BackTrack 4 beta release

JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
The Remote Exploit Development Team has just announced a special Shmoocon 2009 release of the BackTrack 4 Beta. They consider the version to be stable and usable, and there are a lot of new features.

The download is available as both an ISO and VMWare image.

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Cool! Thanks for the update. Have you played with it at all yet?
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Right now the ISO download is very slow and I can't even get the VMWare download to start. There might be a few other people out there interested in BT4 right now too. icon_wink.gif
  • Paul BozPaul Boz Member Posts: 2,620 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've been grinding on this download for an hour now and I'm only at 50%. If I was in the office i'd just get it off of the shared drive but I'm at the mercy of the Hilton Garden Inn's inet service.
    CCNP | CCIP | CCDP | CCNA, CCDA
    CCNA Security | GSEC |GCFW | GCIH | GCIA
    pbosworth@gmail.com
    http://twitter.com/paul_bosworth
    Blog: http://www.infosiege.net/
    I'm currently at 52% myself. Stop hogging the server!!! icon_lol.gif
    It finally finished. A watched download never completes. ;)

More download sites for BT4 here: The Professional Security Testers Warehouse for the CEH GPEN QISP Q/ISP OPST CPTS
  • ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Ahhh that is exciting. Is there a big difference between BT3 and the 4th release. BT3 is a nice package excited to see what has been added to BT4.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    Here's the only thing I've found:
    Highlights of Backtrack 4 Beta:

· the Kernel was updated to version 2.6.28.1 bringing better hardware support;
    · BackTrack 4 Beta can now be booted over a network, using PXE supported cards;
    · SAINT EXPLOIT, a network vulnerability assessment tool, and MALTEGO 2.0.2, an open source intelligence and forensic app, are now included;
    · the latest mac80211 wireless injection patches were applied along with speed improvements for rtl8187;
    · Pico e12 and e16 cards are now 100% functional with native support, enabling BackTrack 4 to take advantage of everything these incredibly small devices have to offer;
    · Unicornscan, an information gathering and correlation engine is fully functional and features a web front end and postgress logging support;
    · RFID support;
    · Pyrit CUDA support and many more new and updated tools.
    And for those who have gotten BT4 to boot:

bt login: root
    Password: toor

Read the motd for what to do after that.
    Yeah for those people using vmware to start BT3 or 4 its startx after you use the root and toor as your username and pw. Make sure once you log off you enter poweroff.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
    And the remote-exploit.org Wiki has a lot of other useful info, like how to install BT onto a USB stick.

And this thread looks useful too: http://forums.remote-exploit.org/showthread.php?t=1006
    Well downloaded Bt4 and tried to run it. Its telling me that my version of VMWare is to old for Bt4. I am currently running VMWare Workstation 6. There no way this could be to old.

Anyone else run into this?
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Do you have 6.5? I believe it's a free upgrade.
    Dynamik yeah i have 6.0. Downloading the update right now so i guess i will see what happens. Will keep ya posted on that one.

Thanks again for the info
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I got the BT4 release e-mail from the sec focus mailing list yesterday and it should be done downloading now..I'm anxious to give it a shot. I'm curious to fool with RFID if the opportunity presents itself.
    I still haven't gotten Debian on BT4 to recognize my D-link DWL-G122 B1 wireless USB NIC. Booting off a DVD means I can't save any config changes, so I'll have to scrounge up a 1GB thumb drive and use it to boot BT4 and save the customizations for my laptop's hardware. I wish that I actually had the time I'm spending now to hack away at BT4.