Freepracticetests.org accurate?

knicks1208knicks1208 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello and thanks in advance for any help or advice given in response to this post.

I'm taking the SSCP test very soon and feel confident in my ability to do well on it. I've used CBT Nuggets, cccure's study guide, some of the "Official Guide to SSCP CBK" book, and LOTS of the test on freepracticetests.org (answered a few thousand questions).

My question is, how accurate are the questions on freepracticetests.org? I consistently score between 85% and 100% which gives me a lot of confidence, but is it false confidence? Am I taking too much from this site hoping that the exam is similar?

I know that the specifics of the exam cannot be discussed and I want to honor that, I just need to make sure that I don't need to switch gears and start studying something else before the exam if freepracticetests.org isn't accurate.

Thanks again!

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    The SSCP items at www.freepracticetest.org are somewhat similar to the SSCP exam questions in subject matter and format, but lacking in complexity. The questions on that site are all contributed by users, so the quality will vary.

I advise against using practice exams to be the determining factor for readiness to take any (ISC)2 exam. It's a better determination if you are able to give a 30-second explaination of each topic in each domain of the SSCP CBK. You are tested not only on facts, but also on what things are used for and how they conceptually work. It helps greatly if you know enough about each topic in the SSCP OIG to provide an intelligent discussion of them.
  • unsupportedunsupported Member Posts: 192
    I only use practice tests to gauge my basic understanding of the material and to see if I need to study in one area or another. I never use them as an indicator of if I am going to pass the test or not.

I've never used freepracticetests.org, but I would be weary on the CCCure.org questions. Some of the questions on the CCCure.org site are submitted by people who appear to have nothing better to do than review the minutia covered in obscure NIST documents.

Rely on your studying and experience to pass the test and not your ability to answer questions on a practice test.
    -un

“We build our computer (systems) the way we build our cities: over time, without a plan, on top of ruins” - Ellen Ullman
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    This is pretty much where I am. I have never taken an ISC2 exam before so I don't know what to expect.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    This is pretty much where I am. I have never taken an ISC2 exam before so I don't know what to expect.
    You haven't read my blog articles?

The SSCP Certification Experience TechExams.net Blogs

The CISSP Certification Experience TechExams.net Blogs

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    *snap* icon_lol.gif

To be fair though, he does have a difficult time with that type of stuff...
    Yes I read your blogs (numerous times actually) but there's nothing like that first hand experience. I was in for a rude awakening when I took my first cisco test :)
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    Paul Boz wrote: »
    I was in for a rude awakening when I took my first cisco test :)
    I've never taken a Cisco exam. Was it just the exam itself that was unexpected or was the whole experience unsettling?
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I've never taken a Cisco exam. Was it just the exam itself that was unexpected or was the whole experience unsettling?

It's sort of like college. Until the professor or TA has graded the first test you just don't know what the questions will be formatted like, how the grading works, or anything like that. You can say that it was a similar experience when I took my first Cisco exam. When I went to LSU there was a ton of computer-based testing so using a computer to take an exam wasn't a foreign topic, but the general formatting and knowing "what Cisco wants for an answer" isn't something you can practice. You just have to take the exams and get used to it.
    pbosworth@gmail.com
  • knicks1208knicks1208 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    So I just found out yesterday that I passed SSCP (test taken on 2/14)! That was a relief as I left the exam giving myself a 50-50 shot, a mere coin flip. I found the exam actually enjoyable and definitely challenging (finished in under just under 2 hours). JD's advice to know the concepts, not just the facts should not be taken lightly. I would say more, but I don't want to violate anything 1 day after getting my certification email! One thing that didn't sit too well with me is the fact that I didn't get my test score. Now after spending over $500 for the total "experience", I kind of think that I'm entitled to my score. Is there a way to get this, can I call (ISC)2?

Also, what's next for me? I need another year for CISSP and currently now only have Security+ and SSCP. I would like to stick with security because it is still fresh, however find it difficult to locate any well recognized security exams. I know there have been other posts about cert. paths, I'm just greedy and want advice tailored to me! lol.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on TechExams.net!
    Congratulations!

What do you mean you need another year for the CISSP? You're only one year away from satisfying the experience requirement? If that's all you're talking about, just go for it. They'll just label you an Associate of CISSP until you satisfy the requirements, and you're given six years to do so. You'll become a full-fledged CISSP as soon as you do.

What type of security topics interest you? Other certs seem to be more focused, so knowing your interests would help.
    knicks1208 wrote: »
    So I just found out yesterday that I passed SSCP (test taken on 2/14)!
    Congratulations! Welcome to the club! icon_thumright.gif
    I would say more, but I don't want to violate anything 1 day after getting my certification email!
    Hey, you're not SSCP-certified yet! Get that endorsement form filled out, signed, and faxed in the the (ISC)2 ASAP!
    I kind of think that I'm entitled to my score. Is there a way to get this, can I call (ISC)2?
    Absolutely not! No candidate gets the score of any (ISC)2 exam that s/he has passed. That rule is part of preserving the integrity of the exams.
    Also, what's next for me? I need another year for CISSP and currently now only have Security+ and SSCP.
    I agree with dynamik; you should start studying for the CISSP now while the SSCP CBK material is still fresh in your mind. Pass the CISSP exam later this year and be awarded the Associate CISSP. When you have the work experience that your endorser can verify, apply to the (ISC)2 for the full CISSP certification. Don't let the momentum you've gained from studying for the SSCP go to waste!
  • gwamakagwamaka Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations on the pass ! I am also in the same boat as I will be sitting for SSCP exam in May. I am currently studying the Official SSCP guide, Syngress SSCP guide and Shon Harris's All in one Guide.

Would you mind to share how you prepared for the exam( books and other resources used) , your background and experience and on which preparation materials were the most effective for you.

I think since you just passed the SSCP, the next logical step would be to study for CISSP as there is a big overlap between the two exams. If you pass the test you will be ISC2 Associate and you will have 6 years to acquire the experience.

So I just found out yesterday that I passed SSCP (test taken on 2/14)! That was a relief as I left the exam giving myself a 50-50 shot, a mere coin flip. I found the exam actually enjoyable and definitely challenging (finished in under just under 2 hours). JD's advice to know the concepts, not just the facts should not be taken lightly. I would say more, but I don't want to violate anything 1 day after getting my certification email! One thing that didn't sit too well with me is the fact that I didn't get my test score. Now after spending over $500 for the total "experience", I kind of think that I'm entitled to my score. Is there a way to get this, can I call (ISC)2?

Also, what's next for me? I need another year for CISSP and currently now only have Security+ and SSCP. I would like to stick with security because it is still fresh, however find it difficult to locate any well recognized security exams. I know there have been other posts about cert. paths, I'm just greedy and want advice tailored to me! lol.

Thanks to everyone who helped me on TechExams.net!
    gwamaka wrote: »
    as there is a big overlap between the two exams.
    This is an illusion and a myth. Although there is some overlapping material in the two CBKs, the focus on the material is quite different, as are the exams themselves. Don't study for the CISSP lightly just because you've passed the SSCP. If you do, you'll be quite shocked on exam day when you start reading through the CISSP exam book.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    JDMurray wrote: »
    This is an illusion and a myth. Although there is some overlapping material in the two CBKs, the focus on the material is quite different, as are the exams themselves. Don't study for the CISSP lightly just because you've passed the SSCP. If you do, you'll be quite shocked on exam day when you start reading through the CISSP exam book.

But I remember you recommended taking CISSP few months after SSCP ? I don't know, but for people like me who needs 2+ yrs to qualify for CISSP, I was thinking of delaying SSCP so I can study for SSCP and then CISSP immediately, what do you think ?
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

He's saying there's not an enormous amount of overlap between the two. Compare the differences in the domains. He's not saying don't go on to it next or that there's no overlap, just don't assume that it's going to be a walk in the park.
    UnixGuy wrote: »
    But I remember you recommended taking CISSP few months after SSCP ? I don't know, but for people like me who needs 2+ yrs to qualify for CISSP, I was thinking of delaying SSCP so I can study for SSCP and then CISSP immediately, what do you think ?
    Many people jump to the conclusion that the SSCP is just 7 of the 10 domains in the CISSP--and it isn't. There is overlap, but the SSCP is more technical, while the CISSP is more oriented towards business. The two exams are complementary, but not largely identical. Still, most everything you lean for the SSCP can be applied to learning the CISSP CBK as well.
  • UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    I see, thank you guys !
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Check out my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/DRJic8vCodE 

• cdupuiscdupuis Inactive Imported Users Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Good day to all,

I think a lot has been said about Quizzes, study in depth, know the concepts, know how things work, etc... etc..

These are all good tips. People usually fail this exam because they over study topics that will never show up on the exam. I have seen people who read 500 pages books on IDS or Firewalls. I can tell you all you need to know about firewalls and IDS for the purpose of the exam in about 20 minutes.

The quiz questions do help in two ways:

1. Finding your weak domains and areas
    2. Remembering key topics

Quizzing with any quiz engine is good. It will help you greatly if you take the time to review the questions you have missed and learn more on those specific topics. The ten domains of the CBK are very wide and this is what makes this exam such a challenge.

I can tell you from having trained over 3500 CISSP over the past ten years that students who uses the quiz engine and do a large number of questions always do better than students who have not used the quiz at all.

How can I say this, it is very easy. I monitor the students in class to see how many quizzes they have done and then I look at their exam results. It is a one to one matching, what you put in is what you will get out of it.

Do your homework and you will be fine

Best regards

Clement

Clement Dupuis, CD
    Owner and Maintainer of the CCCure Portals
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    Thanks for your insight Clement, a question I should pose to you on CCCURE, but when are we going to see some CISM bank questions? Definitely appreciated your CISA exam portal.
    cdupuis wrote: »
    Good day to all,

I think a lot has been said about Quizzes, study in depth, know the concepts, know how things work, etc... etc..

These are all good tips. People usually fail this exam because they over study topics that will never show up on the exam. I have seen people who read 500 pages books on IDS or Firewalls. I can tell you all you need to know about firewalls and IDS for the purpose of the exam in about 20 minutes.

The quiz questions do help in two ways:

1. Finding your weak domains and areas
    2. Remembering key topics

Quizzing with any quiz engine is good. It will help you greatly if you take the time to review the questions you have missed and learn more on those specific topics. The ten domains of the CBK are very wide and this is what makes this exam such a challenge.

I can tell you from having trained over 3500 CISSP over the past ten years that students who uses the quiz engine and do a large number of questions always do better than students who have not used the quiz at all.

How can I say this, it is very easy. I monitor the students in class to see how many quizzes they have done and then I look at their exam results. It is a one to one matching, what you put in is what you will get out of it.

Do your homework and you will be fine

Best regards

Clement

Clement Dupuis, CD
    Owner and Maintainer of the CCCure Portals
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□

My question is, how accurate are the questions on freepracticetests.org? I consistently score between 85% and 100% which gives me a lot of confidence, but is it false confidence? Am I taking too much from this site hoping that the exam is similar?
    Thanks again!

I just passed the SSCP (found out my results on Monday). The freepracticetests.org quizzes were not at all helpful as they are drawn from the test bank for the CISSP. I was getting questions that were not from the CBK for the SSCP at all, and they kept on repeating the same material that is NOT covered on the SSCP. I'm glad I didn't pay for them, I took a handful and then quit. Additionally, I attended a CISSP review from the local ISSA chapter and recent, successful CISSP test takers did not find freepracticetests.org helpful either.

You might want to consider the studiscope tests from ISC(2) if you are going to spend some money, join the local ISSA chapter near you for a discount.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Member Posts: 0 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • cabrillo24cabrillo24 Member Posts: 137
    sabooher wrote: »
    I would have to agree with the above statements. I even paid for a membership and I didn't find the questions as helpful as I would have liked. I also registered on cisspexampractice.com and the questions weren't too helpful on that site either. They're better than nothing though but may lead you to a false sense of security. I didnt look at studiscope though but have heard good things about it.

I thought cisspexampractice.com as a great resource tool, same with the paid membership for freepracticetest.org (for the CISA exam).
    Next Up...
    CCNA: Security (210-260)
    Date: TBD