Options

I'm considering a massive change of pace

gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
So, at the moment, my plan has been to get: -

CCNP, CCIP, CCNA Voice, CCVP then go CCIE.

However, I am really enjoying the straight challenge of R&S and can always learn the voice as an aside.

I am considering now: -

CCNP CCIP then CCIE R&S then picking up all the voice afterwards.

My overall goal is to be an expert in R&S and Voice, and I believe I have what it takes to do the both.

I want to leave the UK at some point too, and the time it would take to get from here to CCIE would mean I could get the right number of years experience too (I would be aiming to sit the CCIE lab probably end of next year, which would mean 3 years Cisco experience, and 6 years working in IT, and err 5 as a Systems Administrator/Senior)

Does this plan seem to make sense?

Or would I be better off sticking with my plan of CCVP just to keep broadening my experience?

Either way, I'll probably be doing both.

Comments

• Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Just depends on what your goals are. If you feel the CCVP will help your career more than a CCIE RS go for that. The CCIE RS is one of my goals also, but I have to study for security-related certs because that's the field I work in.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Well my aim is to be an R&S/Voice expert.

CCVP would mean I do some voice work before the CCIE I guess... but I would love to head straight for the CCIE R&S...
  • Options
    GT-RobGT-Rob Member Posts: 1,090
    Either path puts you at like 6 more exams first, which is a solid year for most people. A lot can happen in that time. You might be working somewhere that wants a CCVP right away (or something completely different)
  • Options
    Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    There's always a road bump. The thing about the RS (or any CCIE track) is that you have to dedicate yourself 100%. If you feel that you won't be able to give 100% to the RS I say go with voice. It's all or nothing.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
  • Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    gorebrush wrote: »
    So, at the moment, my plan has been to get: -

CCNP, CCIP, CCNA Voice, CCVP then go CCIE.

However, I am really enjoying the straight challenge of R&S and can always learn the voice as an aside.

I am considering now: -

CCNP CCIP then CCIE R&S then picking up all the voice afterwards.

My overall goal is to be an expert in R&S and Voice, and I believe I have what it takes to do the both.

I want to leave the UK at some point too, and the time it would take to get from here to CCIE would mean I could get the right number of years experience too (I would be aiming to sit the CCIE lab probably end of next year, which would mean 3 years Cisco experience, and 6 years working in IT, and err 5 as a Systems Administrator/Senior)

Does this plan seem to make sense?

Or would I be better off sticking with my plan of CCVP just to keep broadening my experience?

Either way, I'll probably be doing both.

I would be inclined to get the NP finished then start on IE preparations.
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Gorebrush,

Good plan, i have a very similar one to yourself :D From what ive gathered from other people on the board it can be good to go from CCNP and straight to the IE due to the overlap and how fresh the material will be.

I think i will have to ask a few questions of my own in a new post so i dont hijack the thread :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking