Options

Anyone ever mess with HP’s Drivelock on a laptop?

pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
So I have this laptop at work. It has been Drivelocked, which I’m guessing is some sort of encryption so that you cannot view drive data. I don’t want the data off it, I just want to repurpose it.

I can get into the bios and disable to drivelock, but I can’t install XP. XP Sp2 install tells me I have *no* hard drive present. Fedora 10 install however, works perfectly. WTF?

Anyone know a way around this or to reset the MBR? I’m thinking that’s what needs to be done, but again windows doesn’t even recognize that it’s there so I can’t reset the MBR from the recovery console.

Comments

• Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    pwjohnston wrote: »
    So I have this laptop at work. It has been Drivelocked, which I’m guessing is some sort of encryption so that you cannot view drive data. I don’t want the data off it, I just want to repurpose it.

I can get into the bios and disable to drivelock, but I can’t install XP. XP Sp2 install tells me I have *no* hard drive present. Fedora 10 install however, works perfectly. WTF?

Anyone know a way around this or to reset the MBR? I’m thinking that’s what needs to be done, but again windows doesn’t even recognize that it’s there so I can’t reset the MBR from the recovery console.

Check to make sure that you disable Native SATA mode in the BIOS or download the correct controller driver from the HP website. We've got quite a few HP notebooks in my environment and all have this exact same issue.
  • Options
    pwjohnstonpwjohnston Member Posts: 441
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Check to make sure that you disable Native SATA mode in the BIOS or download the correct controller driver from the HP website. We've got quite a few HP notebooks in my environment and all have this exact same issue.

Disabling the native SATA worked great. Thank You!