FXO hook-flash...maybe?

pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
In CME, is there any way to forward an incoming call to an external number without tying up 2 lines for the duration of the call? The lines are all analog Centrex lines, and the PBX guys (who poo-poo everything Cisco by the way!) said that this was easy to accomplish on a PBX using hook flash. I’ve looked up FXO hook-flash command but I’m not sure if this is what I’m looking for. Basically all calls come into a receptionist and from there they are transferred to the appropriate extensions. In the event of a noan, the incoming call is automatically forwarded out to a cell phone thus tying up 2 lines while the call is in progress. Any thoughts?
CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT

Comments

• hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    According to your scenario, the answer is no. Once an inbound call reaches the PBX/CME, and needs to be re-directed to the PSTN, you need to tie up 2 lines.
    The only way around this is to move the call control cfna, cfb, etc. to the service providers central office.
    I think the PBX guys are wrong, but I would need to know the details. Every instance I've come alone with this scenario, in the PBX world, 2 lines are always tied up as well.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    It’s my understanding that the Centrex lines are switched @ the CO – If that’s the case since the incoming and outgoing lines are going back though them shouldn’t there be some way of sending a signal to tie the lines @ the CO? I have to dial a 9 on these lines right @ the DMARC to dial out, so it almost feels like the CO is acting as a PBX.
    Check this out - It's from an Avaya manual but it sounds like the same thing that I'm trying to accomplish:

Centrex Transfer

Centrex Transfer is a feature provided by some line providers on external analog lines. It allows the recipient of a calls on such a line to transferred that call to another external number. The transfer is then performed by the line provider and the line is freed. Without Centrex Transfer, transferring an external call to another external number would occupy both a incoming and outgoing line for the duration of the call.

IP Office 4.0 and higher supports Centrex Transfer using the existing Flash Hook features.

The following are the supported controls and usages for Centrex Transfer on IP Office:

• Centrex Transfer Button Operation
    The action Flash Hook (Advanced | Miscellaneous | Flash Hook) can be assigned to programmable buttons on DS and IP phones. This button can be configured with or without a telephone number for an automatic or manual transfer respectively.

• Manual Transfer
    If the programmable button is setup as a Flash Hook button without a target telephone number, pressing the button returns dial tone to the user. They can then dial the required transfer number and when they hear ringing or an answer, hang up to complete the Centrex Transfer.

• Automatic Transfer
    If the programmable button is setup as a Flash Hook button with a target telephone number, pressing the button performs the Centrex Transfer to the numbers as a single action.

• Centrex Transfer Short Code Operation
    The short code feature Flash Hook can be used with IP Office short codes. It can be setup with or without a telephone number in the same way as a Flash Hook programmable button detailed above. The line group must be the group of analog lines from the Centrex service line provider.

• Centrex Transfer Operation for Analog Extensions
    Most analog phones have a button that performs the action of sending a hook flash signal. The marking of the button will vary and for example may be any of R, H, Recall or Hold. For IP Office analog extensions, pressing this button sends a hook flash to the IP Office to hold any current call and return dial tone.

• To perform a Centrex Transfer, pressing the analog extension's hook flash button should be followed by the dialing of a Flash Hook short code.

• For analog extension users with Call Waiting enabled, pressing the hook flash button during a call will hold the current call and connect any call waiting. Therefore it is recommend that analog extension users wanting to use Centrex Transfer should not also have Call Waiting enabled.

• Transfer from Voicemail/Auto-Attendant
    This operation is only supported through Voicemail Pro using an Assisted Transfer action with the destination set to a Flash Hook short code.

Additional Notes

• Addition Prefix Dialing
    In some cases the Centrex service provider may require a prefix for the transfer number. If that is the case, that prefix must be inserted in the button programming or the short code used for the Centrex Transfer.

• Phone Manager and SoftConsole
    Centrex Transfer is not supported for calls being held and transferred through IP Office applications such as Phone Manager and SoftConsole.

• Conference Calls
    Centrex Transfer is not supported with conference calls.
    Could it be as easy a pre-pending a feature code to the outging number?
  • hedhrtshedhrts Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Yup, you're on the right track. You will need to find out what the providers dtmf codes (keypad) are for the various features and that those features are part of the service being provided.

Sequence would probably be.

1. hook-flash
    2. dial feature access code
    3. dial number to send call to.

After completed, this method would not tie up any copper lines to the customer.
    OK, I got this to work…kinda. By using the “FXO hook-flash” command under telephony-services, the “FLASH” soft key now appears on the phones. When on an active call, I can now press “FLASH”, 9, and the number to forward to and the lines are switch at the CO freeing up the ports @ the office. Almost there…

Now, is there any way to automate a hook-flash within the call-forward command (in each ephone-dn), or through a dial-peer (don't see this anywhere)? I would assume that the flash is nothing more than quickly hanging the phone up and then returning it to the off hook state – Not sure if there is a way to accomplish this without physically pressing the flash button?