Cannot Connect To Wireless Network

telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
I have a D-Link DI-624 rev C router that I have been using for over a year with no wireless connection problems using my old HP laptop. My setup is pretty basic. I have one desktop PC and a laptop connecting to a D-Link DI-624 4 port cable/dsl router. I recently purchased a Dell Inspiron laptop running 32 bit Vista. I have tried everything, but still cannot connect to the internet with my laptop. I reset the cable modem and router multiple times, verifying the WPA security pasphrase on both the router and laptop. I connect to he router, but it says I have limited connectivity, with no internet access. When I run a diagnostic on my laptop, everthing checks out fine except for no IP address, it shows the eroneous ip address 169.254.xx.xx. I checked my router and DHCP is enables and the firmware is up to day, 2.71. Ny suggestion to get my wireless working. Do you think it could be my router??
"Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."

Comments

• dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Can you give it a static IP and ping your gateway or other devices on the LAN?

Does it pull a DHCP address and work properly if you plug it directly into the device?
  • telecomops101telecomops101 Member Posts: 128
    If I connect my laptop directly to my cable modem I can get online
    "Every job is a self-portrait of the person who did it. Autograph your work with excellence."
    I forgot to mention that my desktop works with no issues nad it's connected to port 1 of the router.
  • gojericho0gojericho0 Member Posts: 1,059 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Anyway you can plug the wireless adapter the desktop uses into the laptop? Also are you using the same software in both to try and connect to the wireless network?
    My desktop is not wireless. It connects via network cable to ports 1 of the cable/dsl router.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Your router is probably doing MAC filtering. Turn that off or add the laptop to the allowed list.
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I believe it is a Vista issue with the Dlink. I setup a wireless network for someone and was able to get the Dell Vista Laptop on once. The next day they couldn't get on and the only way to get them on was to remove the WPA2 encryption I had setup. Turn off the encryption and see if that works.....
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
    I can connect if there is no security set
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't have a fix for it, but if make sure you are completely up to date and see if that works for you. Also, I saw a suggestion for updating the firmware on the routers and that there is a hotfix for a sleep issue that seemed to work.

The default gateway setting is lost when you wake a Windows Vista-based computer from sleep Download and see if it works!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff