Options

Iptv

nezzy456nezzy456 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi Guys,

Just a personal interest question.

We currently have TV and Broadband from Tiscali in the Uk.
Our modem (Thompson model) reports speeds of 6800kbps - 7500kbps.

Now the IPTV is full screen e.g. It is on our main television with its own set top box which is plugged into one of the ethernet ports on the modem.

So does the IPTV take some of our internet bandwidth? Or would it take bandwidth from elsewhere? (where exactly I dont know but im just a n00b)

Also the IPTV seems very sluggish and jittery at peak times 6pm, would this be due to congestion?

Cheers
Nez

Comments

• Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    nezzy456 wrote: »
    So does the IPTV take some of our internet bandwidth?
    Eats into your available bandwidth. At most it'll do QoS on your local modem to prevent you from interfering with it.
    Also the IPTV seems very sluggish and jittery at peak times 6pm, would this be due to congestion?
    Yes
  • Options
    Cheers,

In an attempt to improve the service they have changed us to a 4Mbps connection.

How will this solve it? As I thought the problem was congestion lol....

Could someone let me know a good tool to monitor our internet speed to get an average for different times of the day etc

Thanks
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    How will this solve it? As I thought the problem was congestion lol....
    Around peak time, do you have other members of the house coming home and starting to download/upload things? They're increasing your link speed because they think that the problem is there. I assume that their end is sufficiently well connected that there shouldn't be a congestion problem.
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you've got a router that can run the Tomato firmware I know it keeps bandwidth logs. I'm sure there's other firmware out there that can do the same (probably DD-WRT), I'm just familiar with Tomato.

Tomato Firmware | polarcloud.com
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Around peak time, do you have other members of the house coming home and starting to download/upload things? They're increasing your link speed because they think that the problem is there. I assume that their end is sufficiently well connected that there shouldn't be a congestion problem.

Nope, no my house mate hasnt there is only him.

Interestingly though in Sep 08 when we took out the Broadband 8Meg and IPTV things were fine, the modem was reporting 7600kbps almost religiously I dont think I ever saw it drop.

Then 1 month ago it started to fluctuate, 6800kbps, 7000, 6850, etc... And the internet became temperamental, this continued to happen until a week ago when the TV started to suffer.

Tiscali have since (i.e today) dropped us to 4000kbps max and it seem to be okay so far, but when we do a speed test and the IPTV is on the test reports speeds of 600-800kbps...

Rather annoying as we are paying the extra cash for 8Meg.

Any idea why the service has recently degraded?

Cheers
  • Options
    arwes wrote: »
    If you've got a router that can run the Tomato firmware I know it keeps bandwidth logs. I'm sure there's other firmware out there that can do the same (probably DD-WRT), I'm just familiar with Tomato.

Tomato Firmware | polarcloud.com

I will have a look and see thanks