Remote desktop + Terminal Service question

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
So my question is whenever I connect to a server through my new computer it doesn't show on console screen. As in it gives me a new session. The only change I made was upgraded my computer and possibly put on sp3, although I thought my last one had that already.

Anyone know why randomly now it doesn't give me the console session on remote desktop? Terminal services seems to be the same too, no changes there.

Comments

• Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Are you using the /console switch?
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Nm I figured it out I think.

No I can use the new /admin command but I was trying to access it through the gui remote desktop not the cmd. I guess winxp sp3 is bugged out or something from what ive been reading and I have to roll back to sp2 to get it to work.

Thanks for reply.
    You don't have to use the command line. Just create a shortcut and append the /console switch to the target path.

%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe /console
    Hmmm... or uhh

%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe /admin :D
    Oh nice thanks got it. Is there anyway to make it work in an MMC snap-in like before so I don't have like 10 shortcuts but instead just one?
    Don't think that you can use switches in the mmc snap-in.

You shouldn't have to create a shortcut for each one though. Just create a normal program shortcut for remote desktop and add that switch to the target path. When you launch it, you should see a drop-down menu that lists your frequently accessed rdp sessions.
    Ah I see thanks! At first I thought it was worse but it is basically the same.
  • _maurice_maurice Member Posts: 142
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Oh nice thanks got it. Is there anyway to make it work in an MMC snap-in like before so I don't have like 10 shortcuts but instead just one?

Use the Remote Desktops MMC snap. It is available via the Windows 2003 adminpak.msi you can find by searching google. You install this on a winxp professional workstation, and can manage multiple terminal services with just a single click. It supports saving username/pass and also supports connecting to the console session!