Options

Terminal Services configuration hierarchy

TheDongerTheDonger Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
For terminal service settings, does anybody know the over-ride hierarchy? I know certain settings in certain places override each other, but I can't keep them straight and I'm having a hard time understanding this section from my MS book... it's written by two athors and I think you can see where it jumps around a bit if you've read it.

Ideas?

Comments

• Options
    jayITjayIT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Basically, the TS Configuration tool on the server can be used to override any TS option placed on an individual user in Active Directory.

For example, if you have a user in AD and go to their Properties > Sessions tab, and set "End a Disconnected Session" to never, but on the server TS Config you check the box "Override User Settings" and set End Disconnected Session to 5 min, the result is the 5 min setting for any user AS LONG AS THE USER CONNECTS TO THAT SERVER FOR TS.

Now I can't remember if a user's GPO can be used to override the TS server setting, but I don't think it can.
  • Options
    TheDongerTheDonger Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    jayIT wrote: »
    Now I can't remember if a user's GPO can be used to override the TS server setting, but I don't think it can.

Nope, nothing overrides those damn connection settings. In order of processing:
    User's preferences (in RDP client)

then

Applicable GPO's (normal processing order of GPOs - be aware Loopback is common here)

finally

Connection settings on Terminal Server
    It's my policy/preference to never touch the connection settings (my Citrix build script even resets them to default just in case) and instead do everything through GPOs - I would recommend you do the same. ;)