Options

I didn't know this was even possible

dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
server.gif

That machine has been a reliable gateway for a company for years. They can't even remember it being down ever. They also didn't know the password for it. I used an Acronis boot CD to image the drive and run the SAM database through ophcrack to get it (it was a variation of their address). I tried to change the password, but I got a registry error because there was no free disk space. It was hard to choose what to sacrifice, but in the end, media player got sent to a better place. This was one of the funnier/more amazing things I've come across and just thought I'd pass it along :D

Comments

• Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,564 Mod
    and they don't remember it was ever down ?

Interesting :D
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    ilcram19-2ilcram19-2 Banned Posts: 436
    really try an old compaq presario with windows xp acting as a gateway, now for router i dont think they will be a problem some of the cisco routers have a pentium or pentium II cpus with 128 or 256 of ram the they perform pretty good i know windows 2003 had better routing capabilities than windows xp and that you can also configure rip and ospf
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    That's pretty cool. icon_lol.gif

I once saw something like that, and I had to confirm it with my co-workers before I believed it: a laptop running a Pentium MMX CPU, (in the neighborhood of 166MHz,) 64MB of ECC RAM, and Windows XP SP2. I used to have a picture, but unfortunately it was lost when an old external hard drive died.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Virtual machines eat your heart out. :D
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I just got rid of a 2x 400 mhz PII dell server similar to that. It was snappier than any modern vista desktop!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    hypnotoad wrote: »
    I just got rid of a 2x 400 mhz PII dell server similar to that. It was snappier than any modern vista desktop!
    What OS was it running?

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,030 Admin
    It's difficult to believe that the battery in that server's UPS lasted for more than five years. If it doesn't have a UPS, it's probably been crashed by power outages/fluctuations over a dozen times, which makes its resiliency even more amazing.