Voip Site surveys

nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

does anyone on the board go to new sites and spec what they require etc to install Voip. ive just been told i will be involved and eventually taking over the site surveys for our division. This is something im looking forward to and hopefully i can get some voip experiance along the way. At the min i dont have any voip experiance but i was hoping someone could shed some light on the kind of steps you take to perform and complete a site survey.

Im hoping i can get involved in the deployment of new voip sites too so if i can i think i will be looking at the voip track very closely :D
Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
WIP: Msc advanced networking

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Are you looking at upgrading existing voice infrastructure, or are these completely new installs? How many users roughly per location?
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    In the CCVP FAQ there are links to the Solution Reference Network Design (SRND) Documents.

For a lab it's easy to pick out the Multi-site Deployment Model with Centralized Call Processing and use that as a basis for lab development. Depending on the size (and geographic distribution) of your organization, you might be looking at Multi-site Deployment Model with Distributed Call Processing. It's probably a good idea to look at the various models to get a high level overview.

Once you've checked those out and are feeling comfortable with the basic high level designs, it may be time to visit the System Technical Information Site. :D

Start by looking at Cisco Unified Communications System Documentation [Cisco Unified Communications System] - Cisco Systems

Pick a CallManager/Unified Communications Manager software release and check out the System Technical Information Site. In the CCVP FAQ I link to the 6.1(1) version of the Cisco Unified Communications IP Telephony Technical Information Site

Poke around the tabs (Prepare, Plan, Design, Implement, Operate, and Optimize) and follow the links (and the links on those pages, etc...) to get an idea of the tasks involved.

You can also check out the Resource Library and Training Library tabs.

Under the Network Topology Resources link on the Resource Library tab you can download some Microsoft Visio Network Topology Diagrams. The Visio Diagrams contained in the Site Model and Component Zip files are more detailed than the links I posted to the SRND Deployment Models.

Those links should keep you busy for a while.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the links.

The sites range between various amounts of users. Mostly ranging anywhere between 6 people at an office to 900 at an office. There are around 6 sites or so in our division that have voip already and these have been completed by folk at a central group location. But they want someone from our division to do them on there behalf in co-ordination with me. I dont really know the extent i will be involved yet but i want to get as much out of it as possible. However call manager is centrally administered and the voice gateways are handled and installed by BT. So i guess it will be the initial survey, co-ordination with other parties and hopefully (at a minimum) deploying the phones etc on site. Anything i can take from it will be a plus from my perspective no matter how big or small.

• bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nel wrote: »
    Anything i can take from it will be a plus from my perspective no matter how big or small.

Slightly off-topic I know but I'm always chuffed that you seem to want as much experience as you can get - that'll be great for your career fella.

Incidentally, I skimmed the first couple of those links mike posted and went dizzy :S
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    bertieb wrote: »
    Slightly off-topic I know but I'm always chuffed that you seem to want as much experience as you can get - that'll be great for your career fella.

Incidentally, I skimmed the first couple of those links mike posted and went dizzy :S

Thanks big lad :D

...yeah i think it will take a few good reads of that info ;)

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I was thinking when I posted those links that I should probably suggest a "high proof beverage" drunken_smilie.gif for the first read through. icon_study.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!