T1 cabling

Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
If I'm wanting to use implement a substitute PBX for practice, can I connect one voice router to another voice router via their T1 ports, or do they connect solely to each other through their serial ports?

Comments

• pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Yes, you can connect a T1 back to back w/a T1 crossover cable and the proper clocking.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • mrblackmamba343mrblackmamba343 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 136
    Use a T1 crossover and set the clock source to internal
  • Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Ok, this sux. I begged a T1 cable from work, which they grudgingly gave, in order to do some lab work, but I found out it's a T1 straight-through - not a crossover. I need the crossover to connect my two routers for voice work. I don't think I can get another cable from there, and I don't have the tools to make my own. Sure, I can go out and get the cabling supplies, but since I've not made my own, I have to assault the learning curve for that to get it done. Meanwhile, my lab work sits idle and I'm getting nothing done. I don't think there's a place in town where I can just go to buy the assembled cables (like worthless Best Buy - "Huh? A T1-what? What's that?") Otherwise, I'd just go out and buy one for now just so I could get something done.

So much for doing lab work this week. icon_mad.gif
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    All you need is some RJ45 connectors, some Cat5, and a RJ45 crimping tool. Making cables isn't as hard as you might think. Plus it's a good skill to have, and usually expected of those that work in IT.
  • pitviperpitviper Member Posts: 1,376 ■■■■■■■□□□
    For an easier and cheaper route - Go to your local Radio Shack (assuming that you're in the US) and pick up some "tooless" RJ-45 jacks. From there just cut a section out of a regular patch cable and cross the wires between 2 jacks. Then just plug a standard patch cable in on each side.
    CCNP:Collaboration, CCNP:R&S, CCNA:S, CCNA:V, CCNA, CCENT
  • CherperCherper Member Posts: 140 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Easy enough to do. Here is the basic pin out.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
    4 5 3 1 2 6 7 8

Just cross your white-orange/orange with your blue/white-blue.
    Studying and Reading:

Whatever strikes my fancy...
  • Computer idiotComputer idiot Member Posts: 46 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To connect two routers together, you can use a serial cable, I know. Just set one router to DCE and the other to DTE. You can also connect two routers together using a T1 cable. Now, if I'm using two voice routers, and I want to connect an analog phone to Router1 and a VoIP phone to Router2, and this is in my home lab environmnet, when should I choose one cable over the other? Can I use either?
  • mgeorgemgeorge Member Posts: 774 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • CrunchyhippoCrunchyhippo Member Posts: 389
    mgeorge wrote: »

Check Cisco's website. They have tons of stuff that might help you with this.
    "Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, 1949