Options

Combination MSCE/CCNA lab with VMware

Basically I have quite a bit of money to burn and want your guys' advice for setting up a lab of this sort . I am going to have my CCNA lab totally setup in a week or so and have been looking into VMware to virtualize a Windows client/server environment.

I am new to VMware. I was thinking of just putting together an XP 64-bit rig with 8GB RAM and intalling multiple NICs. Or at least this is my understanding of how it should be done through reading other forums. I just don't know what version of VMware I need. Workstation? Server? I am more than willing to spend the money on a licensed copy.

Do many of you have this kind of lab setup for learning both MCSE and CCNA curriculum?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd tell you, but since you have so much extra money to burn, it's going to cost you ;)

Yea, that's fine. I like the features in Workstation, but if you're building something from the ground-up, you might want to look at something that's ESXi compatible.
  • Options
    ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    I just started the same project. I'm working on my MCSA and CCNA. My setup is a old dell running Ubuntu and VMware Server 2. I have 2x Win 2003 Server Enterprise and and 1x XP Pro VM. I don't have the funds now unless I sell my Canon camera gear to purchase 2x CISCO 25xx router and 1x CISCO 2950 switch. So that has to wait until next month.

My plan is to just purchase the exam study books and follow the exam objectives.
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    ElvisG wrote: »
    I just started the same project. I'm working on my MCSA and CCNA. My setup is a old dell running Ubuntu and VMware Server 2. I have 2x Win 2003 Server Enterprise and and 1x XP Pro VM. I don't have the funds now unless I sell my Canon camera gear to purchase 2x CISCO 25xx router and 1x CISCO 2950 switch. So that has to wait until next month.

My plan is to just purchase the exam study books and follow the exam objectives.
    You have trial versions of 2003 Server I assume?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    I'd tell you, but since you have so much extra money to burn, it's going to cost you ;)

Yea, that's fine. I like the features in Workstation, but if you're building something from the ground-up, you might want to look at something that's ESXi compatible.
    Ok, so my understanding is that ESXi does not intall on top of an operating system but rather is an OS itself dedicated soley to the purpose of virtualization? And that it has a very small footprint. And being that I am building a rig soley for virtualization purposes, it would be best to use ESXi, correct?

I'm just not sure what features I would be missing out on if I went with ESXi over Workstation. And if ESXi would suffice for MCSE purposes.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    djhss68 wrote: »
    I'm just not sure what features I would be missing out on if I went with ESXi over Workstation.

You won't have a client OS, so anything you run will run inside a VM. This is obviously less-than-ideal for things like gaming, and if you are planning on running dynamips/dynagen for your Cisco studies, those will also run in a VM and performance might be affected. You could always have another HD with some other OS for those types of things.
    djhss68 wrote: »
    And if ESXi would suffice for MCSE purposes.

Absolutely.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You won't have a client OS, so anything you run will run inside a VM. This is obviously less-than-ideal for things like gaming, and if you are planning on running dynamips/dynagen for your Cisco studies, those will also run in a VM and performance might be affected. You could always have another HD with some other OS for those types of things.

Absolutely.
    Sounds cool. I think I'll try this. :D:D:D
  • Options
    calaverasgrandescalaverasgrandes Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If you have "money to burn" than get a couple 26XX routers and 2960 or better switches. There is some stuff you cant do with IOS unless ou have at least 2 routers. 2600 series is not obsolete at all, but they are cheap. they tend to have all the cards stripped out when they are on ebay. But they have one ethernet interface and one console port hardwired.
    The cards run $50-100 depending on the type of interface and such.
    I put together my CCNA lab for about $125. I have two 2900's two 2501, 1 2600 and 1 2521.
    As far as on the MCSE side, don't be too crazy about hardware, though I think it is good to use real boxes. I know from the actual IT work that I have done that VMs and real boxes are completely different animals. Stuff that is painless with VMs is quite rocky with hardware. Like getting DHCP to work right can be a pain when you are using commodity switches/routers. Using the wrong cable can hose your whole plan. Yes some gear still needs a crossover cable!
    I am setting up my MCSE side of my lab with an opteron 180 for the server. Formerly my main workstation, but my core2 duo laptop clobbers it! Regular PCs work fine for servers. But you wont get to play with GUID stuff.
    After this I guess....novell?
    studying on 70-290, 70-291 and CCNA.
  • Options
    HandyManHandyMan Member Posts: 24 ■□□□□□□□□□
    If you have money to burn, then I agree with the above - buy a couple of used Cisco routers. I got two routers and a switch from Cisco Kits (I saw a link on this site somewhere) and you can set up your host machine with two network cards connected to your virtual environment.
    The advantage of Cisco Kits over eBay is that the equipment is guaranteed working and you get up to date software (you can't download the IOS from Cisco without an account).
    You also get cables and modules and software geared towards your exams.
    My only problem with them was that the packaging was poor and so came with a big hole in it. Fortunately only a bracket set had fallen out, which CK replaced without question for free.