Windows Password

kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
I know this is going to sound bad but I am doing this under my bosses permission. Is there a way to find out someones windows password? We hired a new guy at work for the I.T. department and he seems to be kinda shady. We set up an account for him on the DC but he is logging in locally under the administrator account. Unfortunately my boss likes to let the new i.t. people build there own computer and install os to see if they can actually do it which means he set the pass for the admin account. Is there something free out there that can read the sam or do you know of a way to find out what it is. I can log into my account on the computer and have full admin rights but I need to be able to get into his account on the local machine. Thanks.

Comments

• Unamerican IdolUnamerican Idol Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    what's the point of logging into his account if you have admin access on the comp. you already have access to all his documents&settings stuff.

anyways, if you insist on doing it, try ophcrack http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
    download the appropriate table for the OS pass you're cracking. i just tested this right now in vmware and it cracked an alphanumeric password of length 10 in 45seconds.

to protect against password crackers like this, it's best to use special characters in your password. eg. ALT+0169 is the © symbol. if you have this in your pass, it won't be able to crack it even if the entire length of your pass is that single special character.
  • bulletproof bababulletproof baba Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I know this is going to sound bad but I am doing this under my bosses permission. Is there a way to find out someones windows password? We hired a new guy at work for the I.T. department and he seems to be kinda shady. We set up an account for him on the DC but he is logging in locally under the administrator account. Unfortunately my boss likes to let the new i.t. people build there own computer and install os to see if they can actually do it which means he set the pass for the admin account. Is there something free out there that can read the sam or do you know of a way to find out what it is. I can log into my account on the computer and have full admin rights but I need to be able to get into his account on the local machine. Thanks.
    It is strange that your boss has asked YOU to do it and not himself. Normally when people are being watched, their accounts are suspended from the DC and their passwords changed. As unamerican idol pointed out, you can simply log onto his machine as a administrator and you will have complete access to his machine as well. It does not make sense why you would have to log in as him and not yourself ? seems a bit shady here LOL !
  • kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    There is nothing shady here at all. My boss doesnt want him to know we are monitoring him and I have already logged him out and the computer is showing me as the last person to log in. I want to be able to log in as the local admin to appear as if nothing happend other then a a restart of the machine looking like the computer just did windows updates.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    to protect against password crackers like this, it's best to use special characters in your password. eg. ALT+0169 is the © symbol. if you have this in your pass, it won't be able to crack it even if the entire length of your pass is that single special character.
    I wouldn't rely on putting an unusual character into a password to protect against password cracker utilities. Rainbow tables are getting more complete as time goes by.
  • aquageekaquageek Member Posts: 152
    There is nothing shady here at all. My boss doesnt want him to know we are monitoring him and I have already logged him out and the computer is showing me as the last person to log in. I want to be able to log in as the local admin to appear as if nothing happend other then a a restart of the machine looking like the computer just did windows updates.

Link GPO "Do not display last user name in logon screen" to the local computer?

If he questions it: "New company policy". Heh.
    You are the systems administrator for a large enterprise that has decided to place computers in the lobby for access to public company information. On Tuesday morning Rooslan storms into your office screaming, "what the hell is this? In the last question I was the systems administrator. Now I am only a "Backup Operator"? This **** is crazy!"
  • excalibur1814excalibur1814 Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Activity Monitor - Employee Monitoring Software | Network PC Monitoring Software

The above won't get you what you want but it will provide information of what's going on when he's using the machine. You can the client side from the pc that has the main software but be aware that the virus app might throw a fit when you try so it's best to 'exclude' the software, either by visiting the pc or via policy from the central virus app.

I've had to use the above software twice and it does work. Ashamed to say that some people cannot be trusted and it's one of the more 'horrible' jobs that I've had to do over my career.
    Mooooo
    Ya I installed spector 360 and a silent install of vnc to monitor. We use spector 360 for the entire company. I am just going tell him that I had to do updates to the computers.
  • darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    If you think the person's smart enough to look through event viewer to see logins, why not carry that train of thought to other areas? Be prepared to explain what you're doing and I'd get a written request from the boss before doing it.
  • tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    Shouldn't somebody with domain administrator rights be able to look at everything anyway on his PC without logging in locally?
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Don't you or your boss have domain admin rights? If so you can either look at his computer from your computer (easiest way) or just log on as a domain admin which will show everything too.

As for him making his own local admin password, sounds kinda weird for your business to let people do that. Usually companies have a policy to keep all local admin PWs the same on every computer, at least that is what I have seen.

On a side note if he doesn't like it let him quit lol. It's a work computer and if he doesn't like IT people logging into his computer it's his problem. As for getting his password there are plenty out there to sweep the domain and get all client passwords. Most you have to pay for though I think, unless it's a hacker version lol.
    Its been taken care of. I know that I can view his computers admin$ and C$ but thats not what I wanted to accomplish. I was installing a silent vnc viewer and spector 360 but did it under my log in and wanted to be able to log back in as the local admin to look as if nothing had happend other then a restart of the computer from some updates or something. Oh well I just told him that I had to roll out updates on computers and his was one of them.
  • loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
    Its been taken care of. I know that I can view his computers admin$ and C$ but thats not what I wanted to accomplish. I was installing a silent vnc viewer and spector 360 but did it under my log in and wanted to be able to log back in as the local admin to look as if nothing had happend other then a restart of the computer from some updates or something. Oh well I just told him that I had to roll out updates on computers and his was one of them.

So did you find anything naughty on his computer? :)
  • ally_ukally_uk Member Posts: 1,145 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Ultimate boot cd or some linux distributions contain tools for recreating windows passwords
    Microsoft's strategy to conquer the I.T industry

" Embrace, evolve, extinguish "
  • Knives OutKnives Out Member Posts: 91 ■■□□□□□□□□
    loxleynew wrote: »
    So did you find anything naughty on his computer? :)

LOL

Especially after he got us all worked up about it!