2950 to 2950?

Jaguar0616Jaguar0616 Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
Please let me know if this has been answered before, but how do you connect 2 2950 switches back to back? I've tried a straight through and a cross over cable and don't get link lights for either. Is there some configuration on the switch I'm missing?

Thank you!

Comments

• yanks4everontopyanks4everontop Member Posts: 106
    Jaguar0616 wrote: »
    Please let me know if this has been answered before, but how do you connect 2 2950 switches back to back? I've tried a straight through and a cross over cable and don't get link lights for either. Is there some configuration on the switch I'm missing?

Thank you!

You need a crossover cable as I created a thread asking the same thing a few days ago. Are you sure the interfaces and vlan1 (assuming it's the default vlan) are active?
  • waymorrwaymorr Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You need a crossover cable and you also need to configure a port on each switch to trunk mode this will then allow your 2 switches to communicate.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk
  • phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    All of the above should get you there. The 2950's do not have Auto MDI as far as I know. Therefore you will need a croxx-over cable and you will need to configure the port as a trunk port with the dot1q trunking.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    You don't need to configure your ports as a trunk for the switches to communicate. Get the physical connection up first, then worry about trunking.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    FYI, 2950s don't support ISL, so the "switchport trunk encapsulation" command is not applicable.
  • jbaellojbaello Member Posts: 1,191 ■■■□□□□□□□
    kalebksp wrote: »
    FYI, 2950s don't support ISL, so the "switchport trunk encapsulation" command is not applicable.

I was just checking the encapsulation type, 2950 should already have 802.1q as it's default encapsulation it's the only one available, ISL is legacy and being faded out, the 3550 still has this.
  • StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Stotic wrote: »
    switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
    switchport mode trunk

I actually just came back because I remembered what others have said above. You do not need to specify encapsulation on a 2950 because ISL has been decontinued on them.
  • redboynonoredboynono Member Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    don't need config anything if the cross cable is good
  • miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    redboynono wrote: »
    don't need config anything if the cross cable is good

unless the port is configured to not allow communication.

just in case

issue the default int f0/X on both sides of the connection.
    In the default state the swtiches should link if the cross over cable is functional.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283