How many of you turn of the computers?

impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
How many of you turn the computers of for the weekend in your office?

Normally I set the updates using WSUS at 5:00 a.m., so I am planning to do to another time and turn the computer off everyday so we can save energy.

What do you think?
Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

Comments

• jryantechjryantech Member Posts: 623
    Yeah we keep them on for updates.

I would love to know the amount of energy saved in a month by turning them off a night and during the weekends.
    "It's Microsoft versus mankind with Microsoft having only a slight lead."
    -Larry Ellison, CEO, Oracle

Studying: SCJA
  • NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    We have a lot of users who use gotomypc, so we just keep our computers on all the time.

I'd also be interested in any stats regarding how much energy could be saved.
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)
  • impelseimpelse Member Posts: 1,237 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Stop RDP Brute Force Attack with our RDP Firewall : http://www.thehost1.com
    It is your personal IPS to stop the attack.

• seuss_ssuesseuss_ssues Member Posts: 629
    If you cannot simply turn them off then atleast tweak your power settings to turn off the screen, HD, etc Or have them go to sleep.
  • vsmith3rdvsmith3rd Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We have too many people that VPN/RDP to desktops, so no policy was set. Also, our frequent updates are done overnight, so it wouldn't work.
    Certified Lunatic.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    In theory, our policy is that the users should sign off and leave the PC on at the end of the day. In practise, the users usually stay logged in. This is annoying when we push out an update or we need to reboot/shutdown their PC. They usually come running in the next day complaining that we made them lose all of their work because stupidly, we didn't know that they hadn't saved in hours/days/weeks...

For IT staff however, we just leave them logged in with a locked screen. Only time we ever really shutdown one of the workstations is when somebody goes on holiday.
  • BeaverC32BeaverC32 Member Posts: 670 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I use my laptop as my primary work environment, so I guess you could say I turn it off every night :)
    MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003, LPIC-1, MCP, MCTS: Vista Config, MCTS: SQL Server 2005, CCNA, A+, Network+, Server+, Security+, Linux+, BSCS (Information Systems)
  • nielpeelnielpeel Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    We turn them off to a schedule now, using proprietary software called RM Local Support Tools (school network) - works really well and we also turn all the computers on in the morning to a schedule, schedule package allocations etc.

It's spooky to stand there and watch a whole suite of 32 computers turn on and boot up by themselves in the morning (well, maybe only if you have the lights turned off and aren't expecting it)!

For example, every Friday PM after teachers/students have gone we allocate new software packages/updates to the network - on Monday morning they automatically install when the workstations turn on at 7.30, and the whole process is done and dusted by the time the staff sit down at their desk ready to work at 8.30.

Before that I used to run round turning on/off 200 workstations twice a day, so it saves me about an hour a day = more coffee time!
    "It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice".

WIP: 70-284

Then: no more 2003 stuff, Win7 here we come!
  • BradleyHUBradleyHU Member Posts: 918 ■■■■□□□□□□
    i havent turned off my pc in ages...i have it set to go to sleep after like 30 minutes of inactivity tho...
    Link Me
    Graduate of the REAL HU & #1 HBCU...HAMPTON UNIVERSITY!!! #shoutout to c/o 2004
    WIP: 70-410(TBD) | ITIL v3 Foundation(TBD)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    We have weekly restarts (saturday), but other then that, they're always on.
  • rfult001rfult001 Member Posts: 407
    Updates? What are those? ;)

We have this whole Go Green initiative at the university now so we try to shut the office computers down at night and on the weekends. By doing this university wide, and rearranging schedules so we can close whole academic buildings on the weekend and over summer break, we have saved 1.5 million theoretical dollars. icon_rolleyes.gif