Exchange 07 / Outlook / DNS = Question.

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
I'm trying to get Outlook to connect to our Exchange server externally. I posted this on Experts Exchange also, so I'm just going to copy and paste what I had there...basically, I'm just having the problem of not being able to connect an Outlook client to the Exchange server from outside the LAN. Everything else works just fine.

"domainnameINC.com" is set as the primary SMTP address for all users. I have also tested mail flow internally and externally and confirmed it to be working. The MX record that points to those domain names is not the one I'm trying to resolve externally. All of that works.

I am concerned with an Outlook client for this Exchange server that is configured with a server name of "exchange.xxx.domainname.com".

That name works internally to connect to the Exchange server, authenticate users, send/receive mail, etc.

Externally, that name will not even connect to the Exchange server. I also cannot resolve that name from outside the internal network via ping.

Do I need to...

A) Rename the Exchange server internally to a name the outside clients can connect to? If so, how do I do that?
B) Create a record outside to point to this internal name? If so, how do I do that, as I do not own the internal domain name?
C) Something else I am missing? Is there another way to get external users connecting to Exchange via Outlook?

Comments