vmware networking question

I need to access the internet to facilitate activation of win server 2003. I've configured vmware to use bridge networking but I can't figure out why I don't have access. To my understanding either use NAT or bridge networking will allow to access external networks. Can anyone help me understand what's the difference between the two. Thanks in advance.
No Sacrifice, No Victory.

Comments

• RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    A NAT-ed network connection will share the host's IP address and uses the physical nic(s) to communicate.

A bridged is a virtual-physical connection to the network. VMs will have their own, unique IP address.

Typically when VMs can't communicate out when set to bridged or NAT is because of AV or firewall on the host machine. Check that and see where it gets you.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    RTMarc is probably right... Did you notice the "vmware" network connections it added to your host's network properties?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ladiesman217ladiesman217 Member Posts: 416
    blargoe wrote: »
    RTMarc is probably right... Did you notice the "vmware" network connections it added to your host's network properties?

Yeah I have vmnet1 and vmnet8. Do I need to configure my IP on my guest computer to follow the network ID of my host computer? Or just leave it at default...I think bridge networking gets IP via DHCP. ???

thanks guys
    I have no trouble making a connection using NAT, I configured the guest OS to get it's IP automatically and it worked fine. Problem is when I try to use bridge networking either setting the guest OS to static or dynamic IP it can't get a connection. To my understanding vmnet0 is used by NAT...vmnet1 is the virtual NIC on guest OS. Im confused...what is vmnet0, vmnet1, 8 etc..? Can anyone give me an insight how to setup bridge networking in vmaware. icon_sad.gif

Can I use static IP in bridge networking?

thanks
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, you can use a static IP. What type of environment are you in? I've seen switches limit ports to a single IP.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yea, you can use a static IP. What type of environment are you in? I've seen switches limit ports to a single IP.

I'm setting up a virtual lab to simulate server 2003 domain, I'm just using a single pc. I have tried to use bridge networking and I can't figure out what's wrong. I've tried to use dynamic and static addressing, followed my host IP network address, I even turned off my antivirus tool. What else do you think I'm missing? When I tried to configure vmware to use NAT it worked flawlessly without fiddling with my host (physical computer) TCP/IP properties. Do I need to configure my physical network properties to use bridge networking. I want to use bridge networking using static IP on Server 2003 can you give me a step by step guide?
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I'm setting up a virtual lab to simulate server 2003 domain, I'm just using a single pc. I have tried to use bridge networking and I can't figure out what's wrong. I've tried to use dynamic and static addressing, followed my host IP network address, I even turned off my antivirus tool. What else do you think I'm missing? When I tried to configure vmware to use NAT it worked flawlessly without fiddling with my host (physical computer) TCP/IP properties. Do I need to configure my physical network properties to use bridge networking. I want to use bridge networking using static IP on Server 2003 can you give me a step by step guide?
    Are you directly connected to the internet or are you behind a router? If you're directly connected, a lot of ISPs prevent more than 1 (or 2) IP addresses from being active at one time.

We need to understand a little bit more about the environment before we can help you out.
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good article regarding VM Networking:
    VM Weekly - Networking in VMWare
    Got it working. Unchecking the automatic bridging and excluding my bluetooth solve the problem. Now I can get my hands dirty learning server 2003 and vmware technology. thanks :)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you are able to, eventually fool around with incorporating dynamips into the mix. Very cool IMO. It's left me with a million things I want to do, and not so much time to do them all icon_sad.gif
    Mrock4 wrote: »
    If you are able to, eventually fool around with incorporating dynamips into the mix. Very cool IMO. It's left me with a million things I want to do, and not so much time to do them all icon_sad.gif

yeah that's great. I would really want to...but for the meantime I'll try to concentrate with 2003 domain. I also have time constraints + the fact that I can't take all that headaches at a time. lols. :)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Got it working. Unchecking the automatic bridging and excluding my bluetooth solve the problem. Now I can get my hands dirty learning server 2003 and vmware technology. thanks :)

Ah, sorry. That was stupid of me not to suggest icon_redface.gif

I had to do the same thing the other day because it was defaulting to my wireless NIC while I was plugged in.
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Within the Network Connections control panel under advanced you can change the binding order of the network adapters so that doesn't happen in the future.