Options

I'm MCSA: Security?

I've taken courses at TrainingCamp.com and I've obtained my A+/Network+ Certifications for the first week. and by the 2nd Week achieved my Security+ and passed my 270, 290 and 291.

So ofcourse I was expecting to see A+, Net+, Sec+ and MCP and MCSA on my Transcript, but to my suprise..

MCSA: Security aswell..

what qaulified me for the Securty? the Sec+?

I thought it just went as an elective.., unless my A+/Net+ went against my elective, and Sec+ was the added bonus..

I'm in no means complaining.. just surpised.

Comments

• Options
    pennystraderpennystrader Member Posts: 155
    The Security+ is an elective for one of the security exams that Microsoft offers as an alternative. here is the requirements to be have a MCSA:Security.

MCSA: Security on Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements

I hope you have used a lab and learned all of these skills. It normally takes much longer to pass some of these exams unless you have had alot of IT experience.

Congratulations on your new status and keep studying and building a practice lab and testing everything you can to learn more cool techie stuff....

The more knowledge one obtains the more there is too accumulate.....

• Options
    mikeszmikesz Member Posts: 115
    just a quick question, have you used the FIREBRAND (I'm thinking about). Was it really intensive? Have You had any previous experience?

I'm really curious the answers icon_smile.gif
    please give me an idea if is worth it?

thanks
    Long term plan:
    2011: CCNA (70%), CCNA: Security, MCITP:Messaging
    2012: VCP, CEH, Linux+, start RHCA/E
    2013: finish RHCA/E, CCNP
  • Options
    Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    WOW!! That is quite impressive to take and pass 7 exams in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    KoolTrix wrote: »
    I've taken courses at TrainingCamp.com and I've obtained my A+/Network+ Certifications for the first week. and by the 2nd Week achieved my Security+ and passed my 270, 290 and 291.

So ofcourse I was expecting to see A+, Net+, Sec+ and MCP and MCSA on my Transcript, but to my suprise..

I thought it just went as an elective.., unless my A+/Net+ went against my elective, and Sec+ was the added bonus..

It's simple. The A+/Net+ combination got you MCSA, and the Security+ qualified you for MCSA: Security. Out of curiosity, what was your courses like and what kind of training material did they use?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    wait...according to that link from MS, you have to take two security exams to get the Security specialization. What gives?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    There's another thread like this somewhere. It seems like the A+/Net+ will count as a security elective or something. I don't think anyone's gotten an "official" answer yet though.

Edit: http://www.techexams.net/forums/mcsa-mcse-security/37271-did-reqs-mcsa-sec-change-did-microsoft-screw-up.html
  • Options
    TightwadTightwad Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□

Hey KoolTrix, I know this is not related to your post, but I do have a question for you.

I am planning on taking the C|EH and CISSP training with TrainingCamp.com, I have used Global Knowledge in the past, but I'm not sure if Training Camp is worth it, can you give me some input? When did you take the courses with Training Camp? What do you think about their instructors? Are they available like they claimed in their disclaimer? How do you rate their training material and overall satisfaction? I got my CCNA last year and CompTIA Security + (2008 Edition) earlier this month through self study as I have over 10 years experience as a Network Engineer, I'm just not sure self study will suffice especially with C|EH. Any input from you or anyone will be greatly appreciated. TIA.
  • Options
    KoolTrixKoolTrix Banned Posts: 130
    Sorry everyone, I forgot I posted this thread! icon_wink.gif

TrainingCamp was intense for me, because I didn't have an IT experience. However if you have the experience, and the desire to study hard and pass you shouldn't have any problems. They teach you what you need to know to pass the exams, and go over it intensely. You practically eat, sleep, dream computers icon_lol.gif

I was there for a total of 3 weeks.. 22 days straight.. because I did the A+/Network+ the week before my 2week course started.

From the two teacher's I had... they were very good. I met a couple other students during lunch who were doing the CISSP.. they said that its not easy, but its not hard.. they told me I could do it icon_silent.gif yeah right.. I think they were just being modest.. they said that since i had the "drive" to do it, I could definitely tackle something like the CISSP.. and I will.. just no time soon.

That being said.. You have to ask yourself the question.. do you feel like you can pass the exam on your own? I think it's alot easier when you're away.. and focusing ONLY on that course.. and taking the exams right there on site.. it's better than say being at home, trying to study, then going away to the test location to take the exam.. just my .02

TrainingCamp can be expensive.. so its up to you to decide whether its worth it or not. Talk to their reps for more information.

I would definately go back.. DEPENDING on the course, and my background knowledge of the course... and if I didnt think I could do it on my own.

that being said.. good luck everyone icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Seems pretty fast to get that many certs in 22 days. As far as teaching you what you need to pass the exams, that may not help as much in the workplace. I hope you had some labs to work with as well, hands-on beats book knowledge any day.
    For the MCSA: Security you need either Security+ OR net+ and A+, along with the 299.
  • Options
    #snoop#snoop Banned Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Sorry everyone, I forgot I posted this thread! icon_wink.gif

TrainingCamp was intense for me, because I didn't have an IT experience. However if you have the experience, and the desire to study hard and pass you shouldn't have any problems. They teach you what you need to know to pass the exams, and go over it intensely. You practically eat, sleep, dream computers icon_lol.gif

I was there for a total of 3 weeks.. 22 days straight.. because I did the A+/Network+ the week before my 2week course started.

From the two teacher's I had... they were very good. I met a couple other students during lunch who were doing the CISSP.. they said that its not easy, but its not hard.. they told me I could do it icon_silent.gif yeah right.. I think they were just being modest.. they said that since i had the "drive" to do it, I could definitely tackle something like the CISSP.. and I will.. just no time soon.

That being said.. You have to ask yourself the question.. do you feel like you can pass the exam on your own? I think it's alot easier when you're away.. and focusing ONLY on that course.. and taking the exams right there on site.. it's better than say being at home, trying to study, then going away to the test location to take the exam.. just my .02

TrainingCamp can be expensive.. so its up to you to decide whether its worth it or not. Talk to their reps for more information.

I would definately go back.. DEPENDING on the course, and my background knowledge of the course... and if I didnt think I could do it on my own.

that being said.. good luck everyone icon_thumright.gif

How much did you pay for the training alone?
  • Options
    #snoop#snoop Banned Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    #snoop wrote: »
    How much did you pay for the training alone?

I just checked on their website, 7 days A+ and Network+ is $2518 and Security + would be additional 3 days for $1837. Total of $4355 DAMN!!!crash.gif
    And its not possible to master all that stuff in a matter of 10 days. Its not just passing exams but actually knowing the stuff.

Wouldn't it be better to spend that money to build a home lab..?!!? Practice as much as possible for various exams. And getting as much possible hands-on experience... phew!!!
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Psoasman wrote: »
    Seems pretty fast to get that many certs in 22 days. As far as teaching you what you need to pass the exams, that may not help as much in the workplace. I hope you had some labs to work with as well, hands-on beats book knowledge any day.
    For the MCSA: Security you need either Security+ OR net+ and A+, along with the 299.

I have to agree with you
  • Options
    hill1221hill1221 Member Posts: 34 ■■□□□□□□□□
    icon_study.gif
    I took:
    A+
    Security+

Got message and transcript today. I am MCSA and MCSA: Securityicon_cheers.gif
    I make technology work for people, not people work for technology!
  • Options
    To get the MCSA: Security, you need to take the 299. You can use your security+ cert for the elective, but you're still one MS exam short.
    Here's a link to the MS requirements. http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcsa.aspx
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    To get the MCSA: Security, you need to take the 299. You can use your security+ cert for the elective, but you're still one MS exam short.
    Here's a link to the MS requirements. Microsoft Learning: Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA)
    Note how the site has changed some details...instead of saying that xyz CompTIA cert will satisfy requirements, they now say:
    Specific third-party (CompTIA) certifications
    ...with a link to CompTIA's website listing out the certs they offer, and that's it. And I can't find anywhere they specify what these specific certifications are! GAH! Seems like they're being deliberately unclear here so they've got some wiggle room. Kinda odd. I like how it used to be very very clear as to what the alternates were, and now it's a bit wishy washy.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    This is copied directly from MS MCSA Specializations page.

MCSA Security on Windows Server 2003
    To earn the MCSA Security on Windows Server 2003 certification, you must pass five exams (in any order):

Two exams on networking systems

One exam on client operating systems

Two exams on security specialization

Note Many exams in this certification track are retired. If a required exam is retired and you have not yet passed that exam, you cannot complete the certification track. You must fulfill all listed requirements to earn the certification. If you passed a required exam before it retired, it can be applied toward certification. The credential will not expire.

Then you need 2 exams on security. You may choose from
    CompTIA Security+

I did 270,290,291, 299, and security+

Hope that helps
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey I have a question but to say get your MCSE (general) 7 exams. You can have this right?

Sec+

this will give you an MCSE right? or do you have to have more?
    thanksicon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    I believe so. You have your client exam 270, 4 core exams 260,291,293,294, and the design exam 298. I would take the 299 and get the security specialization for the MCSE. Its a challenging course, but with security+ and 293 done, its not bad.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, that's correct.
  • Options
    itdaddyitdaddy Member Posts: 2,089 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hey thanks a lot. One at a time :)
    Thank God I will be done with my BSCS soon. Getting tired of college..though I do like the classes..I will finally have time to hammer my MCSE out...I am building a freaking huge home lab..HUGE!! going to post it some day on my blog. But looking to make a 4 site home lab with VOIP and clustered servers going to be crazeeeeee.....

but thanks for the verifiation, I appreciate your help!:D
  • Options
    qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This is copied directly from MS MCSA Specializations page.

MCSA Security on Windows Server 2003
    To earn the MCSA Security on Windows Server 2003 certification, you must pass five exams (in any order):

Two exams on networking systems

One exam on client operating systems

Two exams on security specialization

Note Many exams in this certification track are retired. If a required exam is retired and you have not yet passed that exam, you cannot complete the certification track. You must fulfill all listed requirements to earn the certification. If you passed a required exam before it retired, it can be applied toward certification. The credential will not expire.

Then you need 2 exams on security. You may choose from
    CompTIA Security+

I did 270,290,291, 299, and security+

Hope that helps

Wow im glad i got my MCSA: Security a few months back with my A+, Network+,security+, 70-270, 70-290 and 70-291