Options

batch file help

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have a strange request from higher ups. Then want to be able to call up an excel spreadsheet from inside of a another program. Anyone give me a quick example of a batch file that can start Excel and launch the specific spreadsheet?

I know its easier to just click on Excel then load the spreadsheet, but their specification says it has to run from inside of the other program when clicking on the menu.

Comments

• Options
    dalesdales Member Posts: 225
    Bokeh wrote: »
    I have a strange request from higher ups. Then want to be able to call up an excel spreadsheet from inside of a another program. Anyone give me a quick example of a batch file that can start Excel and launch the specific spreadsheet?

I know its easier to just click on Excel then load the spreadsheet, but their specification says it has to run from inside of the other program when clicking on the menu.

When you say from within another program are there any specific programs your thinking of. probably the easiest way of doing it would be calling the spreadsheet which would then launch the associated program to view it.
    Kind Regards
    Dale Scriven

Twitter:dscriven
    Blog: vhorizon.co.uk
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Its from within Goldmine. Ive tried just adding the spreadsheet to the toolbar, but it just errors out. Seems it only likes application files to load.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Providing the full path and name of the Excel file you want to load as the first argument to the Excel binary will do what you want.

"c:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" C:\MyExcelFile.xls