements document.
    They relaxed the requirement slightly last year. You're allowed to split a 2 processor license between 2 machines now. This includes single core processors still it seems.
    I just want to thank everyone that took the time to help me out.

I installed Ubuntu and VMware Server 2. It took a 30 minutes to figure out how to login. I finally saw in the authorization-template.xml file that the login username was root, lol. Now I am installing win 2003 trial. VMware Server 2 is a little buggy or my system is really at the low end of what you should use. It took 2 tries to create a VM. The first time, it just would lock-up when it got to the CD/DVD part.
    There are some bugs as with any other big software application, but not enough to point the finger at regarding your problems. Installing Windows is a fairly common task. It isn't the age of your system either.
    Sorry to ask another question but I'm at a lost. I can't do ctrl+alt+delete to login to the server. I looked in help and it said to try Remote Console -> Troubleshoot -> Send ctrl+alt+delete but I don't have "Send ctrl+alt+delete" as an option. I also tried the ctrl+alt+insert but nothing works.

*edit
    This is a Ubuntu issue. You have to press ctrl+alt+ins (insert on the keypad) to login.