Options

CBT Nuggets Training

FilterXFilterX Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello, I'm new to these forums and wanted to get some people's opinions on CBT Nuggets. I've searched through the numerous posts, and CBT Nuggets has come up numerous times. I've recently purchased the CBT Nuggets MCDST training, and the Transcender Practice Exams.

I've had a working background in IT for many years, but decided to work on getting my certifications. I've just finished going through the 70-271 Nuggets series and I'm fairly confident with the material. My question is if people feel that the CBT Nuggets, and Transcender materials are enough to pass the exam or if I should also purchase the MS Press books (or any others that people may recommend) as well?

I actually purchased the CBT Nuggets NT 4.0 and Exchange 5.5 CD's from Dan the owner of CBT Nuggets many years ago when he was selling it by himself on Ebay. I enjoyed the materials back then, which is why I decided to continue to purchase their products. I've had my share of book material in the past, but prefer learning via CBT's which is why I'm curious if anyone has used CBT Nuggets primarily for their study material.

Any insight from people who have used the CBT Nugget material would be appreciated. Thank you very much in advance. I'm glad I found this forum, I've come across some great information. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    if I could afford to get CBT Nuggets for every cert, I would. But they are a little pricey. I used them for A+ & Network+, and I thought they were great.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    skrpune wrote: »
    if I could afford to get CBT Nuggets for every cert, I would. But they are a little pricey. I used them for A+ & Network+, and I thought they were great.

Have you looked at the streaming subscriptions?

I like them a lot as well. To answer your question though, I think you'll need a book too. CBTs just don't go into the same depth as written resources do. I am speaking generally of course; you may have enough real-world experience to make up for a lack of written resources at the MCDST level.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    dynamik wrote: »
    Have you looked at the streaming subscriptions?

I like them a lot as well. To answer your question though, I think you'll need a book too. CBTs just don't go into the same depth as written resources do. I am speaking generally of course; you may have enough real-world experience to make up for a lack of written resources at the MCDST level.
    I have to agree that, unless you've already got a good background in a given subject, you will need to get a book to supplement most if not all CBT Nuggets videos.

As for streaming...I dunno, I'm a bit strange and I have a philosophical problem with paying for something and not having an actual product to show for it. icon_lol.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    royalroyal Member Posts: 3,352 ■■■■□□□□□□
    skrpune wrote: »
    As for streaming...I dunno, I'm a bit strange and I have a philosophical problem with paying for something and not having an actual product to show for it. icon_lol.gif

I'm the same way. If I pay, I want something tangible. Obviously not good for the environment, but still.
    “For success, attitude is equally as important as ability.” - Harry F. Banks
  • Options
    FilterXFilterX Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for your input. I appreciate it. I'm going to go out, and pick up the MS Press Book tomorrow. It can't hurt to had another book to my collection. Thanks again.
  • Options
    ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am using CBT nuggets and MS Press book I have completed the 1st chapter troubleshooting Windows XP Installs.

I am scoring average 85 - 100% on customized questions which cover the 1st chapter

So looks like i'm on the right track, I watched the 1st chapter video of CBT tonight was very informative and easy to follow although he missed out troubleshooting stop errors when installing Windows XP which is covered in the MS press book. I haven't actually stumbled across a question on the Stop Errors yet but I assume they might come up in the exam so prepare myself anyway.

The great thing about the CBT videos I found that the trainer dude has inspired me to build upon the knowledge provided in the tutorial.

Anwser files and RIS was briefly covered and I intend to have a tinker with Anwser files and actually see if I can't setup XP using the unattended anwser file method tommorow.

I paid £5.00 for CBT videos off ebay
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Options
    buttonsbuttons Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I used CBT nuggets for 70-620 exam i think, I really enjoyed them but they are really pricey if purchased from the website. The ones on ebay werent pirated were they?