Network+ to CCNA

chemasterchemaster Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed the A+ exam a month ago and the Network+ today with 846. Does the material of Network+ overlap with CCNA and if so how much?

I have no experience with Cisco but have a budget of $400 to purchase a kit. Does anyone have a CCNA kit that they would recommend?

Do you recommend a simulator and if so which one?

Thanks,

Comments

• WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    I passed the A+ exam a month ago and the Network+ today with 846. Does the material of Network+ overlap with CCNA and if so how much?
    About 15-20%, but that overlapping material is covered in more detail for CCNA. Network+ is a good introduction for CCNA, but there's much more to the CCNA exam that just basic networking.
    I have no experience with Cisco but have a budget of $400 to purchase a kit. Does anyone have a CCNA kit that they would recommend?
    I recommend two used 25xx (i.e. 2501 for $100 maximum each) routers and a good book (i.e. Sybex CCNA guide by Todd Lammle).
    Do you recommend a simulator and if so which one?
    If you don't want to buy real routers you should use a sim. www.routersim.com provides a good one, but there are more such as the one at www.boson.com
  • chemasterchemaster Member Posts: 22 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Webmaster ... thank you very much!

Chemaster
  • WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    Your welcome. I just read your other post...
    I'm in a management compacity and wish to be technically informed so that I can have an understanding of the basic concepts involved. A certification isn't actually needed but it entices me to study.
    in that case you might want to reconsider the CCNA, and perhaps have a look at the CCDA certification, because a huge portion of the CCNA exam is not about basic concepts, but rather about configuring routers and switches, as in typing commands (hence the importance of a simulator or actual routers).

Just in case:
    www.cisco.com/go/ccna
    www.cisco.com/go/ccda

Good luck whichever you choose!