BSCI first try: failed

ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
at least, I know my weak areas: IPv4 to IPv6 migration schemes, multicasting (router config interpretation), OSPF special areas (NSSA,..), LSAs propagation boundaries, BGP authentication,..
however I'm quite satisfied with the exam content. It covered almost every topic they mentioned on the website.
I need to get back to study. planning to retake it very soon.

Comments

• mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you're not letting it bother you -- which is good! :D

Get back to the books icon_study.gif and hit those weak areas!

Good Luck on your next attempt icon_thumright.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Welcome to the club, make sure to not follow in my footsteps.... icon_redface.gifI failed twice, before passing the third time.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Sounds like you're not letting it bother you -- which is good! :D

Get back to the books icon_study.gif and hit those weak areas!

Good Luck on your next attempt icon_thumright.gif

I prepared myself mentally. So if I don't pass it on the first try, I'm not the only one. It's a one-usage excuse. It can't be used twice :)
  • Mrock4Mrock4 Banned Posts: 2,359 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You got it, you know what to expect now, so you'll kill it next time.
  • suffahsuffah Member Posts: 89 ■■□□□□□□□□
    At least you know what to work on now! I hear they are really pushing IPv6 on the exam.

Also, not sure if this is allowed to be asked, but I don't see RIP anywhere on the blueprint. I can just skip it right?
    definitely. IPv6, multicasting and OSPFv6 are stressed on the exam. I can see it's Cisco's new trend.
    I don't know about RIP, but if you get a question about it, you can't comment and say: "sorry, I won't answer this question. It doesn't appear on the blueprint" :)
  • netteasernetteaser Member Posts: 198
    what materials did you use to study?
  • aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    You'll get the next one.
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I failed BSCI my first try too, but I studied up on my week areas and passed it the second try no problem. I'm sure you'll get it next time if you study your weak areas.

Good luck!
  • redwarriorredwarrior Member Posts: 285
    I had my second fail on a cert exam last week, both have been Cisco exams. Luckily, both had free retake offers. :)

I think I learn a whole lot more from the exam(s) I haven't passed on the first try. For one, everyone needs a kick in the pants once in a while to keep them from becoming an egomaniac. For another, it shakes me out of complacency and makes me try harder, working harder on the exam material because I'm determined not to have to go for a third try. I can honestly say I remember more from my ONT studies last summer because I failed the first try than I do my ISCW studies because I passed on the first try.

You'll get that stinker next time and be better at routing for it! :D

CCNP Progress

ONT, ISCW, BCMSN - DONE

BSCI - In Progress

http://www.redwarriornet.com/ <--My Cisco Blog
  • floppydiskfloppydisk Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    second time's the charm..good luck..!!!
  • keconnect sparkykeconnect sparky Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,

Age old question here but here it goes,

I got myCCNA a month or so ago and iv been hitting the books and labs hard . .....its slowly sinking it how tough this exam is compared to the CCNA track

Just curious how long it took you guys to pass this bad boy (i know it depends on experience, how long you studying etc) but just an aprox - im curious ..it seems rather intensive and demanding - the scope of everything little detail you need - i mean im game for it - i think its just a mental thing, whats your views?

by the way, for those of you who have passed this - well done :0)
    how tough this exam is compared to the CCNA track
    2-1/2 to 3 times harder
  • keconnect sparkykeconnect sparky Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    mikej412 wrote: »
    2-1/2 to 3 times harder

Feels it!
    On another note i checked the post when i got home and found "CCNP - building Scalable Internetworks BSCI 642-901) Lab Portfolio" book i ordered has turned up, gotta admit this is exactly what i needed for re-assurance on the practical side of things and to get my home lab up and running with all the advanced techniques/attributes required for the exam and my future cisco needs.

So anyone out there having doubts, add this mother to your collection:
    CCNP Building Scalable Internetworks (BSCI 642-901) Lab Portfolio (Cisco Networking Academy) (Cisco Networking Academy Program): David Kotfila, Joshua Moorhouse, Ross Wolfson: Amazon.co.uk: Books
    I felt sooo good :) score is 822. passing score was 790. It came after four days of reviewing IPv6, Route maps, BGP,...
    In the beginning of the test I was taking enough time to read and answer the questions. However I lost much time in my first lab simulation. The scenarion wasn't clear to me. And each time I had to click on the console button to reach a router. And I was not seeing changes in the routing table so it confused me a lot.
    I began to worry about my score.
    And I got my second lab simulation. And immediately after, the third. I told to myself: "man, what did I do to Cisco to treat me this way?"
    So I had almost 38 minutes to do the third lab sim and 32 questions !
    Besides, the test supervisor was tearing papers on her desk. And the other guy in the room was complaining about the bug in his exam. I was going to scream.
    At the end, I was almost flipping through the questions.
    I finished the test. The test supervisor told me "congratulations!".

EIGRP 77%
    OSPF 90%
    ISIS 85%
    IOS routing features 70%
    BGP 72%
    Multicasting 75%
    IPv6 50%

study material:
    -Cisco Press Exam Guide
    -Cisco Student Guide
    -Cisco Press Lab Portfolio
    -Cisco Press BSCI Command Reference
    -Chris Bryant BSCI study guide
    - lots and lots and lots of GNS3 labs
    -CBT Nuggets and some TrainSignal

and even after all this preparation, I feel I still don't master all the topics.
  • Silver BulletSilver Bullet Member Posts: 676 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Well done!

Congrats!
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats!

As for not feeling like you've mastered the topics, you can always study some more. I'm still not particularly strong on BGP and multicasting, but once I finish up QoS I'm going to read TCP/IP Routing Vol II and Internet Routing Architectures to fill in the gaps.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on your pass :) time to celebrate...
  • CChNCChN Member Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations
    RFCs: the other, other, white meat.
    Congratulations! icon_thumright.gif

Sounds like you have 2 excuses (Passing and the test experience!) to drink!! drunken_smilie.gif
    thank you guys.
    yep, I'm going to forget about certs this weekend. I'll continue the journey next week, with BCMSN.
    cheers.
  • aragoen_celtdraaragoen_celtdra Member Posts: 246
    Congrats! Way to go! ;)
    CCIE Wr: In Progress...
    Hours CCIE Wr Prep: 309:03:52
    Follow my study progress at Route My World!
    My CCIE Thread
  • BADfish10BADfish10 Member Posts: 88 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□