networks in real life

shrkoshrko Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all ,,,
This is my first topic at this forum and im very glad to be with all of you ,,,

I have been reading sybex 5&6 addition for an year now !!!
Yes for an year (coz I want to master the subject very well )
My qustion is for those People in the Field
After you got ccna or even ccnp
What is your daily work with routers & switches &networks …..
thanks ,,,,

Comments

• phantasmphantasm Member Posts: 995
    You have some interesting formatting in your post. However to answer your question, that will vary by job. There is no solid answer that fits every situation.
    "No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man." -Heraclitus
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm guessing his native language is read right-to-left.

Unfortunately, I can't give you a solid answer. However, you may want to check out this book: Amazon.com: Network Warrior: Gary A. Donahue: Books It's a good post-CCNA read that takes a more real-world approach.
  • tmlerdaltmlerdal Member Posts: 80 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Well, for me I could say my typical day is, get to work, get something to drink, check email, check logs,.....then who knows.
  • empc4000xlempc4000xl Member Posts: 322
    come in check tickets, try to hide from work. Defending that the problem is theirs, not ours. Learning more on troubleshooting. Learning new ways to solve problems. Growing as a engineer is the daily life.
  • shrkoshrko Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    sory for the formatting , english isnt my mother language ,,,

thankx all for repling ,,,,
  • msethkmsethk Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    tmlerdal wrote: »
    Well, for me I could say my typical day is, get to work, get something to drink, check email, check logs,.....then who knows.

That sounds just like a typical day for me as well :D
  • mamonomamono Member Posts: 776 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I ordered a copy of Network Warraior also. I'm trying to get into the frame of mind when it comes to networking here at work since everything is so new. Trying to read about real world application and perspectives since the study guides were purely information and application only.
  • DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    I work in a Network Operations Center..

You have to do alot of monitoring..
    We use a program that monitors all the switches of our client through SNMP traps.
    We view the alarms and take action.

The action we take is we write a ticket on it (As this is the process)
    Depending if it is a physical problem or not, we log into the switch, view it's log and depending on what it says, we will call up a "Site Contact" who will look at the switch or router, depending on what you tell them to take a look at.

We also do IMACS (Install, Moves, Adds & Changes)
    Since we are a dedicated Network Group, we just do the config changes according to what the IMAC ticket says.

Another thing we do is "Request for Change" (RFC) which is where we either
    A: Add a new device to a growing network
    B: Replace a faulty device

We get alot of emails from Engineers, On-Site techs, Verizon (Because they monitor the WAN and we specifically monitor the LAN)

Sometimes when your monitoring the network and you see a whole bunch of switches go down from the same Site such as "Houston" or "Texas City" or wherever your Client's Switches are located, you would then have to call up Verizon and see if they are having any issues with their Routers, hence that would be a logical reason why all the switches are going down at your site.

Other than that.. alot of other stuff is just specific procedural stuff according to our contract/company etc.. but in a Nutshell you monitor, determine the problem, take action, make phone calls , do configurations and just basically keep the network (in our case , the LAN) up and functioning like it should..

So yes, the more you read .. the better off you will be..

I strongly advise investing in a Virtual Lab.. They will teach you EXACTLY what you will do in a Live environment! No joke.. I have one and its just like what i do here at work ALOT!

Trust me and Good luck! Hope this helps!
  • shrkoshrko Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanx for all your rsponding ,,,,

DerekAustin26 ,,,, man thanx a lot

Im very gredfull for all of you ,,,,,
  • ElvisGElvisG Member Posts: 167
    I strongly advise investing in a Virtual Lab.. They will teach you EXACTLY what you will do in a Live environment! No joke.. I have one and its just like what i do here at work ALOT!

Please go into detail of what is in your Virtual Lab? I've never worked in a NOC but I would like to prepare just in case.