IT Processes

billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
I am trying to get my head around IT Processes, our MD is making asking everyone to process map what they do, and as there is only two of us in a small firm supporting the IT Infrastructure with no helpdesk software etc, i am finding it difficult to come up with any ideas. The MD also dose`nt want anyone just mapping a process for the sake of it, i,e. mapping how the backup procedure works or mapping the steps in order to build a machine. Can anyone help me please?

Comments

• hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    billybob01 wrote: »
    I am trying to get my head around IT Processes, our MD is making asking everyone to process map what they do, and as there is only two of us in a small firm supporting the IT Infrastructure with no helpdesk software etc, i am finding it difficult to come up with any ideas. The MD also dose`nt want anyone just mapping a process for the sake of it, i,e. mapping how the backup procedure works or mapping the steps in order to build a machine. Can anyone help me please?

Kind of off topic, but if you're in need of free, mature, and feature-rich helpdesk/ticket/inventory software, try spiceworks at Spiceworks - Free Network Monitoring Software for Network Management.

I would make a template of what you do and start filling in. Run one by your MD to see if it is what they are interested in. You might be able to find some kind of templates out there on google -- i bet you can find somebody else's documentation and copy the general format.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'd just start documenting things you do and create these process maps as you perform them. You'll probably overlook steps/details if you just try to create them from memory. Wikis are great for things like this because they're easy to revise. Check out MediaWiki (what Wikipedia uses) or Sharepoint/Sharepoint Services if you have that implemented.

And +1 for Spiceworks
  • Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Take a lot at Microsoft's MOF. Map you top level documentation for that. Once you have that you can get more specific. Go by technology. A flow chart on exchange, ad etc.

Softskills in IT. Rough stuff. Best of luck, let us know what you come up with!
    -Daniel
  • billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Thanks guys, i am already using Spiceworks, but what i dont want to happen is start mapping processes just for the sake of it, what i mean by that is that i dont want to start mapping work procedures as this is not what is required, hence my confusion.