Passed 299/298

Passed 299 (868/1000) Tuesday and 298 (919/1000) yesterday

I would highly recommend taking these exams together as the content is pretty much identical. 299 = How would you do it / 298 = How should you do it

The 298 was definately the easier of the two exams, I would say majority of the questions could be answered without really studying the case studys just by following MS best practice, although it is worth looking incase they have a reason for not following best practice :)

Going to complete 70-351 (ISA2006) exam to finish off my MCSE:Security and then on to the CCNA:Security to renew my CCNA.
This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
Learning Python and OSCP

Comments

• undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Excellent scores too. Good luck on the 351.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Awesome, congratulations! icon_cheers.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Good job Dave :D

Good luck with the ISA stuff too.
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • jnwdmbjnwdmb Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I couldn't agree more....I actually have been thinking the same thing as you and I sat both the 298 and 299 today. I was more nervous about the 299 than I was the 298 because it seemed so much more in depth on the topics, but I must say that these two exams went hand in hand just like the 291 and 293 (very similar concepts/content). Congrats on your pass(s)!
    A+ IT Technician, Network +, Security+
    MCSA:M, MCSE:S
    (MS 270,290,291,293,294,298,299)
    MS Exchange 2003 (70-284)
    MCTS: Server 2K8 Virtualization(70-652 & 70-403)
  • penberthpenberth Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am taking the 299 on Thursday Morning....I am a little nervous. I am doing pretty well on the Transcenders and the practice exams....but some of the questions, the answer just doesn't stand out.

Can I ask a few general questions?

How many questions?

Main topics? Is there one particular topic that is more prevalent? Such as more questions on say, IPSEC, etc? Kind of like how the 294 exam was all GPOs...

Any simulations?

Any help you can provide is appreciated.

Thanks
    I had a little over 40 questions with no sims, but did have some interactive questions. Not focused on any one particular topic in my opinion. I know that my statements are general and that doesn't help much, but I do not know exactly what I am "allowed" to say to be honest.
    jnwdmb,

Did you have a lot of PKI / Certificate stuff?

Did you have a lot of IPSEC stuff?

These are the two categories that I dislike. :)

By this, I would mean, say more than 5 or so questions.
    I have to say that they are both an integral part of the exam and a necessity to understand how these topics function and how they are a key part of securing a network. Not too sound rude or anything, but IMO, someone who does not have a firm grasp on these concepts should not be able to pass the exam. Having a certification is only worthwhile if you have the knowledge to apply it in a work environment. I wish you luck with your exam, but would strongly suggest that you review these topics before attempting the certification.
    I understand what you are saying. I am not trying to circumvent the system. I do have a decent grasp on those topics. All I was trying to find out is if they play a larger part of the exam than say another topic, such as SUS. I am working through some last minute cramming, and am trying to figure out which topics to focus on.

Some MS exams focus very heavily on a particular topic. Such as 294. It is supposed to be planning and implementing AD...but everyone that has taken it knows that it is really ALL GPO, with just a tiny splash of everything else.

No big deal....I plan on re-reading the PKI / Certificate / IPSEC chapters anyways as everything else I feel very comfortable with.
    I understand what you are saying, I didn't mean to sound accusing or anything like that. I have taken the 294 and agree completely. All I can say in regards to the exam is that PKI was a MAJOR component in my exam experience, as was SUS. I can also say with a large amount of confidence that if you pass the 299, then the 298 should be no problem for you. The exam format is different but it is essentially a review of the major security concepts and practices. Despite scoring higher on my 299 I felt as though it was more difficult than the 298. Please let me know how do Thursday and if I can do anything to assist you in your studies.
    So I passed my 70-299 exam this AM. Got a 906. So I am pretty pleased. With what you said, I am taking the 298 on Tuesday morning. Looking to knock it out and be done with my MCSE. I started taking a practice test on Transcender....and boy, that sure is a weird format. I don't know how much I like it.

So I am hoping to get the format down over the next few days so that I can be done. :)