Preplogic Study Guides $1

Hey Gang,
Amongst the bombardment of Preplogic emails I receive daily, this one I got today is actually a pretty sweet deal. Right now they are selling most of their Mega Guides (basically TechNotes on steroids) for $1. A few of them are $9, but still way cheaper than normal price. This morning I splurged and spent 7 bucks. icon_lol.gif I started looking through these and they seam pretty good. The ones I bought anywhere from 85 - 111 pages in size in PDF form. They also have some practice questions at the end. An excellent resource for only $1.

http://www.preplogic.com/products/mega-guides/view-mega-guides.aspx

Happy Holidays everyone. :)
WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    That's a sweet deal. To bad I have already passed all the Cisco exams they are offering guides for.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    SQL timeouts when adding items to my cart, maybe their website admins need to be reading these $1 guides :)
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Nice. I need to pass some Cisco exams next year and $1 study guides are too good to pass up.
  • blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I picked all of the $1 guides for which I don't have a cert, and the $9 CCNA guide because I want to re-earn my CCNA next year, it's been expired since 2004.

So I guess I'll be doing CIW, Oracle, Wireless#, CCNA, VCP, EMCSP, MCITP Messaging and Enterprise, and CEH next year icon_twisted.gif
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    blargoe wrote:
    SQL timeouts when adding items to my cart, maybe their website admins need to be reading these $1 guides :)

SQL timeout for me as well.
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • ConstantlyLearningConstantlyLearning Member Posts: 445
    I ended up getting six...Why must I distract myself from my main studies?...

:)
    "There are 3 types of people in this world, those who can count and those who can't"
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    picked up 1 of these thanks for the link!

there goes my money for the dollar menu though icon_sad.gif
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    Nice! I'm gonna pick up some of the Cisco study guides, been meaning to get some cisco certs.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    gojericho0 wrote:
    picked up 1 of these thanks for the link!

there goes my money for the dollar menu though icon_sad.gif

Hmmm, tough choice there - double cheeseburger or cert guide??

...dang nabbit, now I want a cheeseburger...
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    skrpune wrote:
    Hmmm, tough choice there - double cheeseburger or cert guide??

...dang nabbit, now I want a cheeseburger...

Tough choice indeed, maybe can we do 1/2 cheeseburger and 1/2 cert guide? Get the best of both worlds?
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Ouch, $44 here. The (ISC)2 and CCNA guides did me in.

Thanks, nice find!

That's like six weeks of no cheeseburgers though icon_sad.gif
  • JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    Wow nice find! I spent 6 bucks. Picked up the 3 CCNP ones they had along with the CEH and LPI guides.
  • LarryDaManLarryDaMan Member Posts: 797
    $11 here.... looks like Prep Logic is making a killing today off of what are probably outdated pdf files. Smart marketing. :D
    LarryDaMan wrote:
    $11 here.... looks like Prep Logic is making a killing today off of what are probably outdated pdf files. Smart marketing. :D

Actually, after taking a look at the ones I downloaded it looks like fairly recent stuff. 2007 for everything :D
  • savior fairesavior faire Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I bought the PrepLogic suite of study materials for SQL Server 2005 Imp/Maint(70-431) in the early summer. Included practice exams, Mega Guide and some Audio CDs.

Overall I was very pleased with the materials...though the Mega Guide was nothing of biblical proportions in my judgement.
  • benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just received word from my CC company that my account was compromised. I'm not sure but the PrepLogic site may have had something to do with it. I bought $4 worth of material a few weeks ago. I'm not saying this is the reason it was stolen, but it was one of those odd-ball purchases I typically don't make.

Just a heads up.
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    benbuiltpc wrote: »
    I just received word from my CC company that my account was compromised. I'm not sure but the PrepLogic site may have had something to do with it. I bought $4 worth of material a few weeks ago. I'm not saying this is the reason it was stolen, but it was one of those odd-ball purchases I typically don't make.

Just a heads up.

Did your credit card company actually call you on the telephone? or was it an email. Because if it was an email....well then that's a phishing expedition. Don't tell me you fell for that.

If it indeed get compromised, then sorry to hear that. I'm sure your credit card company can properly handle any fraudulent charges. Maybe it's paranoia or the fact the I'm bored to death at work, but I typically log into my credit card company's website once a week to make sure I know what's going on with any charges on my card.

But never-the-less, I seriously doubt Preplogic had anything to do with it. You do know that Preplogic is a sponsor on TE right?
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • benbuiltpcbenbuiltpc Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Did your credit card company actually call you on the telephone? or was it an email. Because if it was an email....well then that's a phishing expedition. Don't tell me you fell for that.

If it indeed get compromised, then sorry to hear that. I'm sure your credit card company can properly handle any fraudulent charges. Maybe it's paranoia or the fact the I'm bored to death at work, but I typically log into my credit card company's website once a week to make sure I know what's going on with any charges on my card.

But never-the-less, I seriously doubt Preplogic had anything to do with it. You do know that Preplogic is a sponsor on TE right?

No, I didn't get scammed. My card was ligitimately hijacked. And I cancelled it immediately.

To make matters more interesting, I just got a voicemail on my cellphone from someone claiming to be from Preplogic. They obviously called from their cellphone, I could hear a car door dinging in the background. I googled the number and it came back to a classified ad in no way related to Preplogic or certification companies.
    I just received a similar call on my cell phone from preplogic this morning, sounded like it was from a call center (lots of background chattering). My credit card looks okay though, I don't see any unusual charges.
  • aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Aww they must have jacked the prices back up its all expensive now =(
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    All of PrepLogic's $34US Mega Guides are now only $4US each until Friday. They don't specify which Friday.

IT Certification Guides - CCNA MCSE A+ Network Security Certification Guides
    JDMurray wrote: »
    All of PrepLogic's $34US Mega Guides are now only $4US each until Friday. They don't specify which Friday.

IT Certification Guides - CCNA MCSE A+ Network Security Certification Guides
    Nice find. Just snagged a couple - 290/291 to finish out my MCSA, and picked up the CCNA guide just for "shiggles"...

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'm tempted to get the guides for the Oracle OCA/OCP exams. I just bought the book on these exams from Amazon so these might be good supplemental material. Never having use Preplogic before, are they any good? I'm skeptical when I see a deal like this that is too good to be true.
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    The ones I looked at were ~90 pages of information. I haven't looked at them too in-depth yet, but they seemed to be worth what I spent. I'd be more on the fence at full price since you can nearly get another book for that amount.
    dynamik wrote: »
    The ones I looked at were ~90 pages of information. I haven't looked at them too in-depth yet, but they seemed to be worth what I spent. I'd be more on the fence at full price since you can nearly get another book for that amount.
    I agree with you here...if it were full price, I'd say it wouldn't be worth it, but it's a good buy at $4. The 290 guide is about 80 pages, the 291 guide is about 100 pages, and the CCNA guide is about 180 pages.

They're not going to be your sole source to pass an exam, but they appear to be a pretty good outline with the nitty gritty details you need to review. Plus, it's always nice to have a second (or third or fourth) study source to get a different perspective on things, and at $4 a pop, that's a pretty good price.

• BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I'll go ahead and get the 3 exam guides for the OCA/OCP exams then. I don't know why I was on the fence anyway, since my employer will be paying for this ;)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well I'm out $32. Picked up guides for CCNA, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299 and Security +. Pretty sweet deal!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    Is it safe to purchase from them? I saw someone had an issue.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    ElvisG wrote: »
    Is it safe to purchase from them? I saw someone had an issue.
    Should be. They advertise here as well. Nobody else has complained about having issues with them either.
  • motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    #%$%#^#^#!!!..... how did I miss this post, everything is back in the $34 dollar range. Guess I'll have to keep watching, I usually just delete the spam from them out of my mailbox every day.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!