Options

Great Security Book

PStefanovPStefanov Member Posts: 79 ■■□□□□□□□□
I just wanted to share the name of what I believe is a great book for IPSec:

Cisco Press 2006 - IPSec Virtual Private Network Fundamentals

I first started reading Cisco Press 2005 - IPSec VPN Design, but had a lot of confusion about some of the stuff and then switched to the aforementioned book.

Very few are the books that are easily readable and you don't need to go back and reread again. This book is one of them. Very good engineers are probably the authors of most books, but not all of them are as good as writers.

I was having a discussion with my brother, and we agreed that like 50% of the book's value is its ability to be read easily without much need to reference external materials or go over the same things again and again until you get what the author wanted to say. What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    TurgonTurgon Banned Posts: 6,308 ■■■■■■■■■□
    PStefanov wrote: »
    I just wanted to share the name of what I believe is a great book for IPSec:

Cisco Press 2006 - IPSec Virtual Private Network Fundamentals

I first started reading Cisco Press 2005 - IPSec VPN Design, but had a lot of confusion about some of the stuff and then switched to the aforementioned book.

Very few are the books that are easily readable and you don't need to go back and reread again. This book is one of them. Very good engineers are probably the authors of most books, but not all of them are as good as writers.

I was having a discussion with my brother, and we agreed that like 50% of the book's value is its ability to be read easily without much need to reference external materials or go over the same things again and again until you get what the author wanted to say. What do you think?

I would agree with that. While some contributors to published works in the genre are clearly technically excellent, not all are gifted in the skill of writing. Conveying complicated things in a simple way is an art. Not that technical excellence and brilliant authorship are mutually exclusive, but not many writers can claim to be masters of both disciplines.
  • Options
    AhriakinAhriakin Member Posts: 1,799 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I figure I'll post another recommendation here, maybe this can be an ongoing thread?

"Router Security Strategies" - I'm about halfway through it now. Excellent source on Control Plane Policing (and that is the main thrust of the book, protecting the Router itself). Very well written and much more depth on the subject than I've seen anywhere else.
    We responded to the Year 2000 issue with "Y2K" solutions...isn't this the kind of thinking that got us into trouble in the first place?