CCENT or CCNA?

fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
I just got finished with taking my Network+ today and passed with a 790 icon_thumright.gif, and I have previously completed the CCNA academy. Though it was more than 7 years ago, studying for the Network+ has helped me get to a point I feel I am refreshed on the theory part of the OSI Model, the devices and other basic networking theory.

I was fired-up to get FINALLY get certified about 2 years ago so I bought the Cisco set again... "Wendell's books"

I have the following Cisco Press books that aligned to the following older exams.

640-821
640-811

My question is for the ones that have taken either the CCENT or the CCNA over the pass few years, and also the Network+...

icon_exclaim.gifplease feel free to voice your experience and opinions either way...icon_exclaim.gif

Do I need the newest books to pass the CCENT?

Do any of you feel I should just make the time to study and just do the single exam? icon_study.gif

I am not in the field perse, I just have a dream!
WIP:
Husband & Fatherhood Caitlin Grace born 8-26-2010

Future Certs:
Q1-2011 - INCD2, Microsoft or Linux (decisions, decisions...)

Comments

• kriscamaro68kriscamaro68 Member Posts: 1,186 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I am personally taking the 2 test route. The net+ is a good starter for the ccent but there is the osi model and then the way cisco sees the osi model. There is alot of info to cover for the ccna and i like the fact of taking the 2 test approach to break it in half so to speak. Plus I fell like I can spend more time on each area and learn it better rather then try to cram all that info into my head for the one test. Thats my opinion. Also I would recommend the new material cause things have changed.
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Ok, everyone please continue to give me your feedback... but I have almost definitely decided... CCENT

So now what studying materials would you recommend for me to take on this journey to the CCENT? icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • daJwaydaJway Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey! I just took the Net+ less than a year ago and just finished up my CCENT in the last week.

I can tell you there are some major differences between the two exams. Cisco seems to be more practical with simulations and drag and drops wereas comptia is more like all mulitple choice questions.

I have said it a lot on here, but if you want to take the CCENT which I suggest instead of the all-in-one CCNA, that you will need to refresh on a couple of topics such as:

Wireless
    Rip v1 and v2
    Commands including show ip int brief, show cdp neighbors detail, show ip route
    Know about how switches operate
    Know how to distinguish collsion domains and broadcast domains
    know a little bit about VLANs and what devices can talk on a vlan
    Know what password to use if both "enable password" and "enable secret" commands are used
    Know how to subnet because you could have a few simulations on the exam

Just the basics

You can do it as long as you study, study study and pratice!

Good luck

If you have any questions or get stuck on anything you can email me:
    daJway@hotmail.com

Jason
    Jason
  • msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I personally prefer the 1 test route (640-802) I finished up the Cisco Network Academy in 2006 and got certified right when I got out of that. It was the 640-801 then. As long as you know your stuff you'll pass the 640-802. To me it's just common sense... 2 tests or 1? Thats an easy question for me to answer.

If I was you I would just read your book, practice to material hands on, make sure you understand the material, and go give the 640-802 a shot! You got nothing to lose!
  • yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    msethk wrote: »
    I personally prefer the 1 test route (640-802) I finished up the Cisco Network Academy in 2006 and got certified right when I got out of that. It was the 640-801 then. As long as you know your stuff you'll pass the 640-802. To me it's just common sense... 2 tests or 1? Thats an easy question for me to answer.

If I was you I would just read your book, practice to material hands on, make sure you understand the material, and go give the 640-802 a shot! You got nothing to lose!

Nothing to lose other than $250.
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    The current exams are:
    640-822
    640-816

When taking both current exams, there are significant enough content changes and variations from the study material that you have to warrant getting newer material, but you can get by with reading the new CCNA study guides for 640-802 by either Odom or Lammle. Either one will cover enough material to complete the CCENT successfully if you do go the two exam route. The current study material that you have can be great supplemental information. What you'll need to do it comb through the forums for what people found to be excluded from the old version and the current version of the exam, then skip over those sections when reading the older study guides.
  • daJwaydaJway Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Personally speaking. I agree that the one test route is better to take because it combines questions from both test which I think makes it easier for someone who knows the ICND1 information really well.

I suggest for those who have the money to take the icnd1 to get a feel for how cisco test are and for the individuals just getting started off with networking. Since I have a little under 3 months to go before I grad from a Cisco network academy college I want to take the CCNA even though I took the CCENT simply because it gives me a better chance at passing (thats my opinion).

The CCNA all-in-one test is good for those who have been studying a while and have a good feel with cisco, but for someone who is not working in the networking field and hasn't had much experience with cisco I would suggest the two part test.
    Jason
  • genXrcistgenXrcist Member Posts: 531
    Going for the CCENT 1st as opposed to just earning the CCNA is of course, a matter of preference. My preference was to take the 640-802 because while I did have to study longer and harder, it was material that builds on itself. So, it wasn't like I was learning Greek and Latin at the same time, but rather English and then Advanced English.

Plus, the cost is the same in the end but be sure to check out the GetCertify4Less link on this forum and you can get significant cost savings on the exams(s).

IMO, why deal with the nervousness of going to the testing center twice when you can get it over with on one visit. :)

Oh, and get the new material too. I would think you would hate to fail the test because the questions you got covered material you hadn't seen before. The Lammle Sybex book (I used) is cheap too, $31.49 on Amazon.
    Amazon.com: CCNA

Best of Luck!
    1) CCNP Goal: by August 2012
  • the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I say go for the two test option (that is what I did). I feel it was the right decision because there is so much information to know for the exam. Plus it is a lot to do in the time limit that the one exam offers. Either way good luck!

As an aside Cisco has to advertise the CCENT better as all the employers I have been to have asked what is it?
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • fieldmonkeyfieldmonkey Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 254 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks for all the great feedback.

Alright, I think I'm set on this question and have decided to get the CCENT (640-822), and take the two test approach.

What would you all recommend as my primary studying material, seeing that I grew up with the Wendell Odom series of books, I'm leaning towards one ofthe Cisco Press books. Heck, I think I have a NetSim in them I have never used!

I like condensed versions of things though, I don't want to read a book that is going to go over every little detail and originating idea and history. I want the abridged version I guess.

So what would you all suggest??? icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
    Do you get the same amount of time for both the CCNA and the ICND1/ICND2? It's 90 minutes for all 3 tests?
    Scratch my earlier post. Looking over the NDA it appears that even mentioning "Length of Exam Segments" is a violation. :)
    genXrcist wrote: »
    Plus, the cost is the same in the end but be sure to check out the GetCertify4Less link on this forum and you can get significant cost savings on the exams(s).

Can you explain the discount on there? It shows exam vouches for ICND1&2 as being $132.50. How is that a discount?
    Ok, after reasearching this a little more... I'm starting to think I should go for the 640-802.

Someone please talk me out of it.

What's to say I study the whole "lammle" book and lose my confidence at the end, only to take the 640-822...I can still continue on studying more.

Does this make sense to anyone else?
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • Miikey87Miikey87 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I took the two test route and I had done all the CCNA courses about 4 years previously and only recently sat the exams after comming back to networking.

I felt it was better the 2 way route because you can focus on pieces for your exam. No need to rush/cram for the exam. learn the content thoroughly and it will build on itself when u get the ICND2.

I also found it a great motivator to want to know the next piece of the puzzle! I sat both exams within a total of 3 months.
    :study: - Never stop learning

Completed
    Microsoft: 70-640,70-642, 70-646, 70-652, 70-653, 70-662, 70 - 681, 71-169
    Cisco: CCENT, CCNA
    Citrix - CCA XenApp 6
  • NeekoNeeko Member Posts: 170
    msethk wrote: »

I've read and heard from various CCIEs such as the CBT teacher that the new exams are much harder. That they really require the student to apply the knowledge and fully understand it, rather than just state facts.

It is for this reason I think it would be extremely difficult to revise fully for the 640-802. There are so many fine details that could surafce in a question, it really is a lot of material to cover even if you are experienced.
    Can you explain the discount on there? It shows exam vouches for ICND1&2 as being $132.50. How is that a discount?

yanks,

That price includes their certification success document which is of course, unnecessary. Get signed up on their mailing list or check out the site early each month and you'll see that they'll get a new batch of Early Expire vouchers. With those you'll have like say, 10 days to schedule and take your exam but the price will make it worth while. I think I saw the ICND1/2 @ $69/each. I bought my CCNA exam voucher for $169.

So basically, study study study and then when you're close to being ready, watch for the new batch of Early expires to come in and then buy one of those. :)
    As for the 640-802..

Illud ab homine factum potest ab altero fieri potest.
    Lo que peude ser un hombre otro hombre tambien lo puede ser.
    ~~What one man has done another man can do.
    Neeko wrote: »
    I've read and heard from various CCIEs such as the CBT teacher that the new exams are much harder. That they really require the student to apply the knowledge and fully understand it, rather than just state facts.

It is for this reason I think it would be extremely difficult to revise fully for the 640-802. There are so many fine details that could surafce in a question, it really is a lot of material to cover even if you are experienced.

It all boils down to either knowing the material or not knowing it. Afterall, Cisco exams have never been "easy" not even the 640-801. I personally still prefer to take the CCNA in 1 test. I just can't find the logic in getting 55 questions on one test and 55 on another versus just one test with 55 questions. Regardlesss, either way is a good way to go. We're learning the material to actually network with Cisco equipment, not just pass a test. Whichever approach works for you is the best way to go. I just prefer to knock it out with 1 stone. :)
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    It's all about preference. I prefer to take the 2 test route for a couple reasons.

1. It allows me to focus more in depth on the material. This may not be true for some people, but I feel it is true for me.

2. The cost is the same in the end. I feel more comfortable spending $125 at a time. Even though I feel prepared for an exam, I could still fail it. It's happened on MS exams I've taken.

3. There are some HR people who will take your resume over another resume because you have the extra cert... HR people do not always know the meaning of the certs, they just might see that you have 1 more than the guy with a CCNA.

I will tell you that the 2 test route has had a couple drawbacks though.

The biggest drawback, is that I decided to take a break after passing the ICND1... Well, that break ended up lasting 3 months! It's just becomes harder to get back into study mode. So, I've been at it for about a month now, but the first week I spend reviewing ICND1 material again.

The next drawback (this is very minor for me) is that there isn't a market for CCENTs yet. People really want CCNA certified people around my area, even the MCSE isn't as in demand as the CCNA. This is only minor to me because I have a stable job that I like, but if I were looking for a job right now, I would definitely want a CCNA as soon as possible.

I hope these pros and cons can help you make your decision.
    Thanks for all the great feedback!

I believe I will start with the CCENT (640-822), as most of your recommended. So let me get this right, because I can't seem to find the exact information anywhere...

The (640-822) is a 55 question exam, and you need a passing score of _______?

And may I ask... People who have taken this particular exam...

What book would you suggest, along with any additional sources that have helped you? I want to get the CCENT and the CCNA over the two course exam within 3 months, 4 tops!

Yes, I'm agressive (only because I have put it off, wayyyyy too long!)
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    rpfutrell wrote: »

It's 50-60 questions, the passing score is not published and is subject to change.
    I want to get the CCENT and the CCNA over the two course exam within 3 months, 4 tops!

The single exam only gets you CCNA, if you want both you have to take the two exam route.
  • Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
    Thanks for all the great feedback!

I believe I will start with the CCENT (640-822), as most of your recommended. So let me get this right, because I can't seem to find the exact information anywhere...

And may I ask... People who have taken this particular exam...

What book would you suggest, along with any additional sources that have helped you? I want to get the CCENT and the CCNA over the two course exam within 3 months, 4 tops!

Yes, I'm agressive (only because I have put it off, wayyyyy too long!)

Unfortunately it is a violation of the NDA to tell you the passing score and even the number of questions.

As far as study materials go, I personally find the Sybex books the easiest to read. I've read both Cisco Press and Sybex, and I just feel that the Sybex books present the data in a way I can understand better. Of course, I do encourage you (if you can afford it) to pick up both.

Also, you will need some routers/switches or at least a good simulator to practice with.

The thing that I would encourage you to be the most comfortable with would be subnetting. Try going to subnettingquestions.com and spend at least 15 minutes a day doing these question... You should be able to get to the point where you are getting those answers in at least under 20 seconds.

Best of Luck!
    Thanks for the responses...

I am taking the path of doing two exams.

It seems interesting that it's against the NDA to discuss the # of questions and the % you need to achieve a passing score. Nothing major, I just think it's very ODD, that they don't want you to know to the point it's against the NDA to even discuss it. It's kind of like Cisco is saying make sure you know 100% of the material.

Which I"m sure is a very rare accomplishment, (when and if) someone has ever got 100%.

That is a big "am I ready" determining factor to know if I am hitting 75% will I pass or do I need to study more to get 80% to pass. Again, it just seems really ODD, to not put those numbers out there for us.

Oh well, I guess I will just practice practice practice and study, study, study...

I am a big conspiracy fanatic, so I would think that keeping the "passing score / # of questions" a big secret, probably just adds more to there bottom line through training.

Whatever... I'm gonna get the book and get it done! icon_study.gif
    WIP:

Future Certs:
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Opps, I read 640-802.

Knowing the passing score isn't of much help anyway, because like most vendors questions are weighted differently. Sims are likely worth more than multiple choice, etc. I think the reason they don't publish it is so there isn't any problem when they change it, they could even change the score based on what questions are drawn from the pool.
    Thanks for the responses...

I am taking the path of doing two exams.

It seems interesting that it's against the NDA to discuss the # of questions and the % you need to achieve a passing score. Nothing major, I just think it's very ODD, that they don't want you to know to the point it's against the NDA to even discuss it. It's kind of like Cisco is saying make sure you know 100% of the material.

Which I"m sure is a very rare accomplishment, (when and if) someone has ever got 100%.

That is a big "am I ready" determining factor to know if I am hitting 75% will I pass or do I need to study more to get 80% to pass. Again, it just seems really ODD, to not put those numbers out there for us.

Oh well, I guess I will just practice practice practice and study, study, study...

I am a big conspiracy fanatic, so I would think that keeping the "passing score / # of questions" a big secret, probably just adds more to there bottom line through training.

Whatever... I'm gonna get the book and get it done! icon_study.gif

Well I'll give you some info...

640-802 is between 50-60 questions and you gotta make a 849/1000.

ICND1&2 are both between 50-60 questions and you gotta make an 804. Basically 80%.

Just know your stuff and you'll do fine.
  • mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    It's kind of like Cisco is saying make sure you know 100% of the material.
    That's pretty much it. I'm not quite sure why people feel the need to know the exact passing score -- do they plan to study just enough to get 79% of the available points. Are they going to answer just enough questions on the exam (according to their count) and then quit? That's kind of hard to do since Cisco also doesn't tell us how they grade the exam and which questions are ungraded beta questions. All we know about grading is that you do get partial credit for SIMs -- but we still don't know how many points they are worth.

The Cisco Career Certifications and Confidentiality Agreement says anything about the exam is Cisco Confidential -- and the number and types of questions are explicitly stated as being off limits. So you can't tell someone (or post online) that you had X Sims and Y Drag 'n Drops and Z questions on Topic A and N questions on Topic B.

From Cisco Online Certification Support
    As a matter of policy Cisco Systems, Inc. does not disclose the content of our certification exams. This includes exam pass marks, the exact number of questions on each exam, as well as the number of each type of question a candidate will see during their exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!

Speak of the Devil....

http://www.getcertify4less.com/ciscovue822ee.asp?REFID={5135CFF1-843A-4774-B66D-F107FFEFCA56}
  • meadITmeadIT Member Posts: 581 ■■■■□□□□□□
    genXrcist wrote: »

Just got that email too. Was able to cancel my Friday appointment and reschedule with the voucher. Saved me $50.
    CERTS: VCDX #110 / VCAP-DCA #500 (v5 & 4) / VCAP-DCD #10(v5 & 4) / VCP 5 & 4 / EMCISA / MCSE 2003 / MCTS: Vista / CCNA / CCENT / Security+ / Network+ / Project+ / CIW Database Design Specialist, Professional, Associate