certification path

mayank2711mayank2711 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
hi there i m a novice in this forum.i want to make a career in computer/network/cyber security.i will complete my graduation in may 2005 and will go for MS(USA) in september 2006.my major is computer science and i want to have 'security' as my field of specialization.i will have 14 months to collect certifications before i leave for usa.can anybody tell me what should be my certification path considering me as a lay man.

Comments

• skully93skully93 Member Posts: 323 ■■■□□□□□□□
    The Security+ is supposed to be the low-end. There a several MS exams you can peek at too, though most would require you to have your MCSA at least to put to any good use.

I figure once I get my MCSE +Security, I'll probably see if I can go the Cisco route. I would trust the network to be secure on the outside a lot more than the inside.
    I do not have a psychiatrist and I do not want one, for the simple reason that if he listened to me long enough, he might become disturbed.

-- James Thurber
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    Just get your MCSA, then focus on Cisco. Once you get into Cisco, put some focus into finishing your MCSE.
  • nightstrm_utnightstrm_ut Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    garv221 wrote:
    Just get your MCSA, then focus on Cisco. Once you get into Cisco, put some focus into finishing your MCSE.
    Yep, that is exactly my plan... get my MCSA: Security then start into the Cisco stuff.
  • mayank2711mayank2711 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    so you mean to say my certification path should be likt this
    A+
    NETWORK+
    SECURITY+
    MCSA
    CISCO
    MCSE

rite or wrong plz help
  • nightstrm_utnightstrm_ut Member Posts: 35 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mayank2711 wrote:
    A+
    NETWORK+
    SECURITY+
    MCSA
    CISCO
    MCSE

rite or wrong plz help
    That is the basic plan that I am following... working on MCSA (w/ security specialization) now, then will complete the CCNA before going back to MCSE. After that I plan on going further into the Cisco program if my job warrants it. I am also debating on taking a break after the MCSA to finish my MBA with an IS specialization.
  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    I would get my MCSA before SEC+.
  • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Get your Sec+ plus before you get MCSA, as it will count as one of the 4 tests, and save you taking a MS test.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • TeKniquesTeKniques Member Posts: 1,262 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well if you have A+ and Net+ already that counts as an elective towards your MCSA. Then you can get the Sec+ for the MCSE elective.

Just depends if you want the extra test. Personally if your already A+ and Net+ you should just get the MCSA and then upgrade later on after you get your CISCO stuff. Good luck wherever you go :D
  • mayank2711mayank2711 Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    thanx to all those experts for your kind advices.by the way by MS i meant master of science and i feel most of you guessed it wrong.anyways what are job prospects for a fresher in USA who has done his graduation in security.
  • postgreppostgrep Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Oops, Im already about to start my CNAP. I get a CCNA after 2 years of it, hopefully I can fit in A+ before it though. Certification books sure are expensive though icon_sad.gif
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mayank2711 wrote:
    thanx to all those experts for your kind advices.by the way by MS i meant master of science and i feel most of you guessed it wrong.anyways what are job prospects for a fresher in USA who has done his graduation in security.

well, i think you dont even know what you r up to for a BS. because there is no such a thing like security college except that you learn from pratices n experiences. n get certified. anyone agree ? icon_confused.gif
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • TheShadowTheShadow Member Posts: 1,057 ■■■■■■□□□□
    mayank2711 wrote:

well, i think you dont even know what you r up to for a BS. because there is no such a thing like security college except that you learn from pratices n experiences. n get certified. anyone agree ? icon_confused.gif

You are mistaken, security degrees are offered in the USA and many other countries. Prestigious John Hoppkins in the USA offers MASTER OF SCIENCE IN SECURITY INFORMATICS which was started with a grant from the US National Science Foundation. Some of these degrees come under the new general category of forensic computing. There have been a few PHd's awarded already, Stockholm comes to mind. A few more first tier accredited schools offering them are City University of New York USA, ECU in Perth Australia, Mason University in Virginia USA, Carnegie Mellon in USA, U of So. Cal. USA, Iowa State USA, Georgia Tech USA, DePaul U. USA, U of London U.K.,
    Who knows what evil lurks in the heart of technology?... The Shadow DO
  • strauchrstrauchr Member Posts: 528 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I think its great to have degrees in computing specializing in security but it seems to me that so many newbie IT people may be wasting their time and money.

By this I mean they come straight out of a degree, get some security certs and want to secure enterprises straight away. None of them have any admin or general IT support experience so how can they understand the advanced topics of firewall admin, IT security policies and procedures, security updates for enterprises, anti virus/spam/spyware management for enterprises.

If most of these people plan on getting into security after a few years as an admin then they should focus on that and chose security afterwards rather than learn it before even getting into an IT job.

Security training should be aimed at experienced high level IT people not newbies who are being lead down the path of whats "hot" or whats "popular" in IT right now.

Not having a go at the newbies more taking a stab at the universities and colleges that are pushing people into these paths for profit. Maybe some people studying in this area can enlighten me.
  • rossonieri#1rossonieri#1 Member Posts: 799 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i agree with you shadow and strauchr... :)
    but the euphoria of security today makes many people taking the shortcut for "BBD - bigger better deal " ( the mask - jim carrey ) for bigger $$$ without knowing a strong foundation about what it is, what's for, how its work etc.
    for me myself -> i prefer to an old saying if you want to make good a cookie then you have to know the taste of every single ingredients in it, at least you have tried to.
    in short : know the mechanism. know how to implement it first -> then if that is not enough you go to the next step.
    how would you study security if you not knowing them at the very simplest form of your everyday life..
    think again.. :D
    the More I know, that is more and More I dont know.
  • Todd1225Todd1225 Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    mayank2711 wrote:
    A+
    NETWORK+
    SECURITY+
    MCSA
    CISCO
    MCSE
    rite or wrong plz help

My advice would be to learn A+, Network+, and maybe Security+....and learn then very well. Don't just try to accumulate certs, it's best to know a few things very well than to know very little about everything under the sun. Knowing those entry levels certs will let you get your feet wet and lay a great foundation for the tougher, more epecialized certs like MCSE and CCNA. Your brain will thank you...
    Todd Baugh
    Aspiring Network Tech