Passed Gwgk

Finally passed the Gwgk test after two attempts. Did quite well second try. :)

I did have one question about the test this time around. In the past Cisco exams I've taken, I knew that I had to wait a week before I could retake an exam if I didn't pass it. When I took the test today, I noticed at the last post-test exam screen that it said (as well as on my score sheet):

"Cisco policy requires that you wait a minimum of 180 days before retaking an exam (with an identical exam number)."

I don't remember seeing this before. I took this exact exam about 2-3 weeks ago, which I failed. Does this mean that I should have waited until July to retake it and this test is invalidated or something? If this information is correct, could Cisco possibly do anything better to *discourage* people from pursuing certification by insisting on waiting such absurd periods of time before being able to retake a test?
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949

Comments

• shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    Finally passed the Gwgk test after two attempts. Did quite well second try. :)

I did have one question about the test this time around. In the past Cisco exams I've taken, I knew that I had to wait a week before I could retake an exam if I didn't pass it. When I took the test today, I noticed at the last post-test exam screen that it said (as well as on my score sheet):

"Cisco policy requires that you wait a minimum of 180 days before retaking an exam (with an identical exam number)."

I don't remember seeing this before. I took this exact exam about 2-3 weeks ago, which I failed. Does this mean that I should have waited until July to retake it and this test is invalidated or something? If this information is correct, could Cisco possibly do anything better to *discourage* people from pursuing certification by insisting on waiting such absurd periods of time before being able to retake a test?

Pretty sure thats only if you passed the exam that theres a waiting period of that length crunchy...now be happy for once you passed icon_thumright.gificon_thumright.gif
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    passed the Gwgk test
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Does this mean you're going to try and finish the CCVP rather than switch to the CCIP (or CCNP)?
    That's what you want to see on your score reports. :D When you PASS you have to wait those 180 days. It's when you fail that you have to only wait 5 days.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Does this mean you're going to try and finish the CCVP rather than switch to the CCIP (or CCNP)?

That's what you want to see on your score reports. :D When you PASS you have to wait those 180 days. It's when you fail that you have to only wait 5 days.

Whew! icon_wink.gif I was hoping my pass wasn't for naught.

Yes, I'm going to go ahead and do the CCVP. There's no guarantee that getting a CCIP here will make me a nickel more than I'm making now, nor will it guarantee me employee status instead of a mere contractor (moreover, the company has a hiring freeze on anyways).

It sux that there's no voice equipment to practice on here, but at least I'm getting some real NOC experience in. It's filling in the lack-of-experience void so prominent on my resume.

Only three more tests to go - not counting that niggling CCNA-Voice test to mop up with at the end. icon_mad.gif
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

I'm glad to see things are looking better on the experience front for you also icon_thumright.gif
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • NOCupNOCup Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulation!! Could you tell me which book did you used? I am studying for GWGK now. I am using the quick reference sheets and Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers by Donohue, Mallory and Salhoff published in August 2006, ISBN 1-58705-258-X.
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    NOCup wrote: »
    Congratulation!! Could you tell me which book did you used? I am studying for GWGK now. I am using the quick reference sheets and Cisco Voice Gateways and Gatekeepers by Donohue, Mallory and Salhoff published in August 2006, ISBN 1-58705-258-X.

I used everything you're using, and I also used the Knowledgenet videos, which were very helpful.