Cca?

Graham_84Graham_84 Member Posts: 85 ■■□□□□□□□□
Looking at starting a citrix path? what are the best methods. Is it pricey? Do you have to take instructor led courses or just read books! Never really branched much further than microsoft to be honest. What Cumulative qualifications are they, like MCP upto MCSE, what does CCA go to etc?
Currently having a break after the MCITP:EA. Citrix or Cisco next, not sure!

Comments

• stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    Graham_84 wrote: »
    Looking at starting a citrix path? what are the best methods. Is it pricey? Do you have to take instructor led courses or just read books! Never really branched much further than microsoft to be honest. What Cumulative qualifications are they, like MCP upto MCSE, what does CCA go to etc?

1.) Welcome to the world of Citrix :)

2.) Which CCA are you looking at taking (http://www.citrixtraining.com/content/index.cfm/content_id:49)? I will assume that are you are referring to the CCA for XenApp 5 (the new name for Presentation Server)

3.) There is not a requirement to take any instructor led course(s) (like VMWare). However, depending on your experience with the Citrix products it maybe your best option.

4.) In terms of study material for the CCA for XenApp 5 you could use the administrators guide, downloadable from Citrix. However, the official Citrix courseware (which you can only obtain from a Citrix Authorised Learning Centre, by taking a course, in the UK) is a much easier read and offers the vast majority of the information with hands on labs. I know that in the US you can order them from CALC's without having to take a course.

5.) The path of CCA leads on to CCAA then CCEE (which I believe is replacing the current CCEA in the near future) then finally the CCIA. This page shows more http://www.citrixtraining.com/courses/certifications/index.cfm as Citrix are changing the certification tracks at the moment.

I hope this helps, if not please let me know.
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I recently started at a new job and they environment is pure Citrix. I would like to obtain my CCA cert to better be of use in the IT dept so I was thinking of tackting this cert. They currently run 4.5 but will be upgrading to 5 soon. In this case should I skip to only learning XenApp 5 or obtain the old PS 4.5? Thanks
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
  • astorrsastorrs Member Posts: 3,139 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I was actually thinking the same thing. I recently started at a new job and they environment is pure Citrix. I would like to obtain my CCA cert to better be of use in the IT dept so I was thinking of tackting this cert. They currently run 4.5 but will be upgrading to 5 soon. In this case should I skip to only learning XenApp 5 or obtain the old PS 4.5? Thanks
    XenApp 5 for Windows 2003 is exactly the same as XenApp 4.5. In fact they just renamed the old Presentation Server 4.5 Admin exam so it was for XenApp 5 on Windows 2003 but kept the exam number the same and everything. ;)

XenApp 5 for Windows 2008 has a lot of new features. Do you know which one you will be deploying?
    astorrs wrote: »
    XenApp 5 for Windows 2003 is exactly the same as XenApp 4.5.

That's not quite right! They did update the version number from 4.5 to 5.0 icon_lol.gif
    stupidboy wrote: »
    That's not quite right! They did update the version number from 4.5 to 5.0 icon_lol.gif
    I bowing.gif to your wisdom
    astorrs wrote: »
    i bowing.gif To your wisdom

:-p lol
  • WillTech105WillTech105 Member Posts: 216
    Not sure, but I hear that taking the 1Y0-259 exam should be good enough for both 4.5 and 5.0 since they are both basically the same thing. Ahhh why must they make it so complicate...I'm used to MS exams.
    In Progress: CCNP ROUTE
    Not sure, but I hear that taking the 1Y0-259 exam should be good enough for both 4.5 and 5.0 since they are both basically the same thing. Ahhh why must they make it so complicate...I'm used to MS exams.
    1Y0-259 is the exam that used to be used for 4.5, there have been no significant changes to the exam when they renamed it to XenApp 5 for Windows Server 2003.

There is also an exam for XA5 on Windows Server 2008 which covers entirely different objectives.